• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor Parakeet Aviary

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I could read about and look at pictures of your aviary all day:bliss:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sebastian is my favourite of the new editions. He has an honest look. :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Beautiful! And you have a gift for name giving! Each new addition has a perfectly matched name.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
I love your aviary! It is amazing! My dream is to have a budgie aviary one day like yours. Have you won the feathered estates yet?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I love your aviary! It is amazing! My dream is to have a budgie aviary one day like yours. Have you won the feathered estates yet?
I have, yes, last year. :)

This aviary was my dream for many years, until I finally decided it was time to build it. I had zebra finches when I was a child, but none of the cages they sell in pet stores are big enough. We had the largest flight cage I could find, yet it was still too confined. They were just hopping between perches. I wanted them to have room to really fly. I wanted an aviary. :D

An aviary or bird room is a great way to give your bird the most freedom you can. If you are thinking about building an aviary, I highly recommend it. There is nothing more beautiful than a bird in flight.

20210321_145218.jpg

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I went out to check on my aviary today and I found this stuck under the closed door:

Resized_20210604_153410.jpeg

A dead bull snake! :eek:

It must have tried to slip inside behind me when I left after feeding the birds this morning. I didn't even see it at the time.

I don't know if this was his first time trying to go in or if this was just the first (and final) time he got caught in the act. Both button quails are safe and I did a head count to confirm that nobody is missing, thank god.

I knew snakes might be an issue when I built the aviary, but I never expected one to be so bold!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow! That's scary. I love snakes so my initial reaction was "awww" but you absolutely don't want another one of those around your birds!!!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, I like snakes too. I feel bad that I killed him, even by accident. :(

If I had known he was there, I would have got him away from the birds, but I would not have tried to harm him. I worry about my birds getting caught in the inner aviary door, but I never would have expected a snake to get caught trying to enter through the outer door! It freaks me out that I didn't even see it happen. He must have been right under my feet!

Fortunately, none of our native snakes are venomous and most of them just want to be left alone. They are not aggressive unless cornered or threatened. I don't mind having snakes around, so long as they steer clear of my little birds. Although they would likely be safer somewhere else, because my dogs, chickens, and peacocks will hunt them down without a second thought.

It is possible he was simply trying to get away from me and not trying to gain access to the aviary at all. Wrong place, wrong time. Bad luck for a long snake. I hope he didn't suffer.

Last edited:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
As extra safety you could try attaching a stainless steel mess to the outsides frame of the door, which you could step over but would act as an extra barrier of defense against guys like this

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
As extra safety you could try attaching a stainless steel mess to the outsides frame of the door, which you could step over but would act as an extra barrier of defense against guys like this
I would think they'd go straight over it, snakes are pretty good climbers.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
After going through the first door, he would have been inside my safety porch, with a second door between him and the birds, so at least there is that.

I will be doing some additional snake-proofing this weekend to make sure there are no other weak spots and hopefully reduce the chances of this happening again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow!
You saved all your little birds without even meaning to! Poor snake, I feel sorry for it but I honestly am glad it didn’t get anywhere near your birds.
It’s good the snakes in your area are non venomous but unfortunately for the birds they’re a problem with or without venom.
When it’s summer here we tend to try to make a tonne of noise stomping our feet or hitting the ground with the back of a shovel when we need to use part of the yard- snakes tend to flee if there’s noise near by or they can feel ground vibrate with footsteps, all snakes pretty much just want to be left alone with a good supply of food and somewhere to hide- our neighbours kill them on purpose which I don’t like if it’s not necessary even though our snakes are venomous.
I’m not a fan of the snake traps/nets that are used but that’s mostly because the snakes rarely are let go or even found in time to relocate them but with yours being non venomous and you using the aviary daily maybe they’d be perfect for you?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Destiny have you introduced ur new finches to ur aviary yet?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I have and they are settling in nicely. :)

Sorry about not updating sooner. Life has gotten busy lately. I'll try to post a few pictures this weekend.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
how are all of the birds doing, especially the new finches?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Destiny how is everyone in ur aviary doing, have the new finches settled in?