• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overgrown lower beak

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
We've noticed that our 10 year old green-cheek conure's lower beak is a little overgrown so that she can't close her beak all the way, and her upper beak has two little spikes growing down on each side. She doesn't really play with chew toys or anything. She just like bells and other noisemakers.

Should we be concerned that it is a medical issue?

Right now she has mostly dragonwood and apple wood perches in her cage. Do we need to replace those with coarser perches (sand / pumice)? Any suggestions for brands to use or avoid?

Thanks for any help!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMO you need to see avian vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Show us a picture.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My GCC has the same thing. His beak was damaged by our Eclectus, and it ended up growing back into a scissor beak. Now I have to bring him into the avian vet monthly for a corrective beak trim.
If you don't have it corrected, it will probably cause him to have difficulties eating.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Would the beaks meet without a problem if the overgrown areas were clipped off with either a nail clipper or whatever? If so, no problem. I have the same problem with Bocca, only with his bottom beak. He had a fight with an Amazon several years ago and has no point (or stylus) on his upper beak. His lower beak overgrows so the middle of his beaks cannot meet. I just use a nail clipper and nip each side back and he is fine for another month.

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Yes, I think it's just a little overgrown, and the beaks would close together properly if it was trimmed down. Baby is not as tame as Daisy however, so I have no idea how we'd ever clip or file it down.

We're going to make an appointment for a checkup with the vet for next week.