• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco finally ate chop, happy happy

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well this morning I made birdie bread, my second attempt and this time I chopped up the veggies in the small chopper (first time he could pick out the peas and throw them) I did a organic veggie mix, cranberries, (he throws on the floor) green pepper and broccoli. Before adding to bread mix i thought why not see if he will nibble some off of my finger like he does brown rice. When I give him something special I get him excited and say, "Paco want a treat" He ate the chop, I am a happy bird mom right now. It took 8 months and I worried so about his diet. First chop I made had leafy greens in it. Maybe that was a turn off who knows.

I can't express how grateful I am to all of you for your continued support, suggestions and just plain ole putting up with me.'

His chest feathers are coming in and it is too funny looks like he has little hands sticking out on each side of his body.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Great news.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Excellent news, I am so happy for you :)

Dorcas George

It took 8 months and I worried so about his diet. First chop I made had leafy greens in it. Maybe that was a turn off who knows.
I can't express how grateful I am to all of you for your continued support, suggestions and just plain ole putting up with me.'
I didn't see the earlier thread, but had to smile reading this. I have been posting how, after SEVEN months, my budgie, who refused anything but seed, has become a broccoli maniac. Along with his new little budgie pal, who has been with me for a bit over a month. I had almost given up. A couple of weeks ago they actually ate pellets instead of just seed, and then next step was broccoli. I had tried peppers, sweet potatoe, carrots, romaine lettuce, apple...BROCCOLI was like magic. The two little guys fuss over who gets it first! And then, as long as I mixed it with tiny bits of broccolli top, they are a little carrot. LOL! I feel your joy. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Sigh, now he won't touch it, I swear I think I have the most finicky eating bird on this forum.
I think they are like any other animal including us and get tired of the same old. If you think about it in the wild they get their favorite foods at different times of the year as the seasons change.
Tinker won't touch his leafy greens or broccoli right now so I have quit offering it for awhile.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep Buddy too. Likes Broccoli then wants a carrot, then some celery pieces & then noodles. Throw a egg in & maybe some spaghetti. Then squash.

I buy @ minimum 2 veggies to last a week - week & a half & usually 2 to 3 fruits. Then rotate to all new. I just started trying some things I don't really eat or never tried in my life time. Wrote a bit on it here.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think they are like any other animal including us and get tired of the same old. If you think about it in the wild they get their favorite foods at different times of the year as the seasons change.
Tinker won't touch his leafy greens or broccoli right now so I have quit offering it for awhile.
Actually, Henry and Lola like the same'o same'o grub every day. If I change it up too much they eat less. When I make new batches it takes them a little while to warm up to a new flavor. The past week I've been sneaking in some good portions of cooked acorn squash and cooked parsnips to their cooked grains. So far they're eating enough quantity to make me happy I can sneak more veggies into them.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been thinking about trying to make a similar "cookie" that Caitec makes then add in things that are really good for him especially vitamin A stuff. I'm going thru an entire house reorganization right now w/ a friend. My oven has been down forever & is on the soon list. Part of the reason I've been exhausted & brain foggy lately. If & when it's replaced I'm going to try.

That being said they're great! I'm gluten free & even I can eat them. Buddy gets 1/4 a day & LOVES them.

I posted this on another thread but here they are as a pic. Less than $6 full price @ one of the commercial "Pet" stores. I bought all 3 kinds they carried & this was the 1st opened 1.

20191203_160153.jpg

20191203_160238.jpg

@Snowghost
Because Paco is so much bigger than Buddy my guess is he'd eat a half a day to get his fill.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I can agree, but I'm running out of things to feed him. Now he is on cucumber and apple kick. I thought cucumbers had too much water in them and should not be given to them a lot?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow He has no problems with fruit, but now he won't even eat banana's. I'll try the 2 veggie change up ever week and see how that goes. He likes frozen carrots, I heat up a frozen mix, is that still healthy? Then he would gobble canned string beans, all salt free of course. He sure keeps me hopping, I'm like a dectective scouring the veggie department trying figure out something he will eat.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well now he is back to being Mr. Picky, won't eat what he used to like even if I don't feed it to him for weeks. I resorted to hiding veggies in birdie bread which is what he devours.
If he didn't see it for weeks it probably will get the evil eye that it may be a predator in disguise. :cautious: I have to show my bird food consistently so it doesn't cause alarm. That's why so many people offer a chop type food mix. It consistently looks pretty much the same to the bird and doesn't set off alarm bells.

You mentioned him not liking bananas any longer in one of your posts; around here bananas have to be fed at just the right time of ripeness or they are given the side eye. My bird loves them but if offered in a too ripe stage, he will turn them down every time.

I resorted to hiding veggies in birdie bread which is what he devours.
That's great that he likes birdie bread!! He sees it everyday and it looks pretty much the same and he likes that!! No predators hiding in there :xflove: It's perfectly fine to get those veggies into a healthy birdie bread recipe. I still offer fresh daily but rely on that method to get the veggies eaten and not just served. You may want to start with a Harrison's Birdie Bread base.

Edited to add: A frozen mix of vegetables is very healthy

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Is there a home made recipe for birdie bread? I used Jiffy Corn bread mix, and it has milk and one egg in it. Glad food isn't one thing he is scared of. He just eye balls it cautious and then nibbles. I'll have try the banana's again. He won't touch leafy greens, and to be honest I've tried the raw kale and pomegranate, its bitter, no wonder he won't eat it.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a home made recipe for birdie bread? I used Jiffy Corn bread mix, and it has milk and one egg in it.
I would try to find a healthy cornmeal recipe base if he likes the cornmeal base taste instead of the box mix. I'll see what I can find. Jiffy Bread mix contains lard and hydrogenated lard.

He won't touch leafy greens, and to be honest I've tried the raw kale and pomegranate, its bitter, no wonder he won't eat it.
I agree with you about the Kale :depressed:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It does get me to try healthy foods as well, we even tried Mano, ugg nasty stuff I will look for recipes from scratch. I do like Kale salad, I think any green tastes better with something on it. Hmmm maybe create a birdie vinegarette? LOL I'm kidding.