• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco finally ate chop, happy happy

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
I've been thinking about trying to make a similar "cookie" that Caitec makes then add in things that are really good for him especially vitamin A stuff. I'm going thru an entire house reorganization right now w/ a friend. My oven has been down forever & is on the soon list. Part of the reason I've been exhausted & brain foggy lately. If & when it's replaced I'm going to try.

That being said they're great! I'm gluten free & even I can eat them. Buddy gets 1/4 a day & LOVES them.

I posted this on another thread but here they are as a pic. Less than $6 full price @ one of the commercial "Pet" stores. I bought all 3 kinds they carried & this was the 1st opened 1.

View attachment 322517

View attachment 322518

@Snowghost
Because Paco is so much bigger than Buddy my guess is he'd eat a half a day to get his fill.
One of my budgies loves these. (I think they smell good.) The other bird ignores them.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They taste good too, @ least the tropical. I always eat something new w/ him, whenever I can. I figured after the whole WDs thing that they would immediately get thrown to the floor. He saw me & gobbled it right up when I didnt get poisoned. Lol! I hate that there's brown rice syrup in them though.

@Snowghost As for a healthier base I know Danitsa's got a few other choices for a premade base for bread. I don't know that @JoJo&Loki has ordered from AO yet, I haven't. Be careful when a mix calls for milk because birds are lactose intolerant. That means allergy & can make Paco more suseptable to illness if given too often because longterm high volume allergy reavtions can knock anyone's immune system down. I was on the cornbread thread but didn't know there was a milk addative. You probably could've gone w/ 2 eggs & a little water to keep the milk out of that recipe. Frozen veggies are a great addition to Paco's diet. Maybe there are other issues like temperatures. I know you've played with it a bit. Have you tried giving the veggies frzn like in his water dish? Every fid is an individual. Buddy eats more when I warm them from the fridge. He prefers them heated up most of the time. Bananas are a good point w/ ripeness, Buddy too will turn up his nose if they are over ripe, & I can't blame him (I don't like them either).

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:D The number one reason I make my mix with cooked grains ( hard red wheat berries, white wheat berries, kamut, pearled barley, pearled farro, quinoa) is that I can change up my vegetables without too much notice but I try to not add too much of a new vegetable that would be noticed. I make different mixes with quinoa added in and freeze those separately. I have my baggies of the cooked grains, then I have my baggies of 1 mix consisting of cooked quinoa ( about 2 cups) and I finely chop in my processor mini sweet peppers ( 8 at least), 4 finely chopped jalapenos, 4 serrano peppers finely chopped, 3 carrots finely chopped ( cooked covered in a bowl in the microwave till soft), finely chopped kale, and one pink lady or honey crisp apple finely chopped and cooked. The peppers and kale do not get cooked. All of these ingredients are mixed together thoroughly and put into sandwich zip lock bags to freeze. Don't fill them too full or it's hard to break chunks off to thaw. They like the spicy sweetness and they get a variety of goodies. Mix 1 is served by itself and not tossed in with any other cooked grains. With the cooked grains.... I put a couple of three tablespoons in a small bowl frozen, I also have vegetable pasta precooked ( and frozen) in separate baggies and put five or six rotini pasta in and thaw in the microwave for 45 seconds covered. I add some of MIX 2 which consists of finely chopped sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash and apple... in a large bowl I mix them together and cover and microwave for 8-9 minutes until it's soft. I stir the cooked mixture, add in 2 cups of cooked quinoa, add red palm oil ( Nutiva) and then a couple of teaspoons of ceylon cinnamon to flavor. It's a big bowl of mix when thoroughly combined and then divided into zip lock bags, pressed flat and frozen so I can break pieces off to add this MIX 2 in with my cooked grains and vegetable pasta. Lola and Henry eat more of the flavored mixes with the ceylon cinnamon than the mixes I had done for years for them. When I prepare a small bowl using all my mixes out of the freezer ( Good Lord I have baggies all over the counter like a mad scientist creating a meal) I will chop some zucchini by hand fresh ( minced tiny so they can't pick it out)... steam it on a plate covered for 24 seconds in the micro so it's soft to eat and this past week I've been adding in some cooked finely diced parsnips in too. I tend to over serve but they eat what they want and really can't avoid eating anything in particular. Oh... and I do sprinkle some thick rolled oats to help absorb moisture.. let it sit for a few minutes and serve. I've always served their meals warm. Heads down in the bowl for 10 - 15 minutes chowing.... later.... giant poops will follow. They will also eat their pellets after consuming a good quantity of the cooked foods... then they sleep for a while. When I put them up for the night they get a teaspoon of seed, almond, and walnut or pecan pieces, whatever other goodies I have on hand. They're happy to go in their cages with their treats. No wonder they poop so much. Only pellets all day long.

