• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

P65 warning on bird food?? What the heck is this??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have never in my life seen a frightening warning like this on food (maybe on pkts of cigarettes) of any sort before and to be honest I am kinda freaked out. The last bag of this brand did not have this scary warning on it. Can someone please explain to me (real simple) if I am feeding my bird cancer causing food? I am not in the right frame of mind to read, sift through and comprehend all the information on the site as it looks like it has a lot on there.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
I’ve just read about this proposition. Could it be that bird food manufacturer started manufacturing the food in a place where it can possibly get exposed to chemicals?
The same way they mention that chips and other things can have traces of nuts, wheat, etc. as they’re being produced in the same plant.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Oh geez..
@Gokha is right :(.

We try our best to keep our feathered friends safe and then.. this.
I completely understand you're freaking out and rightfully so.

To the best of my understanding the food or any of the ingridients was in contact with chemicals that the state of CA recognizes as
harmful to human health, potentially causing cancer or reproductive disturbance.
God only knows how harmful it potentially is to parrots.

I would discontinue using it immediately.

Also, can we get a heads up on what brand/ product?

One another thing that can be done is to check with the company to see whether they changed their supplier/ recepy/production facility/ production line/added new products to their production line.
(I also volunteer to write e-mails/ call / nag.. if you like)

And then asses if a consultation / visit to the vet or even your personal doctor is due.

I'm sorry..

We'll help you get through this.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
That is terrible!

I think contacting the company is the next course of action. Who knows what goes on with that food.

I am sorry!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you both for your input. EDIT: and you too Ali. I will have to do more digging around contact the company themselves and have them explain why it is there for me. If it is in fact possibly harmful and they have known I am not sure how I am going to take that. I will not mention the brand of food till I have found out what I need to as I would hate to think I am bad mouthing a company simply through a misunderstanding or a wrongly placed sticker. I can not believe that they could be allowed to sell it if they know it is harmful. This is tripping me out pretty bad right now

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Just a personal opinion: If the if the P65 sticker is there and you post a picture of it, that isn't bad mouthing. It is stating a fact.
You could also scribble out brand names...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They put that warning on everything it feels like.

The list is ever changing, so if they were using an ingredient and then the list got updated, they'd need to add a warning.

Some of the things that have to be labeled are weird, or certain things get exempt. Like coffee should technically be on the list, because at high temperatures it creates a chemical that could cause cancer, even though studies show that coffee reduces cancer. But it was considered exempt from the labeling.

Point being, most of the time it's pretty alarmist and other times they exempt items that should have the warning based on their own criteria.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Point being, most of the time it's pretty alarmist and other times they exempt items that should have the warning based on their own criteria.
I'll second that.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Just a personal opinion: If the if the P65 sticker is there and you post a picture of it, that isn't bad mouthing. It is stating a fact.
EDIT: I'd be tripping out too..
:sadhug2:
Exactly. Just letting people know that this brand has made such a change. It may go unnoticed by other people who buy it also.