• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Packer Has a New Buddy!

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so very sorry for your son. Here's hoping that everything goes well for him. As far as 1 step forward, 2 steps back, don't be so sure. They made progress today. I think they will be missing you. Never underestimate the bond with their one chosen human.
Thank you very much. Life around here is not easy. My husband is not well and hasn’t been for some time. And the thing with our son was an unexpected shock. He’s fortunate to be alive, but that doesn’t mean losing a foot isn’t tough. As for the birds, they are so funny, though hard to understand at times. You know how skittish Packer has been, and while Frost is better, he still is slow to tame as well. But when I come home after being gone sand they hear me at the door there’s immediate calling and squawking and chirping until I come over to them. And then, after a bit of
nervous silence, chirps and head bobbing. It does help. Though if I put my hand in the cage, chances are good they will scoot to the back corner. (I do miss poor little Breeze sometimes because she was feisty and inquisitive and certainly would have been tamer by now.) Anyway, we shall see how it goes when I get home.

Last edited:

Dorcas George

A little Packer and Frost update:
These two are a challenge for sure! Frost is still not tame, no stepping up, but also does not scoot instantly away when my hand is near. He has gently pecked my nose through the age a couple of time. :heart: Packer remains about the same, takes millet or seed quite readily from my hand, but still absolutely no stepping up. Little stinker is about a year old, I think, and has been here since the end of April! As for Frost, it is evident that Packer is the more excitable one, but also the skittish one, of course. I still wonder how much the Breeze tragedy set Packer back. Anyhow, Frost is the calm one but has also become quite vocal. They are loving their cage. I have opened the door several times in the small bedroom and I'd been contemplating letting them out in the large room where their cage is (combination big living and dining room). What usually happened when cage was open was that Packer would go out, fly a lap, go right back in. Frost, on the other hand, bumbled around and then would sit on top of the cage for a long while before going back inside.

ANYHOW, Frost made the decision for me. A couple of days ago, while I was clipping kale to the cage, Frost zoomed out, right past my hand. His flight feathers are looking good now--I'm SO glad they grew in relatively quickly! Packer soon followed.

Frost thonked into a large window, but not hard, thankfully. After some clumsy flying, Frost landed somewhere, though I don't know where. Packer managed to fly into the kitchen. Argh. Silence ensued. So I'm walking carefully, calling them and looking around and eventually I hear a tiny little "peep" from the kitchen. No sign of Packer, though I knew he was in there. Is he behind stove? Behind fridge? I'm calling, and get one more tiny little "peep." The silly little guy was perched on a chair rung, underneath a table. I lured him out and slowly back to cage top with millet and as soon as Frost heard that he was at the cage he zoomed back and to the top. Packer went right inside. Frost, as usual, sat on top.

Packer put his beak at the cage roof and called and called, but Frost was having none of it! LOL!

Eventually he came back in, so the good thing is that I know they can find their was, at least from the correct room.

Today was a repeat. Frost wants OUT! He is flying clumsily, but okay, and getting NO help from Packer, who just wants to come out and fly briefly and then go back in and try to get Frost back in too. Silly Packer.

My son, BTW, is healing well and will get a first try at a prosthetic mold this week. He has another surgery coming in early March which will remove some artery (which is plugged with plaque and clots). He seems okay with it however, and is in much better spirits.

Dorcas George

Sorry for all those typos.
And I meant to say that the artery my son will have removed is from his abdomen.

Dorcas George

So glad to hear that your son is making progress. I'm sure this has been a long road for him. Sounds as if Frost is wasting no time in perfecting his flying. Yay!! He'll be an old pro in no time.
This bird saga, starting on my birthday last April, has certainly not been what I expected. I’d never have thought that Packer would not be tame after daily interaction for 10 months! As for the supposedly tame little Frost, I am also surprised that he still refused to step up. I expect it will eventually happen, because I really don’t think he is afraid (much). Perhaps he is just taking his cues from skittish Packer, though that sure isn’t true when it comes to getting back in the cage. ;) Yep, I’m jealous of those here who have tame little budgies. Sigh. I sure do love them and their happy noise though.