• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overweight birdie?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
My Indian ring neck parrot is 127g, apparently the average IRN weight is 110-120g.
My birdie only converted to Harrison’s pellets a few weeks ago, before she used to eat only seeds...
Is my parrot an unhealthy weight and how can I make her lose weight if she is?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello :)

The first thing I would do is start a weight journal. Pick a consistent weigh in day, also the same time of day, and mark it down. I usually weigh in the morning when they first wake up. Taking weights overtime will help you understand if your bird is gaining or losing. Very helpful if a bird is ill, you can weigh them daily. You can also take this journal with you to the vet and it helps immensely to understand what is going on. Birds will have fluctuations during molts.

It is possible your IRN is just a little bigger so don't panic yet. Start regular weigh-ins and see if your bird is gaining too much and that could be a concern. For weight loss, more chances to fly will help more than food restriction, assuming you are on a healthy diet.

If you are in doubt about her health don't hesitate to bring her into a vet.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Hello :)

The first thing I would do is start a weight journal. Pick a consistent weigh in day, also the same time of day, and mark it down. I usually weigh in the morning when they first wake up. Taking weights overtime will help you understand if your bird is gaining or losing. Very helpful if a bird is ill, you can weigh them daily. You can also take this journal with you to the vet and it helps immensely to understand what is going on. Birds will have fluctuations during molts.

It is possible your IRN is just a little bigger so don't panic yet. Start regular weigh-ins and see if your bird is gaining too much and that could be a concern. For weight loss, more chances to fly will help more than food restriction, assuming you are on a healthy diet.

If you are in doubt about her health don't hesitate to bring her into a vet.
Hi! Thank you, keeping a weight journal is a great idea! :shy:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
7 grams over an "average" weight is pretty close to perfect IMO. Average weights are just that. An average weight.

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
hi! I have a ringneck, and she weighed around 130grams I think. when I asked my vet about it, she told me like John said, its more of an average weight, and that she was not 'fat' as she could still prominently feel the keel, which is how she tells if a bird is overweight or not! you could always ask your vets opinion