• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Out of cage interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I read all these threads on here where people have different species interacting and seeming to have a nice relationship going that it makes me wonder if I should attempt that with some of my birds. Of course, my budgies are all great together and my cockatiels are all great together. I do allow Argyle my Linnie and Willow my Bourke out on the same play area but they pretty much stay away from each other. They will sometimes get a little close but they don't play or anything.

Well, the other day I realized that I had Autumns cage open and she climbed clear up to the top of the boing where Argyle was and they seemed to be arguing. She is bigger than him and I freaked and got her off of there. One time I allowed her on Merlins stand and she ran over and got all close and pushed him off the stand:( I feel like she wants to be close to the other birds but seems to have unpolished social skills (at least that is what we would say if she were a dog:) I don't believe in letting animals work it out if either one of them is uncomfortable so I'm not sure I could ever really allow it, but I am just wondering how you all start introducing your birds and allowing socializing and interactions.

I think this should make for an interesting discussion:)

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
It just depends on the bird. If they don't like each other, that most likely won't change. If they seem to be defensive with one another, keep them seperated cause it usually doesn't end well

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I take all my cues from the birds themselves. If they are ok with each other they will remain calm and almost ignore each other as if to say "your there, so what". If they intensely focus on each other that to me shows they do not trust the other and are on guard even if they don't make a move towards the other.

I have found that having them out together but a distance from each other over time gives them a chance to see that the other is not a threat and eventually they may even trust each other. If they hate each other and it's obvious, that's the end being out together.

I've been letting the budgies fly into the TOOs aviary for a few months now. The budgies hang out by the window while Tika and Amanda go about their business. If the little ones happen to buzz past T or A they only slightly raise a crest now and just kind of duck!!

Scooter has been watching Amanda forage in the hay and sticks and has started to inch his way over to the spot to participate. He's very quick and an excellent flier and can easily get away/out maneuver Amanda so he is quite bold. The TOOs don't go out of their way to get them but if they get too close they chase them away with a "threat". Amanda's body language is the "your there so what" so Scooter approaches her more boldy. Tika's body language is "intensely focused" on them when they get close so Scooter does not readily approach him. Whitey just hangs out by the window and lets Scooter create all the ruckus!! :)

Of course all this activity is watched like a hawk by me from very close by.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Fiona HATES both of the other birds and actively goes after them - she is ooober territorial about food, cage or anything so I don't even go there with her. When Ray had his old cage there were commonly 2 or 3 jailbreaks a week and he would proceed to let Kota out of his cage as well - the two of them would raid the treat cabinet together and chew up all the stored toys, etc. BUT the minute they saw they had me in the room, it would be competition for mom's attention. So yes and no for allowing them to play together. They do and they don't.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
As you've seen E and Mo get along fine. Wally on the other hand doesn't really get a long with anyone. For the first couple of months when Wally came home Mo had to play bully. He was constantly trying to grab Wally's tail or step on it just to make him mad. He has gotten to where now he just follows him around. The last few weeks though they have been able to co-exist on the orbit without Wally starting to scream. I think Mo is tired of the bully game and actually would like to get along, but Wally is just not ready, I'm not sure Wally will ever be ready, but at least they give him space.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It all comes down to them in the end. Some of them will be fine with another species, but forcing them to be with another species is only going to make things worse, and I've seen this happen - not saying it's what you'll do but in some cases, the birds have ended up hating each others guts when they *possibly* could've been friends and been out together if having not been forced to be out with another bird which pretty much destroyed the possibility because it wasn't done right.

For instance, I have my Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure out and my Indian Ringneck Keiba out together during the day, pretty much every day - they get along like a house on fire. At first, there was a few squabbles, but now they're more like "okay, let's be friends!" and have been ever since. They play together, eat together, follow each other and etc.

One of my Budgies Reiko, will climb into my Cockatiels cage and hang out with them, they have never touched him or tried to attack him, they will ignore him or if he goes and sits close to them, they won't move away or anything. The good thing is at least they're not seeing him as a threat, and that he's not there to hassle them (not that he has intentions to - just wants to make friends) they really couldn't care if he's in the cage or not. I let him go into their cage whenever he wants while they're out - their cage is open for them to go in and out as the please, so he'll duck in there usually when there's no Cockatiels in there or if there's a few.

Keiba, he can be out with my 7 babies (but same species so it's a bit different) he tries to be a dad/mum to them most of the time. He follows them around like he owns them. I also have had the 7 babies out with my Cockatiels and they've gotten along surprisingly really, really well, but the Cockatiels aren't worried or don't seem worried, they've not attacked any of the babies at any time they have been out with the Cockatiels.. but then again, Cockatiels seem to be really laid back when it comes to other species of birds, they either like them or don't, but I've found my Cockatiels like most of my birds and being out with most of them, just not my Quaker, GCC or Sierra. (other Budgie)

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It just depends on the bird. If they don't like each other, that most likely won't change. If they seem to be defensive with one another, keep them seperated cause it usually doesn't end well

That's not a question at all. I wouldn't allow two birds that actively fought or clearly didn't like each other. I am talking about birds that are showing interest in one another.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I take all my cues from the birds themselves. If they are ok with each other they will remain calm and almost ignore each other as if to say "your there, so what". If they intensely focus on each other that to me shows they do not trust the other and are on guard even if they don't make a move towards the other.
Thanks John. I like this. I do allow them out at the same time but they are on their own playstands or Willow and Argyle are on the same one but all in the same room.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It all comes down to them in the end. Some of them will be fine with another species, but forcing them to be with another species is only going to make things worse, and I've seen this happen - not saying it's what you'll do but in some cases, the birds have ended up hating each others guts when they *possibly* could've been friends and been out together if having not been forced to be out with another bird which pretty much destroyed the possibility because it wasn't done right.

