• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Packer is dead...help!

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
I'm in shock. I haven't been posting for a while because so much has happened. Not good things. More about that later.

I am getting tested for Covid on Thursday and am pretty sick, but I'll leave that for later. This is about Packer. He has not been sick, to my knowledge. Flying and eating as normal. Today he seemed sleepy. That was it. Just a few moments ago I heard a wham from the cage. Packer was on the floor. I took him out...he is dead. Frost is sitting at the back of the cage looking confused. Packer is next to me on the table.

Do I put Packer in the cage for a while to let Frost see him?

I lost my beloved cat earlier this week...grieving for her. Husband is in nursing home. Maybe temporary but maybe permanent. I'm sick. I have yet to get my cat of 16 years actually buried...and Packer is gone. What do I do? I can't think. Just bawling.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just so, so sorry to read this!! Especially with everything else that has happened! I'm sure Frost has seen his friend by now if he can see you and your poor Packer is on the table near you.

I don't know if this is something you want to do, but if it were me, I would want a necropsy done on my bird--just to be sure that it isn't something contagious that could harm the rest of my flock.

I'm just sending so many hugs and prayers to you, your sweet birdies and your husband.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh I am so so sorry! Lots of hugs and prayers! Birds can be so fragile.:sadhug2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any friends or family close by who can come over?

Edited to add: Yes, I know you are sick...I was just wondering if someone, with the proper protective gear, could come and help?

Dorcas George

Frost is sitting on a perch, looking down at Packer and twittering. Not next to him, but above him. I understand about the necropsy. Normally...nothing is normal...I would. The avian vet near me (I use the term loosely since he is 40 miles away) stopped seeing anyone new months ago because of Covid. I never did get either bird in. Tried when Packer was sick a few months back--some of you may remember--and ended up taking Packer to an animal ER in Milwaukee (not near) and even there, they have ONE avian vet and he never did see Packer. The regular ER vet did confer with him. I'm just kind of stunned and can't think. Frost is sitting as close to Packer as possible and still be up on a perch. At least he is twittering and has stopped calling. That was....unbearable. I'll take Packer out and wrap him up for now, I guess. Feeling a little...hysterical. And that's not who I am. This is just too much.

Dorcas George

Do you have any friends or family close by who can come over?
This is a two family house, and my daughter lives upstairs in an apartment with her husband and daughter. But...I think it is likely that I have Covid so they shouldn't come down. No other family, except husband who is in nursing home at the moment. I wrapped Packer up in a napkin. Frost is now calling again. I'm going to bed. Don't know what else to do, and feeling ill. I guess I'll cover the cage. Poor Frost. He is back in the doorway perch, looking at me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They needed to see each other. Animals accept death that way

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:sadhug2:
Oh, I am so sorry to read all of this. Hopefully it's just a cold. I don't know what to say about Packer. I'm so very sorry for your loss and stresses.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kassiani had good advice with the tea. I also suggest adding milk. I usually drink my tea black, but sugar/ honey & milk is best when shocked.

Glad to hear that Packer is in a napkin. It always makes me feel better when my pets have a proper shroud.

When you're done placing Packer in the fridge, please drink your tea, read something comforting for a couple of minutes & go to bed. Covid is serious; your being ill won't help your cat or Packer.

I'm very sorry this happened, but you need to take care of yourself now. Everything else can wait 'till morning.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry honey, you needed to show his freind his body, they do understand.. he will greive.. I'm also sorry your not feeling well,, please try to get some rest and start again in the morning,,❤I dont what else to say.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear of your losses of your cat and your sweet Packer. I really hope you are feeling better soon.
When little blue Pip died I left her in the cage with Squeak till Squeak gave up calling to her and went to a high perch and went quiet. It was sad and awful to witness and he did call a few more times over the following days but he settled and again found things to do and play with. They certainly grieve for the loss.

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Im so sorry for your losses, i hope you recover quickly. You did the right thing.