• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor aviary

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
Hey! My sister got me this aviary for my birthday and I was looking for some advice. I will probably keep it on my screened in porch under the roof so it won't be in direct sunlight and get too hot. The birds will continue to live inside and this will be used for enrichment. I'm lost as to how to set it up lol. I know I need perches and food/water but don't really know what kind or how to install them. It doesn't have a bottom and I was wondering what others have done for flooring? Any advice or tips? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello, that is gorgeous!! Wish I had room for something like that!
Idk....how About some of the outdoor green carpet that looks like grass for a floor? When dirty, roll up, take outside and hose down or can be done in place as well if the water has somewhere to drain out?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would love to have one of them out in my yard. My sister has one and it didnt get hot. Lots of natural perches and if you are keeping it in your porch you can use a vinyl floor remnants or even plastic table clothes on the floor. If it is out of the elements then just decorate like you would their cage

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Oo that’s an awesome aviary! For the bottom you could use butchers paper or fake grass like Birdie Mama said.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is an amazing gift!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice aviary. Your birds will benefit from natural sunlight. Since it has a roof they can climb up out of the sun to cool off. I'd look for "quick lock" twist off water dishes that you can screw in place. It makes it easy to remove them for washing, as the base remains in place & the bowl twists off. We use those in our aviary, placed near a perch for easy reach. You can hang a swing, boing, orb, etc., from the ceiling via an eyebolt & quick-link. Perches can be of various sizes & shapes & be screwed in place to the sides. I'd use acrylic or metal toys for outside. For the floor a tarp, fake grass, etc., can be used. I never feed my birds when they are in the aviary, as it tends to draw in bees & wasps. A bee sting can be fatal to a bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You probably want to look into long rope and wooden perches (natural, of course!) that can fit in a "corner", maybe a boing or some kind of hanging perch from the roof... and perhaps some shorter perches that just attach on one side.

I would recommend either Smart Crocks or the SS Cups.

Lots of different options for the bottom! :)

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
These are all great suggestions, thank you everyone! I am super lucky....she's an amazing sister, very generous and the original bird nerd in the family so she gets it! You guys are great! I wouldn't have thought of most of those ideas for the floor! I also really like the idea of the food cups with stationary bases and the orb/boing hanging from the ceiling. It will probably take me a little time but I'll definitely post some pics when I get it all settled.