• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor Parakeet Aviary

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sorry about the slow update. I've been dealing with some work-life drama recently and haven't been able to focus as much on the aviary as I would like.

The new finches are doing great. Unfortunately, I don't have enough good pictures of the new guys - they are fast and camera-shy. Most of my pictures are from a distance or way too blurry. I keep trying and they keep evading me!

20210806_184852.jpg

20210806_184707.jpg

Of the new finches, Uso has integrated the most. He hangs out with Crimson and Jasper, like they have always been together.

20210607_113004.jpg

20210612_091905.jpg

Sebastian and Nutmeg are inseparable. They follow each other around the aviary and I rarely see them far apart.

20210613_173250.jpg

20210613_141254.jpg

I decided to rename the little guy. I called him Pip by accident (instead of Zip) once and the name stuck. I don't know why, but it just felt right.

Pip is the hardest to photograph. So tiny and so fast. He tends to follow around with Sebastian and Nutmeg, but will also zip around after the other finches or even hang out with the parakeets. He never stays still for long.

His flight patterns are interesting. When I first introduced him to the aviary, he would do these weird little "jumps" in mid air ... flying forward, then hovering in place, then flying forward again. I had never seen anything like it. It looked so strange. I think this was a side effect of never being allowed to fly freely in an open space. Pip had trained himself to fly in short bursts so he didn't hit the cage walls. It took him a week or two to work out how to really fly without hesitation. Now he is swooping from one end of the aviary to the other side in a single motion. It is a beautiful sight.

20210613_173256.jpg

20210613_173209.jpg

20210613_173256.jpg

20210613_173440.jpg

The parakeets are happy and don't seem bothered or even interested in the additional finches. I was worried that they might be aggressive or territorial, but the introduction was pretty much a non-event.

20210601_121502.jpg

20210613_141320.jpg

20210613_141333.jpg

20210612_091829.jpg

Last edited:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I love your aviary SO much! I'm watching this thread from now on so I don't miss out on any of your gorgeous aviary/birdie pics. :heart:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww it sounds like everyone in ur aviary is nicely adjusted and enjoying their lives, I always love to see them all! :swoon:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have a Spice Finch!!!! :dreamyeyes:I'm so envious!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I've been putting off making this post because I have some sad news to report. One of my parakeets passed away last month.

I was doing my normal morning aviary check and noticed that Lemondrop wasn't in any of her usual spots. I did a quick search and found her sitting in a corner on the floor by herself. Even though Lemondrop can't fly, she hates being on the floor and always climbs up to a perch as quick as she can, so I knew right away that something was wrong. And she let me transfer her to a hospital cage without trying to bite my hand off. She hates to be grabbed and doesn't tolerate any direct handling normally. I got her to a vet as soon as possible and was given an antibiotic to treat a suspected respiratory infection. Unfortunately, Lemondrop took a turn for the worse and passed the next day.

20200716_184329.jpg

Lemondrop was a spunky little lady with a big personality. She will be missed.

20210404_145156.jpg

I worry that my decision to move Lemondrop back out into the aviary contributed to her early death, but she really did seem much happier and more active in the aviary. She was a special needs bird and unable to fly, so I knew she probably wouldn't live a full lifespan, but I didn't expect to lose her so soon.

20210418_142252.jpg

I wish I could say that was the ONLY bad news, but I also have a missing finch. My Lady Gouldian finch, Crimson, went missing last week.

20200722_180523.jpg

I searched everywhere but I haven't found any sign of him. I don't know if he escaped or if a snake or other predator got inside or if he died somehow and I simply haven't found the body yet. It is deeply concerning. I don't know what happened to him, so I don't know if the other birds are safe.

20201104_102458.jpg

Sorry for all the bad news. I'd much rather talk about the good stuff, but things don't always work out as planned.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm sorry about Lemondrop & Crimson. Hopefully you will find his body soon. Though it may be more risky having them in an aviary, I truly believe it's more just to the birds than keeping them in cages, no matter how much 'out' time they get.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I am so sorry for your losses :sorrow:
You really do amazing things for your birds, but sometimes things don’t go the way we plan :sadhug:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thank you, guys. I know you understand what it means to lose a bird. They find a way into your heart.

I have been spending more time out in the aviary lately. I want to appreciate my parakeets and finches as much as I can. You never know how long you will have with these precious little souls.

Here are some recent pictures of the birds:

20210905_182725.jpg
Big Bertha, Misty, and Skye chilling on the feeder together.

20210905_170357.jpg
Snowball, June, and Opal, all in a row.

20210806_184852.jpg
Uso and Jasper, best friend finches.

20210813_180620.jpg
Pip, Jasper, Sebastián, Nutmeg and Uso, five finch friends.

20210905_170421.jpg
A cute little white fluffball.

20210806_184707.jpg
Look at all those birds! It is hard to get everybody in a picture together, but I think I almost managed.

20210905_170556.jpg

20210818_102857.jpg
Lots o budgies.

20210905_170619.jpg
Skye wondering what I am doing with my phone.

20210905_182745.jpg
June isn't sure, but she doesn't trust it.

20210905_182732.jpg
Dot is just confused. Humans are weird.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry for your losses.

Your birds are beautiful and look very happy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m sorry to hear of your losses Destiny :crycry:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Oscarbird

I'm so sorry for the losses of your birds. :sadhug:
I've been keeping up with your aviary updates and you do an amazing job making sure that your birds have the best life possible. I hope you find Crimson soon, and may be Lemondrop rest in peace.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am sorry you lost Lemondrop and Crimson. I hope you find Crimson. Knowing what happened to then is a comfort, especially if the others could be in danger. They live such a beautiful life with you.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear about Lemondrop and Crimson :( I know how much that hurts!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear about Lemondrop and Crimson. I hope it brings you some comfort that they led happy lives surrounded by their flock and enjoying being birds. Lemondrop in particular looks happy and content in every photo you posted; she crammed a lot of joy into a relatively short life.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Sorry about Lemondrop and Crimson. But you gave them the best life possible! That aviary is the lap of luxury for your birds and no one could’ve done it better!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I'm sorry you've had to go through this. For whatever my opinion is worth, I think quality of life is more important than just counting months or years. It sounds like you gave her the life that made her happiest, and she died knowing you were trying to help her. I think that matters.

And poor Crimson. The not knowing makes it so hard. You've done so much to give them an amazing environment, but sometimes things just happen and some of those times we never even know why.

I'd raise a spray of millet with their companions and a glass of your choice with you in their memory.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your losses.