• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

outdoor environmental hazards

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
once I bring my cockatiel home in a few months, I am planning on taking her outside frequently (for walks/hikes, to a neighbor's house, etc). what are the main outdoor environmental hazards I would have to watch out for? I am mainly worried about car exhaust/outdoor burning types of things but advice on anything related to outdoor safety would be greatly appreciated :) (note, she is harness trained)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would worry most about other people. People walking dogs, cats that roam the street and people who are too curious and don’t respect her privacy. Not sure about the car fumes, do you live a high traffic city/part of town?

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
I would worry most about other people. People walking dogs, cats that roam the street and people who are too curious and don’t respect her privacy. Not sure about the car fumes, do you live a high traffic city/part of town?
no I don't, I live in a rural suburban city with nothing much typically going on. most people mind their own business, and keep animals apart from eachother.

Winn

Jogging around the block
In addition to the advice above, I would avoid letting her forage on the ground. She could pick up intestinal parasites or an illness from a wild bird that had visited the area.

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
thank you guys so much! i’ve done lots of research, but i have never found any definitive answers to the safety questions. i will definitely take your advice!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about traffic fumes if you aren’t in an area of high traffic. I would also start watching what birds of prey live in your area, as said above I would always they can be a danger. When you know what type of predators live around you, you can learn a little more about how they hunt. I have a kestrel and buzzard that live around my town, plus buzzards moving through and some other birds of prey.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dont do it! Also read our safety forum. There is much you can learn.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Be aware that bird flu has spread everywhere and might be carried by wild birds. So keep away from anything wild birds may have been on or around

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Here in the UK domesticated birds are banned from going outside due to the extremely high cases of avian flu.
When I took my macaw to the vet, he asked if he was an inside or outside bird. They won't treat a bird who lives outside.
Before you venture out, please check the government guidelines for your area, if there are some.