P1010150.jpg

PEPPER MIX 1
Pepper:Quinoa1.JPG

Vegetable mix 2 with Sweet Potato, Carrot, Butternut squash, apple, ceylon cinnamon
Squash Mash.JPG

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D The number one reason I make my mix with cooked grains ( hard red wheat berries, white wheat berries, kamut, pearled barley, pearled farro, quinoa) is that I can change up my vegetables without too much notice but I try to not add too much of a new vegetable that would be noticed. I make different mixes with quinoa added in and freeze those separately. I have my baggies of the cooked grains, then I have my baggies of 1 mix consisting of cooked quinoa ( about 2 cups) and I finely chop in my processor mini sweet peppers ( 8 at least), 4 finely chopped jalapenos, 4 serrano peppers finely chopped, 3 carrots finely chopped ( cooked covered in a bowl in the microwave till soft), finely chopped kale, and one pink lady or honey crisp apple finely chopped and cooked. The peppers and kale do not get cooked. All of these ingredients are mixed together thoroughly and put into sandwich zip lock bags to freeze. Don't fill them too full or it's hard to break chunks off to thaw. They like the spicy sweetness and they get a variety of goodies. Mix 1 is served by itself and not tossed in with any other cooked grains. With the cooked grains.... I put a couple of three tablespoons in a small bowl frozen, I also have vegetable pasta precooked ( and frozen) in separate baggies and put five or six rotini pasta in and thaw in the microwave for 45 seconds covered. I add some of MIX 2 which consists of finely chopped sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash and apple... in a large bowl I mix them together and cover and microwave for 8-9 minutes until it's soft. I stir the cooked mixture, add in 2 cups of cooked quinoa, add red palm oil ( Nutiva) and then a couple of teaspoons of ceylon cinnamon to flavor. It's a big bowl of mix when thoroughly combined and then divided into zip lock bags, pressed flat and frozen so I can break pieces off to add this MIX 2 in with my cooked grains and vegetable pasta. Lola and Henry eat more of the flavored mixes with the ceylon cinnamon than the mixes I had done for years for them. When I prepare a small bowl using all my mixes out of the freezer ( Good Lord I have baggies all over the counter like a mad scientist creating a meal) I will chop some zucchini by hand fresh ( minced tiny so they can't pick it out)... steam it on a plate covered for 24 seconds in the micro so it's soft to eat and this past week I've been adding in some cooked finely diced parsnips in too. I tend to over serve but they eat what they want and really can't avoid eating anything in particular. Oh... and I do sprinkle some thick rolled oats to help absorb moisture.. let it sit for a few minutes and serve. I've always served their meals warm. Heads down in the bowl for 10 - 15 minutes chowing.... later.... giant poops will follow. They will also eat their pellets after consuming a good quantity of the cooked foods... then they sleep for a while. When I put them up for the night they get a teaspoon of seed, almond, and walnut or pecan pieces, whatever other goodies I have on hand. They're happy to go in their cages with their treats. No wonder they poop so much. Only pellets all day long.

View attachment 322608

PEPPER MIX 1
View attachment 322609

Vegetable mix 2 with Sweet Potato, Carrot, Butternut squash, apple, ceylon cinnamon
View attachment 322610
Goodness this looks so good & filled to the brim w/ Vitamins.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He is now on a brown rice kick. How can a bird nibble so gently from my finger tips, chomp my arm? I'm confused and frustrated. He never bit his previous owner. He does like warm veggie pastas, and he has nibbled on a thawed out strawberry. Months ago he ate everything, banana's, strawberries, green pepper, broccoli, apples, oranges, now he is mister picky.

He is Mr Chatter box, I try to keep a routine, however, lots of stress from being out of work, wonder if he senses that?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just remember all rice contains levels of Arsenic. Ut pulls ut naturally from the soil. When Buddy gets it, (a few times a month). I give him enough to entice him to eat tge veggies I sneak into it. Frozen muxed wk great for this. I don't give it every day because no one measure's how much is in it or how much get into the bird when they eat it. Obviously, sprouted is vest but ruce tends to mold when the climate &moisture is just right. It's a pain in tbe summer @ my house.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
No I didn't know that. Why is it recommended as being healthier then white rice? Parrot diets just got more confusing for me...

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe it has to do w/ the carbohydrates & how they morph in the body, to sugars. Our cat (years ago) became diabetic & we used Brown rice to try to stabilize her sugar levels.

There are 3 types of rice that supposedly have lower levels of arsenic in them. I cannot remember the third.

@Mizzely probably knows the 3 by heart... W/ the brand new baby I'm not sure how much she's been on.

I believe it's Jasmine, & Brown rice but am not 100% positive. Feed in moderation as you don't want to tax Paco's system. I believe its a couple times a week. There are other grains like whole oats, quinoa & barley that you can try too. Don't use packets of oatmeal as the sugar levels are through the roof. Be sure to cook or sprout before feeding.

The few others but I still haven't worked them all out to full understanding & as a healthy diet item for our fids. I'm really tired tonight & that may be part of the issue of not thinking of the other ones.

:hug2:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have some oats, I sprinkled them on his food, he didn't care for it, maybe will try cooked. I have bought all kind of seeds, Flax, Chia and Sesame and sprinkle on food, nope he won't touch them. They are the ones you get in little packs in the Hispanic isle. Wonder if they will sprout? Quinoa is out of my price range right now. He is back to nibbling on banana's. He is happy, chattering, learned a new whistle, better with the biting, no more hitting the top of my head when I clean his cage. I look up at him and tell him no, and he backs up. His feathers are growing, slowly but he looks so nice after his water bottle shower.
I have some oats, I sprinkled them on his food, he didn't care for it, maybe will try cooked. I have bought all kind of seeds, Flax, Chia and Sesame seeds.

