• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Oz snapped his nail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Oz snapped his nail! *Update Post #14*

Oz crash landed and snapped off a piece of his nail. It's still attached but just barely, and it's bleeding. We're using cayenne and flour to stop the bleeding. What should we do about the piece of nail?

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I think I would cut it if you have help & the right tool. It might tear, causing more damage if you leave it. :hug8:

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I was afraid that would be the case. The thing is, our dad would be the best one to do that and he won't be home for 6 hours. We can't even contact him at the moment. Right now we're just keeping him under constant supervision and giving him head scratches and his favorite foods to distract him. He's not picking it at, but he's not putting weight on it.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
keep and eye on him for sure..if the bleeding stopped, then not to worry too much...but you must make sure that your dad uses the right tool to stop the bleeding and that you have the cayenne pepper etc on hand just in case....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How high up did it break? Can you take a picture for us? Oz may decide to take it off the rest of the way which in most cases would be fine. I would continue to watch for bleeding. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please relax everything will be OK.

The main focus is to first stop the bleeding and look the situation over. Many times a toe nail can be cut off without problems. If it starts to bleed before your dad gets home pack the cayenne on and keep constant pressure on spot where it is bleeding. The cayenne will clot the blood and stop the bleeding like a plug. Constant pressure will make sure that happens.

You are doing a great job with emergency first aid!

Please keep us posted!

A picture would help.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Picture of the nail would be great...and you don't need to put flour with the cayenne pepper...the cayenne pepper by itself will clot the nail but you need to put a LOT on and put some pressure on the nail area for a minute or two to help the cayenne mix with the blood and form a "bandage" for a better explanation...IF the piece is just handing by the "skin"...you can take cuticle scissors, pour alcohol over them and with him wrapped in a towel for comfort, hold his foot and snip the hanging nail off at the part that is attached to the main nail......then apply more cayenne...OR you can take nail clippers and do the same...I know you said your father would be the best to do it BUT this info is encase it gets worse for him.....You are correct in keeping him quiet and not letting him (climbing/walking) moving around...with a toe nail hanging this could catch and rip it worse than it is now....Cayenne will also keep infection from getting into it also....:hug8:Keep us posted...and you are doing good!

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
We used flour to initially stop the bleeding because it was the closest thing on hand. It took me a couple minutes to find the cayenne. (Even though we have two bottles of it. >.<) He's doing fine right now. He keeps wanting to climb around and explore and be his usual Oz self, so we're doing our best to keep him preoccupied with little shredder toys. He didn't pick at the cayenne pepper, so it's formed a nice protective layer over it.

It looks like a little over half the nail is broken off, but he has very long claws. I'll try to get a closer look without bothering him too much, and when our mom gets home (which should be in less than an hour) I'll towel him so Kiersten can she exactly how much is broken off and if it can be cut.

As for a pic, my camera isn't uploading correctly, but I'll try to get a pic with the ipad.

Thanks so much for the help everyone! Kiersten says thanks as well (she's currently on Oz watch)!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Owie, owie owe!! I would towel him and get a pair of really, really sharp scissor or clippers and take it off as fast and as clean as possible. One clip or snip. I don't think the vet could do it any better as long as what you use is as sharp as it comes. Poor baby.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I agree with Ginger...that needs to come off and you can do it with scissors or clippers and THEN pack it with cayenne again...it should be fine afterwards...and don't panic if it starts to bleed again when you snip off that piece...the cayenne will stop the bleeding....Thank you so much for the pictures! You did a good job!
:hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I agree it needs to be snipped. Please sterilize the instrument you use to remove the debris.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you for the clear pics! I agree, a quick clean snip . :hug8:

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
We toweled Oz and removed the broken part of the nail with sterilized birdie nail scissors. Cayenne sloiwed the bleeding, but did not stop it. It kept bleeding so we took him to the Emergency Vet. The bleeding had pretty much completely stopped by that time, but they put some Quick Stop on. It's completely stopped and Oz is doing okay. (He's calm, but he's not in shock calm).

Unfortunately, the newarest place that does fluid therapy is an hour away. But we don't think he lost enough blood (the intial flow stopped pretty much right away, but it kept trickling) to be too concerned. For now Kiersten has him under constant watch and we're making sure he drinks.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Everybody should have a tube of Super Clot in their first aid kit. It doesn't sting like Quick Stop and works instantly. It is also easy to handle and your able to target the bleeding exactly.

Here's the link...

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

Ginger

Attachments

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
When you have toe nail injuries, and using cayenne pepper (corn starch/flour) you have to PACK it into the toe nail and hold(apply pressure) on the end for a good minute or two...if the totally nail is taken off at the end of the toe, applying pressure to the toe will also help stop the blood flow (cayenne there also)...and YES it can take a few minutes for it to quit...Thank you for the up date! Glad he is doing better!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.