• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor cages

RitaPetita

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Chapple
With the bird flu hitting North America again, is anyone keeping their birds indoors this year? I'm in eastern Canada and worried to put mine out as I know birds land on the cage when we're inside and small birds can get through the bars.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
We've had a couple of cases in our raptor population locally. I won't leave mine out unsupervised right now. We have a lot of song birds and I would hate for my birbs and any of these beauties to "share" any potentially communicable diseases.
I have pushed their cages onto our back porch for a little dappled sunlight while I am doing some work nearby and I've had them out in the driveway when the weather is pleasant. Again, my spouse and/or I are nearby.
I confess, I am not sure how much good my hovering does, if the virus is airborne. I should probably do some more research and rethink this....:chin::cantsee:

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
I confess, I am not sure how much good my hovering does, if the virus is airborne. I should probably do some more research
It's mostly transmitted via contact. Like at bird feeders, contact with droppings, water sources contaminated with fecal matter, touching ill or deceased birds.

That's not to say it isn't airborne, because it has been detected in air, it just isn't main type of transmission.