• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overweight Training Treats?

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
So I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I figured I would start here. So I’m getting a double yellow headed Amazon tomorrow that is obese and has not been well “kept up”. He steps up onto a stick but that’s about it. I would love to do some training enrichment since he’s apparently extremely destructive from the boredom of being in his cage all the time. Anyone have any suggestions? Probably no treats would be the best but I don’t know any of his other motivators since he’s new.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
For over-weight animals, you can still use high value food rewards. You just need to count them as part of their daily intake when calculating how much to feed at meal time or through out the day. You can even turn their "meal time" into an opportunity for exercise or training by offering their meals in forage toys or as a reward for simple training exercises.

Smaller rewards can also work amazingly well. So if you are using millet, feed a single "bobble" instead of the entire spray. Or if you are offering almonds, use almond slivers, instead of whole nuts.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some feed human rice cakes. Of course leave off the almond butter and the fruit butters.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
For over-weight animals, you can still use high value food rewards. You just need to count them as part of their daily intake when calculating how much to feed at meal time or through out the day. You can even turn their "meal time" into an opportunity for exercise or training by offering their meals in forage toys or as a reward for simple training exercises.

Smaller rewards can also work amazingly well. So if you are using millet, feed a single "bobble" instead of the entire spray. Or if you are offering almonds, use almond slivers, instead of whole nuts.
This is so helpful, thank you! When I get home from work tonight, I’m gonna try to dig out all the toys and such that I have for larger birds. I was thinking about almonds because I know he loves them but it was suggested not to use nuts until his weight is under control. This sounds like an awesome compromise!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some Zons actually get into shape quite nicely if the weight was put on due to forced inactivity. So if he actually does like to move his booty, let him! Of course I’ve probably jinxed you now and he’ll be a blob zon that you have to coax to move....but that’s where those high value yummy treats come in!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some feed human rice cakes. Of course leave off the almond butter and the fruit butters.
If you do this, make sure that the rice cakes don't contain salt

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Some Zons actually get into shape quite nicely if the weight was put on due to forced inactivity. So if he actually does like to move his booty, let him! Of course I’ve probably jinxed you now and he’ll be a blob zon that you have to coax to move....but that’s where those high value yummy treats come in!
He let him out and he wanted to come to the floor when he started getting comfortable but the guy yelled at him to come back up (which he begrudgingly did). They don’t like him on the floor because he gets into think (shocking, I know). I want to see if I can get him moving and maybe even following me around the house.

If you do this, make sure that the rice cakes don't contain salt
thank you! This is actually a good idea. I think they sell plain ones.