• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Summer Chicks

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Now early this summer our goose started laying on duck eggs. We didnt expect anything due to many failed attempts but let her keep a few anyways. She ended up with 28 and wasnt giving them back. I sat with her everyday and kept her company. After three weeks we checked them and some had veins! We took and ate the newer ones and let her keep the rest. After 4 weeks blew by I had given up. I decided to let her keep them anyways until she left them or they began to rot. We made plans that weekend to join our Uncle, Aunt and two cousins on a camping trip. On the day we were to leave I went out and lo and behold a duckling! Also accompanying them was our female duck Zoey who decided to help raise it. We were ecstatic and didnt want to leave. The next day came a text, another duckling! When we came home they were super sweet and loved to cuddle in the nestbox. The oldest one however was handicapped. She couldnt walk correctly and gimped wherever she went. On her 2nd week birthday she was trampled to death by the mother duck. Luckily other baby then dubbed Marina was healthy and happy. She followed the others and was a perfect addition. Three weeks ago I was cleaning the coop and her and the others waddled up, checking to make sure I was doing my job, and I noticed that she was a HE! He had curly tail feathers and a deep quack. We changed Marina to Marcos and now we have to either get rid of him, his father, or our other duck Pablo. Now that he is full grown we know who his parents are. They are Will (a saxony maybe even a mix) and Zoey (a swedish purebred.) They made for a beautiful baby. He looks just like a purebred Saxony. Hopefully we will have some more babies next summer! This was our first successful batch of babies.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congrats on the new addition thanks for sharing