• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Owning ravens?

Myncss

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm wondering how I would go about owning a raven or crow? I've been owning parrots and birds for about 8 years now and I've always had the idea in the back of my head. I was out fishing yesterday and found a raven nest, I was very careful to not disturb them. They were fledglings and were massive! I knew I couldn't take one now I was not prepared at all. I'm thinking about going back next year earlier in the season to maybe get a chick? Anyone have any experience with corvids? I don't know where to start getting information from.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm thinking about going back next year earlier in the season to maybe get a chick?
Please don´t ever take chicks (of any bird) from the wild.

As for owning corvids, I believe there are some restrictions in certain parts of the world so you have to look into local laws.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is illegal in the United State to posses a Raven/Crow. You cannot even pick up a raven feather from the ground without risking legal ramifications.

"In the US, all migratory birds are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Although crows don't always migrate (only the ones who live in the coldest places do), every type of crow you might find is listed on the Department of the Interior's Federal Register of Migratory Birds. So this means that it is indeed illegal to take/possess, export/import, transport, sell/purchase, or trade any crow or any part of a crow (including its feathers) or their eggs or nests, without a permit. It's also usually illegal to hunt, kill, capture, or take them without a permit."

I, personally , am completely taken by Ravens/Crows and am a great fan of both. The best thing you can do is feed them in your backyard. They like humans once they get over their fear of them and become very faithful to you. They are terrible, terrible pets.

If you want to learn all about both from the worldwide expert on them find a copy of Bernd Heinrich's book "Mind of the Raven". I have read it three times now and learn more each time.

I have fed Ravens and Crows for many years - some have become good (but very demanding friends).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One thing I really like and agree with Bernd Heinrich about is that he believes that humans should be allowed to own Ravens/Crows. He gives his reasons in the book, but basically for the conservation of the species. He has stated many times that Ravens/Crows are very nearly as intelligent as parrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only ones you can legally have in the US are species that are not native to America. So like African Pied Crows and White Necked Ravens you can have in many states.

They really need outdoor aviaries in which to fly, and they do need a lot of stimulation! I've heard you need an outdoor pen about 20 x 10 x 10, and an indoor one 8 x 8 x 8. Parrots do okay with less space because they can climb with their hookbill. Corvids don't have that luxury!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Plus corvids have pretty complex diets, don’t take a chick from the wild it’s incredibly cruel and highly illegal in the US if caught which would be highly likely

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Taking a wild chick from the wild would be an awful thing to do. I agree they’re awesome birds, but what’s wild should be allowed to stay wild.

I knew someone who had a pied crow in their home in a make shift aviary. No outdoor aviary. The bird was always pacing the cage, similar to a tiger in a too small enclosure. Crows are one of those species that require so much more space than we initially expect and if their home isn’t set up correctly, their mental health pays the price.