Speaking of showers, I fill the water bottle up twice since he is bigger then Bugsy (my Amazon). Last Saturday he really got into it, shaking his body and lifting he wings. I can tell he is feeling more comfortable around me.

At night now, I hear him grinding his beak and it is a welcoming sound that he is settling in. It warms my heart.

Sometimes I envy people like Burt that have a tame baby and talks all of the time and sits on your arm and plays. Working with Paco is challenging but the little accomplishments are big ones for me.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Mockinbirdiva Great ideas, what is the brand of veggie pasta? I tried to decipher the name on the box, but I"m striking out. Are you in Virginia too? Hopefully I can find it in my area, there aren't a lot of choices here.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva Great ideas, what is the brand of veggie pasta? I tried to decipher the name on the box, but I"m striking out. Are you in Virginia too? Hopefully I can find it in my area, there aren't a lot of choices here.
I buy this pasta at Kroger. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. Here's a better view of the box: BTW... I love the only ingredients are vegetables! The brand name is Cybele's and this is what it looks like cooked. It doesn't take long, the water will get thick once cooked and I do give it a rinse in a strainer, let it drain and then bag and freeze so I can pull portions out. Don't fill your bags too full.

P1010148.jpg

P1010152.JPG

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Mockinbirdiva Thanks for the picture, I'll see if my local Kroger has it. I know what you mean about all veggie, I've read the box on some of them and they have flour mixed in with them. I just throw a small amount in a left of sour cream container and nuke for 2 minutes. Does the past get soggy after frozen and heated?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I get spiral veggie noodles at the bulk food barn here. All vegetable with no wheat at all.
Tinker prefers them raw like finger food.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen So you mean, not cooked at all? Crispy noodles? I think you mentioned a food barn before, we don't have them here. I did find the pasta online for $32.00 yikes!

Good news! Paco loves his warm oatmeal. So no more brown rice.

Will look up some recipes for corn bread. Does anyone have a good one? He gobbles that up and I can hide chopped veggies in it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva Thanks for the picture, I'll see if my local Kroger has it. I know what you mean about all veggie, I've read the box on some of them and they have flour mixed in with them. I just throw a small amount in a left of sour cream container and nuke for 2 minutes. Does the past get soggy after frozen and heated?
You're welcome. If your Kroger doesn't have it ( they should... it's over in the section with specialty foods) If you don't over cook the noodles they will not be soggy after frozen and reheated. I do rinse them and let them drain in a strainer before bagging them up to freeze. They will hold their shape when thawed... I also chop them into bits and add them in with my cooked grains and fresh vegetables. I pretty much chop everything fine to mix together so they can't pick out favorites. The only downside... is a piggy bird with a covered beak that will get wiped on EVERYTHING. It's the price you pay for a happy camper when it comes to digging into a bowl of goodness. :D

Here's a photo of the side of the box with the ingredients listed for the beet pasta. Cybele's also have 3 other different pastas with other veggie only ingredients.

P1010149.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@BertAllen So you mean, not cooked at all? Crispy noodles? I think you mentioned a food barn before, we don't have them here. I did find the pasta online for $32.00 yikes!

Good news! Paco loves his warm oatmeal. So no more brown rice.

Will look up some recipes for corn bread. Does anyone have a good one? He gobbles that up and I can hide chopped veggies in it.
I don't remember what brand of spiral veggie noodles I've bought... but one package was zuchini spirals and the other was butternut squash spirals... those are pure spiral cut vegetables. Or... you can make your own with a handheld spiral cutter... there are bigger models of spiral cutters too.... more expensive. I did buy one of these for my husband one year as a stocking stuffer ( he doesn't use it). I just find that chopping my veggies fine and mixed in with other ingredients I'm able to get my birds to eat a more varied diet making it too tiny for them to be too selective. I would suggest trying one of the birdie bread mixes instead of the corn bread and adding your extra veggies to one of those. You have two birds so it would go a long way.

Here's the small hand held spiral cutter I bought.... got it at Walmart but I'm sure a lot of places sell this or something similar.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks guys, yeah, I learned the secret of chopping fine and mixing it in with his favorites. We have now switched from brown rice to oat meal and he loves it. Too funny with oat meal all over his beak! He hates cell phone and camera, will have to sneak a photo with my new zoom lens. (Birthday present to me)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have a second, :greet5: I found Cybeles on Amazon & I believe Walmart has 1 type.

For Quinoa try Aldis. It's like 4 or 5 dollars compared to everyone elses 7-10. Much more in the budget.

I'm so happy for you about all the settling in that Paco's doing!!! Beak grinding :dance4::DancingChilli::dance5:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yeah I thought the beak grinding was a big deal, I was laying in bed reading and heard him. Just warms my heart, I had a big silly grin on my face I'm sure.