• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Over preening?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi all,
I've noticed Spearmint is preening his feathers a lot. He's not pulling them out, but he'll spend ages preening them, and I mean ages, maybe 10 minute sessions each, but he does it so often, even when nothing is out of place. After he moults a feather he was sit there holding it with his hand and preen it for 45 minutes or longer. I've noticed some bronzing on some feathers too, especially his primary wing feathers.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of mine preen themselves constantly and when out preen each other so much there is no destructive behaviour they are just sorting themselves out, KiKi will often preen a feather thats been removed for a age she loves to do the same with crinkle paper as well just running it through her beak.

The bronzing wont be caused by preening it will be your bird snuggling against you or rubbing against the cage.

If you are worried that Spearmint is over preening try and put some crinkle paper his cage so he has other preening options.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Both of mine preen themselves constantly and when out preen each other so much there is no destructive behaviour they are just sorting themselves out, KiKi will often preen a feather thats been removed for a age she loves to do the same with crinkle paper as well just running it through her beak.

The bronzing wont be caused by preening it will be your bird snuggling against you or rubbing against the cage.

If you are worried that Spearmint is over preening try and put some crinkle paper his cage so he has other preening options.
Thank you!
I was just concerned as he's my first birdie and wasn't sure if it was normal :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
mine spend lots of time preening, and do play with fallen feathers.

On bronzing...nope I never see in mine and I've got hands on cuddling hours daily. Now old feathers before they molt can look worn out or frayed or have a little color change. I personally don't see that very often in mine...maybe on tail feathers edges..except in my old gal rescue how took 2 years to molt and doesn't molt regularly like the rest of mine.

Csn you share a picture of bronzing?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
mine spend lots of time preening, and do play with fallen feathers.

On bronzing...nope I never see in mine and I've got hands on cuddling hours daily. Now old feathers before they molt can look worn out or frayed or have a little color change. I personally don't see that very often in mine...maybe on tail feathers edges..except in my old gal rescue how took 2 years to molt and doesn't molt regularly like the rest of mine.

Csn you share a picture of bronzing?
Will do when i get home :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek used to get bronzing from a Happy Hut and from a toy she rubbed herself on.

As for preening, during molts especially they spend a lot of time preening. Even though they may look all good on the outside, they have literally thousands of feathers on their body, many hidden on a normal day, to diligently attend to. Preening is a huge part of their day :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
My green cheek used to get bronzing from a Happy Hut and from a toy she rubbed herself on.

As for preening, during molts especially they spend a lot of time preening. Even though they may look all good on the outside, they have literally thousands of feathers on their body, many hidden on a normal day, to diligently attend to. Preening is a huge part of their day :)
That does make sense, thanks!