• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor Aviary - its time

Mo2vation

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Hey AA's

Been lurking for a long time... a few posts, lots of reading.

We are experienced larger (Macaws, Amazons) bird owners. Wife is an Avian vet. We've relocated to Gainesville, FL. Have a ranch here, couldn't love it more.

We've been keeping the guys (2 Macaws, a large Amazon, Senegal, 4 quakers) in their cages on the screen porch. We let them free-roam during the day. We put them away and cover at night (one of the Macaw's comes inside each night)... When it gets cold here (low 40s... maybe 10 days a year) we bring everyone inside.

We're about to pour a 10 x 16 pad, and build a proper aviary for these guys. SO many questions. Lots of the screen house guys here have experience in aviaries, as its Florida and lots and lots of people here have birds. Is there an outdoor aviary sub-forum here, or is there another group I can look to? Some of the things I'm digging in on now are heating (for those colder nights / days.... we had 6 days here across Christmas where is didn't get above 35...now back into the 70s, of course) and some design ideas for the flooring / foundation.

As always - this group is amazing, and I'd appreciate any tips for this ambitious project.

Thanks!

- Ken

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Make sure the pad has a drain in it. There is an outdoor aviary group on FB that has some excellent ideas.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Destiny has an outdoor aviary

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any build advice to share, but I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project!