• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco bit me! How to handle this situation

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There were 5 in his report, google it. There were name brand toothbrushes and he describes a V shaped bundle of bristles placed in a hole and secured with a rectangular metal clip.
Ahhh ha ha..... That's silly as heck. Who buys those any way? Guarantee one I use for Grayson to mimic combing and shaving does not have metal clips....they're made for children and babies! Not the bionic man.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I missed the toothbrush comment, sorry. @Hawk12237 Dr. Kersting is my avian vet. I know an article exists that he didn't recommend toothbrushes.

My vet did a paper on it. Look up David Kersting DVM A Clinical Case of Zinc Toxicosis and Potential Copper Toxicity from Toothbrushes

Not adult ones or China made crap. I use baby ones or children ones and besides...not as permanent toy. It's used when I shave and comb hair, he sits on shoulder and mimics shaving and combing hair. When I'm done he's done. When I brush teeth, I set his and say brush beak, and I run it on his beak to clean it. He noted the Britols some times. Zinc toxicoses? Ha ha ha, where the he11 did they but that tooth brush from? Dollar store china? That I would be tempted to believe.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Ha ha ha, where the he11 did they but that tooth brush from? Dollar store china? That I would be tempted to believe.
Crest, Oral B, Reach . . .

I don't know what year the article was written.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
There were 5 in his report, google it. There were name brand toothbrushes and he describes a V shaped bundle of bristles placed in a hole and secured with a rectangular metal clip.
I was thinking of this and figure the clips must be to hold the bristles before they mold the handle around them.
Never took one apart before but will later as I use them for cleaning small parts in my shop.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Ok I forgot then remembered when I was cleaning parts in the shop.
This is the small metal that hold the bristles after they are pushed into the handle.
Most disappeared when I ran it through the band saw. there is one left in the blue bristles.
It is not magnetic so I'm going to presume it is aluminum or stainless steel.
20190702_131326.jpg

I then cut the handle apart and found no metallic parts.

20190702_131424.jpg
20190702_131511.jpg

I certainly wouldn't let my bird chew on the bristles but the handle should be good as it is quite firm.

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Years ago on a different message board we followed quite a lengthy thread from an online friend whose Macaw had to be treated for lead poisoning because she chewed on a toothbrush.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok I forgot then remembered when I was cleaning parts in the shop.
This is the small metal that hold the bristles after they are pushed into the handle.
Most disappeared when I ran it through the band saw. there is one left in the blue bristles.
It is not magnetic so I'm going to presume it is aluminum or stainless steel.
View attachment 308785

I then cut the handle apart and found no metallic parts.

View attachment 308787
View attachment 308788

I certainly wouldn't let my bird chew on the bristles but the handle should be good as it is quite firm.

Thanks for sharing this, it's an eye opener that's for sure!