• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Over Preening Parrotlet

sageparrot

Moving in
Real Name
Elyse
My 9 month old parrotlet has begun to over preen and slightly pluck her feathers around her neck. I had to travel to NJ from Maine during the holidays and brought her with. I let her out of her cage for about 4-6 hours each day and provide foraging enrichment daily. I am thinking that the change in environment caused the self destructive behavior, and it got much worse one day after my dad watched her while I was visiting other family. I am traveling back to Maine in a few days and have a vet appointment booked. This is not the first time she has traveled with me though and has always been good about traveling. I have begun to offer showers more often (daily), started her on a molting and conditioning supplement, just ordered a larger cage for her (18.5 wide x 32 long x 36 tall), and I have been feeding more veggies and fruits. She is also getting a UVB light soon. I have been giving her a lot of attention and will try my best to distract her when I catch her preening her neck/chest. Other than that, she is her perky, mischievous self! Please let me know of how else I can support her and try to get her to stop causing herself harm. It is breaking my heart to see her like this.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hopefully, other members can give you more input but, Sudden plucking could be because she's sick or the sudden change like you said. You've already done a great job by scheduling a vet visit and providing daily enrichment.