• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Packer Has a New Buddy!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have always loved white budgies. Observe them carefully for any sign of not feeling well and if noticed off to vet pronto.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
@Lady Jane
Are they more fragile than most? Maybe I should have stuck with the blue one I expected to choose. He is really WHITE! Astonishing how white, except for those little bits of color behind. I’d seen pictures but not an actual bird.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww Frost is beautiful! Both of your birds are - just adorable! :cloud9:
Please tell your granddaughter that she chose a wonderful name :)

It´s always a good idea to have a vet visit when bringing home a new bird. Just to make sure all is well.

Dorcas George

I’m thinking to leave them in separate cages for a while even though I messed up the quarantine. Not sure how long but want to keep working with Packer and hopefully get Frost a bit accustomed to me before I let them share a cage and ignore me for sure.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I love the name Frost as well, he certainly looks like a frost. Since he is accostomed to the hand I and Packer is right beside him, I would start offering Frost millet and start with the finger training (gradually). If Packer sees Frost is accustomed to humans he might follow suit.

Dorcas George

So far, Frost remains really scared so I hope that a few days of some music and sweet talk and millet (refused so far) will show me whether this tiny little guy really was “tame” or not! For Packer’s edification, and mine, I hope so. We shall see. Calling vet tomorrow for a visit for both. Packer needs a pedicure ;) . Gee, more handling so more scary stuff. :eek:

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Lol...yay! While on the topic of pellets, do you offer seed as well? There seems to be 2 schools of thought on this. I think that in the US they believe that pellets are a healthier diet while in the UK they believe that since budgies in the wild (Australia) eat a seed diet that this is more preferable (both offering fresh greens and veggies, of course). I am afraid that I am on the UK side of things. I am no expert however and I'm not sure if this is yet another hotly debated topic...lol.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
If he has started eating the pellets then I don't see anything wrong with offering him both. If he is turning up his beak at veggies or greens then I would keep trying but buy him the seed that is fortified with vitamins and continue with the pellets if he is eating them. I bought Sam pellets with "fun" colors and fruit and she looked at me like I had something wrong with me. She eats her kale, broccoli, and a host of other greens so I think the fortified seed mix is fine, and sprouts even better but I have told myself that if she don't like pellets then she don't like pellets...lol

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Funny, I used to give her kale that my daughter bought at the farmer's market but being that it is winter now I found a chop blend that is kale, broccoli, snow peas and cauliflower. Now I thought there would be no way and when i first offered it to her I chopped it up fine and put it in a dish next to her seed. Yup still there the nest morning. I emptied it out and for the next few days I just chopped up more. I thought that I would have to wait until next summer until she finally started dragging the kale out of the bowl to eat it and then the broccol, and then all of it!! I was stunned! So now Superstore Kale mix has my complete approval. lol.

Last edited:

Dorcas George

Frost ate from my hand this morning! The plan was to leave Packer and Frost in separate cages for a while. I took Packer away for some flying. As before, lots of budgie hollering ensued. Packer ALWAYS sits in the cage for at least half an hour working up his courage before flying. Today I opened the bedroom door right after making the switch to get something and Frost cheeped and...you guessed it...ZOOM! Packer was out of the cage and back to the dining room and Frost in about two seconds. He sat on top of the cage and resisted all attempts to move him elsewhere. Eventually I opened the door to the cage with Frost inside and in he went.

Friendly pecking, happy squawking, chasing around, etc. went on for a while. Then feeding each other. Then I offered millet and both hopped on my hand. They both fluffed up like puff balls. Preening began. I am wondering if I’ll ever be able to get Packer back to the other cage. When I approach cage Packer, as always, goes as far away as possible and then slowly approaches me. Frost doesn’t want to get on my hand yet, except wanted millet, but he scoots right over to the front of the cage and doesn’t mind if my face is right next to him. This wasn’t my plan, and I hope it all works out, but for now I’m listening to very happy squawks and cheeps.

EBEA4938-F144-45B9-8ED0-077E810B9B39.jpeg

CBDCB833-AB0F-457E-A160-F3FB11C94177.jpeg

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Awww...they look so happy together. Since Packer seems to want to be with his new friend and quarantine has been breached anyway, why not see how they get on in the same cage? You can always use the 2nd cage by putting them both together with the doors open so they can use both cages. Maybe bring both of them into the bedroom together and Frost can at least watch Packer fly (if he decides to leave the cage that is). At the very least they can both crawl outside of the cage together. They may give each other confidence. I'm so happy for Packer. He just needed a friend (of the feathered variety)....lol.

Dorcas George

Yes, I'm thinking I'll put them, and both cages, in bedroom, open cage doors and see. I hope Frost just goes out and climbs and doesn't try to fly. Poor thing can't even fly in cage and just moves around on the sides with hopping from perch to perch. I have to work a really long day tomorrow and Tuesday so it might have to wait. They have done a little squawking over the food dish (there are two but of course they both want the same one) but so far they are doing fine.

Last edited:

Dorcas George

One question. Frost is very fluffed up. She does not seem sick. She is hopping around, playing a bit, eating from my hand, though no hand sitting yet unless I have food, cheeping and squawking, etc. She wasn't fluffy till Packer joined her. Is she just trying to look bigger maybe?