• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pacing

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
my tiels have been pacing quite a bit this morning in their cage. i let them out of their cage a couple days ago... which i need to add they are not tame and they are fully flighted. so it was pretty difficult to get them back into their cage lol not sure if the pacing is because they want out or something else.. any ideas?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
It's most likely because they want to come out. Will they go back in their cage for dinner? If they will, that could be an option to get them back in at night.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They want out. Birds should get out of the cage time everyday. Millet spray can be a good go in your cage motivator.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I second using treats to get them back into their cage. Another funny trick that would work with Cookie is singing a really energetic song while clapping your hands, it would get all of his attention while I got him back into his cage! Not sure if I would suggest the clapping though, as it could scare them. If ALL ELSE fails, since this could scare them even more, get them in a room and close the lights so you can grab them gently, maybe with a towel if theyre scared of your hands. This is a last resort, though

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They definitely want out. Give yourself a lot of time, so you don’t have to rush to get them back in their cage. Don’t feed them when they are out, and sooner or later they should go back to eat. As mentioned, millet is a great motivator. You might want to start target and/or perch training so it’s easier to have them go where you want.

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
Thank you all for your feedback. They seem to want attention, but Rio is still very scared. Over had them for a week now and molly is the only one who will even get remotely close to me. She will eat millet if I'm holding the stick. But that's as far as she will go lol I will try letting them out after my boyfriend comes home so they wont have a chance to fly out the door.

I have a wooden stick to try start target practicing but molly hates it. Rio once again wont even come near me due to the previous owner ripping out his tail feathers trying to catch him.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@Rio&Molly19 That's so awful about Rio's tail! He's likely going to need a lot of time and patience after going through something so traumatic.

It's a good sign that they seem to want attention from you, and as others have said, millet is a great way to win them over. That's what I used to bond with my tiel. Just take things as slow or as fast as they're comfortable with. Letting them set the pace and respecting their boundaries will help them to trust you much more easily.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Do you have an extra perch like one inside the cage? If so try a perch they are familiar with to get them perch trained .

Your birds will be more motivated to be perch trained if you coax them to walk on the perch with millet by it, and if you are feeding them a healthy diet. 1 week isn’t very long , it took me one month to get my untamed budgies to eat millet from my hand.

If you are only feeding them seeds and pellets, they won’t care about treats very much because all they are eating is treats. Try feeding them sprouts and veges. In time they may enjoy their healthy food enough that u can remove their seed while they eat it. Then , use millet spray ( which is really just a branch of millet seeds ) to train them and tame them. It may take months before they eat enough healthy food to remove their seed for 2-3 hours so just keep your patience :) you got this!