• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Owl Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Anyone keep them? I sure think they are cute, and wonder if Kismet would like to have one as a friend?{hears voice in head..NO MORE BIRDS:p}

I saw this guy a few weeks ago at the show and can't stop thinking about them.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
they are cute no more birds for me but thanks for sharing

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
agree with you - very pretty - such striking markings

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He sure is a cutie. :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well a funny thing happened today. I got to thinking about some nice gentlemen I met when I purchased a playstand. They had given me their card. I know they know lots of people, so I called and asked if he knew anyone that breeds owls. He gave me a number of a guy from out of town. So I call the guy and asked him if he ever comes to the show. He says he always does, and I said that's odd, because I never see owls. Except the one I saw and had taken a picture of at the last show. He said, he was at the last show and had one, in a white cage with some 'Goulds. So that is him...small world. He told me it would be a month before he had more, that he gets them out of Canada. He said he would bring some to the next show in January, so I will call him when it is closer to the date. I asked, they go quick don't they? He said yes, the show before last he brought 50 and they were all gone by 1:00.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
50!!

Wow they are movers!

How much are they? Do you remember?

I do love Finches/Canaries and I think the Owls are beautiful. Look at that face!!!

If I had a BIG BIG house (and only work part time) I would have a finch room for sure.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I don't know the price from the show,I never did inquire about him. The average seems to be about $80.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I knew they were pricey...ouchy!

I love owls in general so these guys have always caught my eye.

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
I inherited a male owl finch from a client. The owner was convinced she a had a pair of them in her mixed finch aviary. I observed the behaviors of both owlies and noticed both of them would sing. And one was beating the crap out of the other. I informed her of the situation and she gave me the male that was at the receiving end of the beatings. I actually witnessed the more robust male grab the smaller one by its beak and shake it savagely like a rag doll! He is now a companion for my white backed mousebird and spice finch. All three are rescues and share the same cage as buddies. Owl finches can cost anywhere from $50-$75.00 each. they don't breed as readily as some other species of Australian finches

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
That is why they may cost more, they don't produce as willingly.

Thanks for the insight, they sure are cute. And I am glad you have a place for the buddies to hang out.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just as an FYI. You if you are thinking about getting an owl finch, any finch to be exact, they do best and live longest in pairs of their own species.

Good luck.

I have always wanted to get back into finches. Long time ago, I wanted a HUGE list of finches, owls on that list :D

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
owl finch, any finch to be exact, they do best and live longest in pairs of their own species.

Good to know. I know a family that has a finch/canary pair that looooooove each other. I was amazed when I first saw them. I've never had a finch but love their noises. And I have a lone canary. I was kind of thinking of getting a finch to see if my canary would like a friend, since he hates me. Maybe not....:(

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
Just don't acquire cut throat finches for a mixed finch aviary. They are an aggressive species and will kill other species of finches they are housed with. They are best kept with their own kind.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are pretty. I had never seen one.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It depends on who's article you read.:rolleyes: Most say that the owl is aggressive with conspecifics{It's own kind} and does best in mixed aviaries. Some say male on male will fight, brutally. One article said both..they did fine in mixed aviary and don't get one lone owl or it will be lonely...sooo...!?!
I think they will do fine together. I am not interested in breeding either one, so having a buddy for Kismet might be nice.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Owl finches are peaceful finches. As peaceful as a finch gets(well not so like much like the society finch ofcourse).

Zebra finches are known to be VERY aggressive. And they are. Males will brutally attack eachother. Actually most male birds will over a mate/nest/territory, etc. The owl finch is much like the zebra finch in personality.

Honestly I think I think if you get an owl finch, it needs another finch mate. And since you house your canary in a good size cage, why not house your canary with two owl finches? Or why not get another canary? Or even a couple very docile finches, like society finches, or spice finches (any mannikin finch is pretty docile).

I know my two male canaries got along GREAT.. until one started to sing, the singer owuld chase the other male around, until he was done singing. And then the other one would start up and chase the none singing one around. And then they would try to mate.. the weirdos. But they got along GREAT with my finches(society and zebra, at the time).

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Love the markings on that little guy.

Finches fascinate me :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Owl finches are peaceful finches. As peaceful as a finch gets(well not so like much like the society finch ofcourse).

Zebra finches are known to be VERY aggressive. And they are. Males will brutally attack eachother. Actually most male birds will over a mate/nest/territory, etc. The owl finch is much like the zebra finch in personality.
You are contradicting yourself, just like the articles!:huh::lol: What if I get a female owl?

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This thread is interesting, I don't know much about them but love to watch and listen to them when I have seen them at shows.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I used to keep a community of "peaceful finches". The larger the flight/cage the better I found. I had Owl finches, Gouldians finches, Strawberry finches (one of the cutest songs you will hear from a finch btw), Cordon Bleus, Star finches, Societies, Fire finches, and a few other types that escape my memory at the moment. If you construct a huge flight for them with a glass front it is almost like looking into an aquarium, only your subjects are birds. Very relaxing and interesting to watch. Someday I may get back into finches. Prices have gone up though on many finches. Owls used to cost me $40 each.

You have to make sure you research what finches get along with each other and which do not. I did not keep Zebras and Cut throats or etc. as they could be quite territorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.