• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Owning Caiques?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m glad you are reconsidering! My caique is an incredible amount of work. He is very loud, very demanding and in the past was prone to bloody periods of rage (my blood). I love him but he is a real challenge to keep as a pet. If I were you, I’d look to rehome a bird, either from a rescue or from someone looking for a new home for their bird. I two conure that were rehomed (gcc and nanday) and they are amazing pets. They came from bad homes but are very sweet and loving to me. I’m so happy I have them.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
My fiancé is fascinated by caiques and keeps saying we should foster one (there actually aren't any currently at our rescue to foster) but I just look at him and roll my eyes. A goffin and a caique.... yeah, that's exactly what I need. :rolleyes: But they are cuties. :)
I love goffins! But I would ask him to please consider the health problems a new world parrot can have when housed with a dusty Australian species.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 8 caiques living with me at present. They are split into three or four gangs, depending on which way the wind blows

Each gang would cheerfully bathe in the blood of the others

Your Goffin could be at high risk

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I have 8 caiques living with me at present. They are split into three or four gangs, depending on which way the wind blows

Each gang would cheerfully bathe in the blood of the others

Your Goffin could be at high risk
Yes, good point. I am looking after my sisters Alexandrine for 4 days and I have to take into account that my two will give him a hiding if they were allowed near him. Funny little birds but fierce and determined.