• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor cages?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
hi folks! Do any of you have outdoor recreation cages in areas with access to predators? How do you do it?

I would like to eventually offer my singular lovebird a larger outdoor cage to fly around in and sunbathe but my dad feeds two stray cats who “perform our pest control.” I have seen them hunt and/or kill birds and have found feathers and carcasses on multiple occasions.

Because of this, im not sure this cage dream can ever be realized. The cats having the ability to get her cage makes me very nervous. Even if I supervise the cage whenever I put her out there, there’s always the possibility she could get loose when Im bringing her back into the house and a hidden cat could nab her.

realistically, I don’t think I can do this, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has conquered similar issues.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We roll both of our conures cages indoor cages outside during the summer they both enjoy getting out someone is always with them when they are outdoors.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I roll two of my birds outside in a cage and there's next to zero risk of them escaping the cage during that process, but they don't get left unattended.

One of mine also accompanies me outside on a harness, and no neighbourhood cats pay him attention when he's with me (dogs are more curious than the cats).

Speaking of cats, is there a rescue group in your area who could trap your strays and get them into a shelter?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I roll two of my birds outside in a cage and there's next to zero risk of them escaping the cage during that process, but they don't get left unattended.

One of mine also accompanies me outside on a harness, and no neighbourhood cats pay him attention when he's with me (dogs are more curious than the cats).

Speaking of cats, is there a rescue group in your area who could trap your strays and get them into a shelter?
Unfortunately the cats are part of the neuter catch and release program so those cats typically don’t get accepted as the goal is to keep the local population count down by deterring new unneutered/unspayed cats from moving in. Plus there’s a few different families feeding the pair that would probably be sad to see them go.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
We roll both of our conures cages indoor cages outside during the summer they both enjoy getting out someone is always with them when they are outdoors.
I guess this isn’t so bad! Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are many places here that certain predators are a problem, it can usually be combatted by simply making any wire areas strong enough to keep the known predators out and also using double wire- so, the ordinary wire your bird can land on and then some distance out from that you put a second layer/wall of wire.
Makes the aviary build nearly double the cost but ensures birds kept outside are not able to be grabbed through the wire. Obviously, other measures need to be made for flooring, concrete is best to stop predators digging under the wire.

I am not sure what predators you have - here (Vic, Aus) we have mice, rats, cats, foxes, possums and snakes which are the main concern and problem makers in most areas for those of us with outdoor birds, but, some areas also have quolls which are apparently better at getting into things than cats and possums I am told.

I am unsure how one would keep huge bears, opossums or racoons out (if you are in the US), but, regardless of where you are or what creatures might be a problem- knowing exactly what you are wanting to protect against and keep out of the aviary is quite important and makes knowing what to do to for safety much easier.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am unsure how one would keep huge bears, opossums or racoons out (if you are in the US), but, regardless of where you are or what creatures might be a problem- knowing exactly what you are wanting to protect against and keep out of the aviary is quite important and makes knowing what to do to for safety much easier.
Opossums and racoons are usually kept out of walk-in aviaries by using a solid bottom half with a wire bottom where the gaps are small enough to prevent animals from burrowing in. As for the above ground wired portions, there are typically two layers of wire with a space between them that is large enough to keep the animal from reaching its arm through the inner layer's gaps. Bears are very difficult, however I have heard that some people use electric fences.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
There are many places here that certain predators are a problem, it can usually be combatted by simply making any wire areas strong enough to keep the known predators out and also using double wire- so, the ordinary wire your bird can land on and then some distance out from that you put a second layer/wall of wire.
Makes the aviary build nearly double the cost but ensures birds kept outside are not able to be grabbed through the wire. Obviously, other measures need to be made for flooring, concrete is best to stop predators digging under the wire.

I am not sure what predators you have - here (Vic, Aus) we have mice, rats, cats, foxes, possums and snakes which are the main concern and problem makers in most areas for those of us with outdoor birds, but, some areas also have quolls which are apparently better at getting into things than cats and possums I am told.

Wow excellent considerations! I wasn’t thinking an aviary so much as just a much larger outdoor cage than her smaller indoor cage, but you’re 100%, if she lands on the bars, something can get her feet. Some kind of wire at a distance surrounding the cage would protect her feet. Thank you for sharing your post.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Opossums and racoons are usually kept out of walk-in aviaries by using a solid bottom half with a wire bottom where the gaps are small enough to prevent animals from burrowing in. As for the above ground wired portions, there are typically two layers of wire with a space between them that is large enough to keep the animal from reaching its arm through the inner layer's gaps. Bears are very difficult, however I have heard that some people use electric fences.
Luckily no bears here!! Just cats, other birds, and HUGE lizards!! We do have mice, rats, and oppoposums but they only come out during the dark when she’s be put away. I’ve personally never even seen one in 25 years. Thanks for these tips!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow excellent considerations! I wasn’t thinking an aviary so much as just a much larger outdoor cage than her smaller indoor cage, but you’re 100%, if she lands on the bars, something can get her feet. Some kind of wire at a distance surrounding the cage would protect her feet. Thank you for sharing your post.
They wont just grab or harm her feet, they will literally pull her through the bars- horrible sight and I dare say a very horrible death.

I can't have my little guy outside in his cage unless I am with him or I put his cage inside the spare aviary- he has a goshawk keeping an eye on him who has hit the window more than a few times trying to get him. I have seen cages the same as his smashed in with the force of birds of prey grabbing smaller birds.
The people who owned the house before us put in aviaries for their birds as every time they stepped outside another of their birds had been pulled through the cage bars by darn roaming cats :(