• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Overnight stress plucking

Feathergirl626

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone.

Sprout (my 1 year cinnamon green-cheek conure) was fine last night but when I got him this morning, I found this.
Sprout plucking.jpg Sprout plucking 1.jpg
We've had a mouse issue lately (working on it), and we've been finding droppings in Sprout's food. We've tried moving his food bowl to different areas in his cage but the darn thing always finds it.
We're assuming he's stressed with this thing in his cage but we don't know how to make it stop. He seems hungry and we're guessing he's scared to go to his food bowl. He was chowing down on banana, pellets and nuts a few minutes ago with us.
Not sure if this is associated, but he was extremely quiet and gentle last night. We thought he was just really tired, but now we're not so sure.
We're gonna keep him in his kitchen cage (aka his carry/camping cage) where the mouse hasn't gone. Any other ideas? I have a lot of old socks, so should I make him a shirt (hopefully that makes sense)? Could he also be stressed about not eating?
This morning he groomed/plucked three feathers in rapid succession while we were cuddling him.
I'm so scared.
Thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Very serious problem which needs to be rectified now for all your family’s health.
You really should weigh your bird and continue to do so while this problem exists to ensure he’s not actually starving, you also need to ensure his food isn’t getting contaminated with mouse poop and urine- they drip urine everywhere they go to leave a scent trail for themselves and other mice- they spread horrid diseases.

How are you attempting to keep mice away? Snap traps?

Watching my cocky react to a mouse in the aviary next to him confirms my belief the mice are dangerous in more ways than most assume- our birds are instinctively stressed around them and with good reason to be so.

They’ll contaminate everything because they’ll get into everything! You are best to put an end to the mouse issue asap!
It won’t matter where you move your bird in the house… the mouse will find him and his food! Just because you haven’t seen them in the kitchen doesn’t mean they’re not there- as a matter of fact, the kitchen is likely their second favourite place after your bird cage. They look for food and safe nesting places and materials and kitchens house all them things.

If your cage has legs then put a large home made funnel shape on each of them to stop the mice climbing them- your cage can’t be against a wall or close to curtains etc because mice climb really really well (can even climb textured paint surfaces) and can also jump.

The plucking could very well be from stress and fear or it could be from something else entirely, you’ll need to decide if eliminating the mice from your home first and then reassessment of the plucking situation is best or if you race off to the vets for many tests to eliminate other reasons first then still have to remove the mouse problem is the best way to go.
I’d personally get the mice gone then reassess as no matter what way you go the mice need to go.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Mice. Ugh. We haven't had a mouse in probably 10 years and now have them. Or did. I think I just got rid of them. But yes, the mice could definitely be stressing your bird out and you need to find a safe place for your bird until they are gone. I will post the traps I bought. (I got them on Amazon.) They work amazingly well. They're humane traps. I can't kill the little buggers. But I seriously caught a mouse within 30 minutes of putting the trap out. Seeds and peanut butter were the lures.

Humane Mouse Traps, 12 inches Enlarged No Kill Mice Trap, Reusable Catch and Release Mouse Traps, Pet and Children Friendly Mouse Trap That Work (2 Pack)

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly think this sweater is not your answer- you need to know why he is plucking and actually attempt to resolve the issue- could be the mice or could be another reason...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is very cute.