• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Over preening help

Blueeyes14

Checking out the neighborhood
These photos are only a couple of months apart, showing before and after the arrival of our baby. I’ve tried taking them out more, giving more and new toys, and spending more time with them but the feather loss seems to be getting worse despite everything I try. Does anyone have ideas? They’re young birds, 3 and 4 years of age. I imagine they’re over preening one another because they are missing feathers on both their heads as well. I’d like them to have a better diet, even if that is unrelated. They’re currently on a full formula pellet food and get fresh fruit or vegetables once or twice a week. Thanks in advance for any advice!
image.jpg FE821A95-230E-42EE-87D9-EBE33B88B82F.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry :(

Have you tried splitting the pair into two cages? Place them side by side so they can still interact. You can allow shared out of cage time when you are supervising.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hi beautiful babies. That can be a breeding thing. I have a female that plucks herself and her mate. Sometimes that's one of the not so great perks of mates.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would recommend transitioning your birds' diet over to a primarily foraging "diet" - that is, very little or limited "free-feeding" and the majority of the food they eat they must forage for. You can make and buy foraging activities for them.

Amp up their training. Target train, fly to you on command, fly to cage on command, turn around, shake, 'big eagle', etc. Get their minds stimulated mentally so they're "tired".