• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overgrown beak

bitsy

Moving in
During the past few months Frankie's beak has grown to a point where it is too long. I took him to the vet 6 weeks ago and she shortened it but she didn't shorten it enough because it's again grown too long. I've had him for 7 years and never have had this problem. He has another vet appointment but has anyone else had this problem?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ask the vet to test and find out if he has liver problem. An overgrown beak can be a symptom of liver disease.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There’s potentially a few issues that could be going on. Did he get lab work done at his last visit? Does he ever chew/shred toys? How is his eating, and what diet is he on?

bitsy

Moving in
He had full check up with labs and everything was fine. He never chews or shreds anything. He eats just fine. He has seed, fresh brocalli, carrots and apples and the food is changed out twice a day. He's a happy little guy but I don't know what's going on. I'll ask the vet again when he goes next week.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
If at the age of 7 this is a new issue I would look at liver issues. Perhaps resign yourself to the fact that you may have to have his beak trimmed regularly. Is he acting well in spite of this?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does he have a Cuttlefish bone or similar?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I agree with checking for liver problems- that's what tipped me off to my budgie's liver problems.

bitsy

Moving in
He's acting just fine. He chatters and talks to the bird in his mirror all day long. He does have a cuttlefish bone in his cage and it's being used. He's a very happy guy always chirping away at something but I'll have the vet give him another once over. His last blood work didn't show anything off. That must be difficult getting blood from one of these tiny guys.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That must be difficult getting blood from one of these tiny guys.
I think if I ever witness them having to draw blood from one of mine, I might faint dead away!
I realize it's a necessity, but ohhhhh.... I can't think of it!
I hope Frankie will do well and that his beak doesn't cause too many problems in the future!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet takes blood as slick on a budgie as on a macaw. Of course, he has over 25 years experience.