For instance, I have my Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure out and my Indian Ringneck Keiba out together during the day, pretty much every day - they get along like a house on fire. At first, there was a few squabbles, but now they're more like "okay, let's be friends!" and have been ever since. They play together, eat together, follow each other and etc.

No, I don't believe in force at all, it goes against my whole philosophy of training and living with animals, so I wouldn't do that. But, i would like to support it if they seem to want it. I feel that Autumn wants it with someone but not sure anyone wants it with her. I also think Willow would like to hang out with someone but Autumn is too big for her so I'm glad that Willow and Argyle have come to an agreement about being out together. Unfortunately, Argyle doesn't want to get close to her. It seems like they all want Argyle but he would prefer to keep his distance for now:)

I think part of the issue is that I tend to be pretty hypervigilant and I am not sure I could deal with squabbles, as normal as they may be, I am cautious and just move one which may or may not be a good idea.

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
That's not a question at all. I wouldn't allow two birds that actively fought or clearly didn't like each other. I am talking about birds that are showing interest in one another.
Ohhh. I see :p I'm sorry. If they show interest then I would guess that's a good sign. But only the birds themselves really know. Birds can be quite confusing sometimes haha

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Our birds are out of their cage all day when we're at home. Cleo and Atia can be within close proximity without too many issues but Julius hates Atia and will attack given the opportunity.

I have noticed over time the relationships have changed. Atia is a bit more confident that she is indeed a bigger bird and Julius is slowly accepting her presence.

It's a work in progress and we just make sure they are supervised at all times.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Archie and Ella ignore each other unless one gets too close to the other (Archie is still quite smitten with Ella, but I think has learned that his constant attempts to preen her are not well received). They share out of a food bowl together, and Ella will even take the foot toy that Archie is playing with away from him. But before they could get there, I was carefully monitoring them to make sure how the other was reacting.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The best thing you should do, since they are past quaratine time and they have known eachother's presence for some time, is to place their cages near eachother. Not exactly right by eachother but near eachother so they can see eachother.

I would say a safe distance of 3-5ft away, especially if you allow them out at the same time :) And keep it that distance for quite some time, before ever letting them on the same play stand (when in their territory range would be their cages). Let them interact with eachother, like when you take a shower, have them both ontop of the shower curtain or the back of the couch. But never allow them on eachother's play stands or cages at this time.

Once after several months to a couple years if they get along pretty well on the back of the couch or neutral play stand or shower curtain, it may be alright to let them play with eachother on their personal play stands or cages.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have noticed over time the relationships have changed. Atia is a bit more confident that she is indeed a bigger bird and Julius is slowly accepting her presence.

It's a work in progress and we just make sure they are supervised at all times.
Yes, I think whatever happens the relationship will develop and change in it's own way.

Archie and Ella ignore each other unless one gets too close to the other (Archie is still quite smitten with Ella, but I think has learned that his constant attempts to preen her are not well received). They share out of a food bowl together, and Ella will even take the foot toy that Archie is playing with away from him. But before they could get there, I was carefully monitoring them to make sure how the other was reacting.
I would love for them to be able to just on the same play area.

The best thing you should do, since they are past quaratine time and they have known eachother's presence for some time, is to place their cages near eachother. Not exactly right by eachother but near eachother so they can see eachother.

I would say a safe distance of 3-5ft away, especially if you allow them out at the same time :) And keep it that distance for quite some time, before ever letting them on the same play stand (when in their territory range would be their cages). Let them interact with eachother, like when you take a shower, have them both ontop of the shower curtain or the back of the couch. But never allow them on eachother's play stands or cages at this time.

Once after several months to a couple years if they get along pretty well on the back of the couch or neutral play stand or shower curtain, it may be alright to let them play with eachother on their personal play stands or cages.
The cages are side by side, close, maybe only 6 inches apart and have been for months. They look at each other and show interest. Their are two play areas, one is on my left, it is a boing coming down, with a boing that goes across to another boing, with a new going across to another boing with another one going across to an atom, with various things up there like a sort of skywalker, jolly ball, etc. There is no access off of this one and it hangs from the ceiling. Generally, this is where Autumn hangs out.

To my right are Autumns cage with is next to Argyle and Willows cages. On top of Autumns cage is a manazanita playstand and a rope perch that have a boing and atom hanging next to them that to all the way up to a larger net that goes across to a fleece covered boing that has a swing attached to the bottom. There is also a Kings acrylic playstand on top of Argyles cage that has can also be played on. Basically, Arygle and Willow (linnie and bourke) share that entire area and just ignore each other for the most part. Autumn is usually on the play area to my left.

The other day Argyle was out and I forgot and left Autumns cage open. She climbed all the way up to the top of the boing where Argyle hangs out and they were "squabbling". It wasn't very scary but she is bigger than Argyle and I didn't want him to be afraid so I took her down.

So, they are close to each other, near each other, in the same room etc, but only Willow and Argyle interact.

Status
Not open for further replies.