• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Packaged Cooked Food for Budgies

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Okay, that's probably the least on-point title ever. And, I don't even have budgies, but since Bourke's aren't super common, they caucus with the budgies on food stuff.

Also, my birds do willingly eat pellets and assorted vegetables, so their basic diet is pretty okay.

Anyway.

To give them some variety in their diet, I got Mustrum and Esmerelda a packaged, cook and serve snack pack. <-that's the one I got them, but I'm talking about that type of food generally, rather than that specific flavor/manufacturer.

They were a little suspicious on the first day, but by the third day they were practically racing me to their dining table when I brought it in. I got the feeling that they think this whole time I've been holding out on the good stuff on them.

Anyway, they like it, and I'm certainly happy to make it for them. If they were bigger birds, I'd just present it in snack-sized servings and not worry about it. But, since they're so little, I do worry that this might not meet their nutritional needs and crowd out the better food.

The package nutritional info certainly looks like it's got healthy stuff in it, but, of course, in mixes it always depends on what they actually eat. I know they'd try everything, but based on what I was taking out at the end of their meal it seemed pretty clear that they really, really liked the pasta.

So, are these things something that can be a regular part of little parakeets' diets (like a couple/3 days a week), every once in a while as long as they eat their veggies first, or maybe for a special "gotcha day celebration" and even so, maybe only on the 5 year anniversaries?

Tikitiel

Meeting neighbors
Its ok to give them a bit not too much after they eat so they feel a bit full and dont overeat i use the same with my conuree he loves pasta so much

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally wouldn't make it a regular part of their diet. Pasta tend to be made of processed, non-wholegrain wheat so lacks the germ that contains most of the nutrients. If the pasta was made out of lentils or a more nutritious wheat alternative, I expect the manufacturer would make a bigger deal out of it. I would try out offering this every once in a while as long as they eat their veggies first - maybe every month or every two months.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Thanks. That's really helpful. Given how much they like it I kind of suspected that it might be in the "occasionally, as a treat" category.

Also, thanks for the idea about looking at other sorts of noodles - make them for myself and then they can get one or two as a "I love you so much, I cooked this special offering for you" treat.