• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor Parakeet Aviary

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Oh, they are just adorable!

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I will share more pictures when release day finally comes!
[/QUOTE]
Your aviary is AMAZING! Does your flock live in the aviary full-time?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Your aviary is AMAZING! Does your flock live in the aviary full-time?
Yes, I have it setup so my birds can live in the aviary all year round. I visit them each day to feed, clean, and spend time enjoying the natural music, but the aviary is their home. I think of it as a "dedicated bird space" designed for the comfort and safety of birds.

20210905_182716.jpg

Due to the design/layout of my house and the presence of other pets, it wasn't practical to make a bird room or allow free-flying in the house. I don't like cages and want my birds to have as much flying time as possible, so I had put off owning birds for many years. This was the best solution I could think of for my situation and it has worked out quite well.

20211014_125245.jpg

Hanging out in my aviary and interacting with the happy budgies is a special joy.

KeetQueen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah Stark
**Aviary Update**

I have some happy news to share. I will soon be adding three new budgies to the flock. They are currently in quarantine and have settled in nicely. Healthy, happy, and chatty. I can't wait to inroduce them to the rest of the birds when they are ready.

Please meet Oliver:
View attachment 404814

Cloudy:
View attachment 404815

And Frost:
View attachment 404816

Oliver is a little older and definitely male. Frost and Cloudy are both younger and a bit harder to sex. I think Frost is probably male and Cloudy is probably female. I was hoping for all guys to help even out the gender distribution in my flock, but two out of three isn't so bad. It still doubles my male budgie numbers.

I am currently debating how long I should wait before introducing them. I got the new budgies in mid February, so it has been long enough from a quarantine standpoint, but I think I might wait until the weather warms up a little more. I don't want them to get stressed out by cold night-time temperatures. Also, Oliver is a skilled flyer, but both of the younger budgies came to me heavily clipped. I am hoping to give them a little extra time to grow out their wings, so they will have better mobility in the aviary. But that could easily take several months and I don't think I actually want to wait that long.

I will share more pictures when release day finally comes!
Congratulations! They are such beautiful budgies :) I'm sure they will have so much fun in the aviary

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're gorgeous! I personally think they're all male. Like the names too.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats3: very excited for update about the new boys!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Your birds and aviary are amazing!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It was fun catching up on your lovely aviary and fun flock of cuties! Delighted to spy the Owl finch … sure don’t see them too often!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In summer, I open up the aviary and setup fans to promote airflow. I have a thermostat so the fans will automatically turn on or shut off depending on how hot it is. When the heat gets especially bad, I will use a mister to spray water and help cool the birds. The aviary is located in a semi-shaded location, so it only gets hit with full sun for part of the day. I also open up a smaller section on the back of the aviary in summer that is fully shaded and more open. It tends to stay several degrees cooler than the main aviary.

In winter, I cover the open mesh with storm sheeting and close off the shaded area to reduce drafts. I also swap out the fans for a greenhouse heater, controlled by a thermostat. When it gets cold enough, the heater turns on. I also built an insulated box with perches and a heating pad. It is too big to encourage nesting behavior, but small enough to stay warmer and more sheltered from drafts. Some of the budgies choose to sleep there every night.

I have three temperature sensors in the aviary, one on each end and a third one in the center, as well as an outside temperature sensor. They report to a weather station in my house so I can check on the aviary remotely. This lets me know if the heating/cooling system is functioning adequately. I have backup fans and another heating option, if needed.

This setup works fine, but it is pretty energy-hungry, because the aviary is largely uninsulated. If I was making another aviary, I think I would build a finished interior space that could be fully insulated and heated or air-conditioned as needed, attached to a larger outdoor space for exercise and enrichment during fair weather. But I am happy with what I've made and it does the job adequately.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
In summer, I open up the aviary and setup fans to promote airflow. I have a thermostat so the fans will automatically turn on or shut off depending on how hot it is. When the heat gets especially bad, I will use a mister to spray water and help cool the birds. The aviary is located in a semi-shaded location, so it only gets hit with full sun for part of the day. I also open up a smaller section on the back of the aviary in summer that is fully shaded and more open. It tends to stay several degrees cooler than the main aviary.

In winter, I cover the open mesh with storm sheeting and close off the shaded area to reduce drafts. I also swap out the fans for a greenhouse heater, controlled by a thermostat. When it gets cold enough, the heater turns on. I also built an insulated box with perches and a heating pad. It is too big to encourage nesting behavior, but small enough to stay warmer and more sheltered from drafts. Some of the budgies choose to sleep there every night.

I have three temperature sensors in the aviary, one on each end and a third one in the center, as well as an outside temperature sensor. They report to a weather station in my house so I can check on the aviary remotely. This lets me know if the heating/cooling system is functioning adequately. I have backup fans and another heating option, if needed.

