• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overpreening?

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
Im convinced my African Grey is over preening. His feather condition is definitely worse than when I got him two months ago. He absolutely hates anything to do with bathing. He freaks out in the shower, he freaks when he gets misted with anything, he occasionally tries to bathe in his water bowl but it’s way to small for him to fit in. I tried giving him a bigger bowl to splash around in and he was terrified of it. I put him in the shower with me but any time even so much as a drop of water touches him he freaks out. I’ve tried adjusting him to the spray bottle but he still hates it. He hasn’t bathed in so long his feathers are turning white with dust. I’m so frustrated and worried to death. I don’t know what to do. It’s cold where I live right now so I can’t take him outside for sunlight. He also doesn’t play with many of his toys and he does not, under any circumstances, forage for anything. Not even his favorite treat, which is pine nuts. I know that he is smart, so he could do it he just seems to be really lazy. It seems like nothing I try for him is working and i just really don’t know what to do. I think his over preening comes from boredom and irritated skin from not bathing. If anyone has any advice that would be really helpful.

I am going to try to take some pictures of his feathers to post.

And please no negative or harsh comments. Constructive criticism only.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He hasn’t bathed in so long his feathers are turning white with dust.
What you don't understand is that the dustier your bird is the healthier he is. Their skin is supposed to be dry. It is not "necessary" to bathe for any dusty bird. It is an "option".

I think his over preening comes from boredom and irritated skin from not bathing.

Boredom would definitely be a root cause. His skin is not irritated from not bathing. He's over preening as a coping mechanism. It's a behaviour.

The best thing you can do for your bird is make him fly. Lots of interaction and space to explore. Toys are just stuff. Inanimate objects that become boring very quickly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How much out of the cage time does he get? Have you tried maybe doing target training with him?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Put out treats around the room where he can see them but has to make some effort to get to. This is great exercise and will keep him busy so he doesn't get bored!

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
Okay so not bathing isn’t that big of a deal? His cage door is open all the time so he is allowed to do whatever he wants and spends a majority of the time on top of it or on a Java wood stand that has lots of branches for him to explore. We do target training exercises and I am trying to get him to use his wings more. The only issue is that his wings are clipped so he’s not very confident. The clipping wasn’t really my choice. Since they are clipped is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait until they molt and he grows new ones? We’re also working on harness training so I will be able to take him outside safely. I also noticed that the humidity is a little low in the house which I have read that can cause issues too?

Put out treats around the room where he can see them but has to make some effort to get to. This is great exercise and will keep him busy so he doesn't get bored!
Do you mean put treats on the floor for him to walk around and find? He’s pretty uncomfortable on the floor which I assumed is normal for most parrots. Is there anyway to help him feel more at ease? He’s pretty timid and I don’t want to force him to do anything.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Humidity is definitely important for feathers and respiratory health. Do you know what the humidity level in your house is? You could get a very inexpensive hygrometer to test it. If you have low humidity, getting a humidifier would be a good idea, as would taking him in the bathroom when you shower.

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
The humidity is below 40% in the house. He did shower with me last night and already he hasn’t been preening near as much today. I’ve also been reading about red palm oil being good for birds. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff and if so what kind and where did you get it?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Okay so not bathing isn’t that big of a deal? His cage door is open all the time so he is allowed to do whatever he wants and spends a majority of the time on top of it or on a Java wood stand that has lots of branches for him to explore. We do target training exercises and I am trying to get him to use his wings more. The only issue is that his wings are clipped so he’s not very confident. The clipping wasn’t really my choice. Since they are clipped is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait until they molt and he grows new ones? We’re also working on harness training so I will be able to take him outside safely. I also noticed that the humidity is a little low in the house which I have read that can cause issues too?

Do you mean put treats on the floor for him to walk around and find? He’s pretty uncomfortable on the floor which I assumed is normal for most parrots. Is there anyway to help him feel more at ease? He’s pretty timid and I don’t want to force him to do anything.

I put nutri berries places where they have to climb to get them. Another AA member suggested this to get my babies to roam around and get more exercise. And it works! They watch me while I walk around setting the treats on the top of their play station, in the willow tree, on the shelves of a rack where I keep birdie stuff, in the foraging toy boxes, etc. I don't know your set up, but they catch on pretty fast to this game!

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
That’s a pretty good idea. I guess my other issue is that he doesn’t really like a majority of the foods I offer him which includes nutri berries. It’s been a real struggle to get him to eat healthy. The only treats I’ve found that he likes are pine nuts which aren’t that healthy. He does eat pellets. I give him Oven Fresh Bites. But other than that he really only eats vegetables if they’re on a skewer right next to his favorite perch in his cage. He will pick up pieces of vegetables and chew on it for a little then spit it out. And that’s only if I offer it to him by hand. Do I just need to be more patient and he will eventually eat it or am I doing something wrong?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo tends to overpreen his tail. He's fine other than that so I haven't worried about it too much. As for baths, my 'too probably went about 6 months without a bath. I don't think he had a bath at his former foster home and it was 2 months before he would let me give him one. So, although bathing is good, it's not like it's horrible if they don't except their feathers don't look as nice. Maybe try different times of day. For instance, my cockatiel refused to bathe before noon. LOL. But after that he was fine. You can also try different noises. Like running the vacuum, or my 'too bathes when he hears the vent over the stove (weird), or even try when it's actually raining out.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei was on an all pellet diet for 20 years! However, his feathers were all gray except for his head which was green. He didn't look like an ekki at all. It took a long time to get him to eat fruits and veggies finally refusing pellets at all. And his feathers are coming in green again!
I would sit with him and hand feed him different fruit. At first he would bite a piece and throw it down immediately like it was a game. But I kept at it until he realized apples and strawberries are pretty good! Every new good item was introduced by hand first, but after a while he figured out to at least try eating whatever I put in his dish. I have post it notes to keep track of what each baby won't eat at all (Brussels sprouts, coconut, raw pumpkin is Sergei's list).

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He never preened nor bathed before adopting me. I'm a firm believer in organic food for all babies. Sergei still has quite a way to go, but we have plenty of time for that, God willing!
20180702_191758.jpg 20180727_180737.jpg These are Sergei's Before and After fruits and veggies pics. However long it takes to help them enjoy good healthy meals is well worth it, I promise!

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
That is almost exactly what my Grey does! He takes a bite then tries it away. I guess I just need to keep at it then. Your baby is beautiful! Thank you for sharing! I appreciate all the advice everyone has offered. I have some ideas on how to help my little guy now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope some of the suggestions are things that will make all the difference for you with your bird :)