This setup works fine, but it is pretty energy-hungry, because the aviary is largely uninsulated. If I was making another aviary, I think I would build a finished interior space that could be fully insulated and heated or air-conditioned as needed, attached to a larger outdoor space for exercise and enrichment during fair weather. But I am happy with what I've made and it does the job adequately.
Okay thanks… My aunt is planning to make an aviary, in Pakistan, where it gets hot. I was wondering how to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I live in a temperate climate, near the coast, so we don't get extremely hot summers or bitterly cold winters. If you live in a more extreme climate, you may need to make additional accomodations or bring the birds inside during bad weather or certain seasons. You should also consider the needs of the bird species and the individual birds' health - some parrots have different requirements and may not be able to handle the same living conditions.

For example, budgies are native to the Australian Outback and they are adaptable to a range of environments from desert to open plains to subtropic forests. However, many parrots are native to tropical rainforests and may not tolerate dry or cold conditions.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Wow :wow: just wow what an amazing space you have created I’ve just read through all your post sorry about the loss of your birds I was really hoping you got your three girls back can’t wait to read how the new boys do very lucky birds:budgie::budgie7::budgie:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW ..what a lovely place for your birds :D

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Hi @Destiny how's the aviary going and all the birdies, i bet spring fever is in full swing!
It is indeed. Everyone is singing their hearts out non-stop.

20220426_125500.jpg

It's actually the perfect time for an aviary update, because I moved the new parakeets out last week and I have lot of pictures to share.

But first ... check out these cute finches bathing in the bird bath together. They are adorable.

20220309_142242.jpg
20220309_142254.jpg
20220309_142301.jpg

And not to be out-done, here are the button quail dust-bathing as a group.

20220426_140338.jpg

Never enough quail in one dust bath.

NEVER ENOUGH!

20220322_134832.jpg

Now on to the new arrivals ...

My trio of new parakeets passed through quarentine with flying colors, so I moved their cage into the aviary and gave everyone an opportunity to introduce themselves for the first day.

20220323_124920.jpg

Then I opened up the cage and waited to see who was going to make the first move.

And the winner is ... Foggy!

20220323_133120.jpg

Followed by Frost and Oliver a short time later.

20220323_133048.jpg

20220323_133158.jpg

Frost and Foggy are still unable to fly, due to being clipped before I got them, but they explored around the bottom of the aviary and encountered the button quail. I forgot to take pictures, but just imagine a very upset button quail trying to look big and scary by holding its wings out, then running away, while the new parakeets just look really confused.

20220323_133326.jpg

Meanwhile, Oliver was up top, calling to Frost and Foggy, trying to get them to join him.

20220323_133759.jpg

Frost couldn't figure it out. But Foggy was a bird on a mission. He was not going to let clipped wings hold him back.

20220323_133401.jpg
20220323_133518.jpg

20220323_133522.jpg

So he started climbing.

20220323_133818.jpg
20220323_133807.jpg
20220323_134157.jpg

And climbing ...

20220323_134201.jpg 20220323_134203.jpg

And climbing some more ...

20220323_134223.jpg
20220323_134229.jpg

Until he finally reached his friend Oliver!

20220323_134235.jpg
20220323_134408.jpg
20220323_134506.jpg

I was so proud of them both. :)

Foggy tried so hard and finally made it! Oliver was so excited. He was head bobbing like crazy. It was very touching.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww so very cute!!! I’m so glad to hear everything is great with the birdies! :loveshower:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It's been a little over a week now and the new birds are settling in nicely.

Oliver and Foggy still hang out together sometimes.

20220323_160852.jpg
20220323_175140.jpg
20220323_175236.jpg

But Oliver is also busy making new friends with the other budgies.

20220405_130314.jpg

I got these pictures of Oliver and Kiwi singing loudly together. Such a majestic sight.

20220426_125438.jpg 20220426_125443.jpg

And here's Oliver saying hello to one of the girls

20220323_142512.jpg

She seems into him. I can't blame her. He is quite charming.

20220323_142525.jpg

Oliver is fitting in with everyone quite nicely. Just one of the gang.

20220324_150034.jpg

20220426_132346.jpg

Meanwhile, Foggy and Frost are making the best of being flightless. They mostly hang out with each other.

20220405_130331.jpg
20220426_141655.jpg
20220426_140440.jpg

But they have also been meeting new budgies and exploring the aviary in their own way.

Here's Foggy chilling with Big Bertha.

20220405_140316.jpg

And Frost preening with Kiwi.

20220426_132403.jpg

And both of them showing off for Dip.

20220426_125507.jpg

Such pretty birds.

20220323_175159.jpg
20220426_132353.jpg

BudgieLove

Meeting neighbors
What a gorgeous space! Despite the exciting transformation, I want to confess that my first thoughts were, "I love those dogs!" :lol:
Wow!! This is amazing totally jealous!!! I so want an outdoor avairy but my husband not keen need to work in him!! Well done just amazing!!