• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Special Need Fids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
There was a thread like this on the other board so I figured it would be good to compile a list of all our special little ones here so everyone knows who has experience and with what type of disability for future reference for those who may take on a special little one. :)

Name: Pi
Specie: Budgie
Disability: Born with one leg
Accommodations: Shelves with foam padding to ease the pressure on his only foot

Name: Twinkie
Disability: A fractured spine caused her to lose the use of her legs. She moves using her beak to pull herself.
Accommodations: Horizontally large cage with foam bottom instead of a grate and plenty of toys at ground level.

Name: Lucky
Specie: Lovebird
Disability: Tumor on pelvic region causing slight difficulty with walking and a splayed leg
Accommodations: None currently, but may change if tumor grows

Name: Max
Disability: Wing injury left wing contorted and he can't fly
Accommodations: Everything in the cage needs to be withing climbing/hopping range since he gets no help from flapping his wings

Name: Emma
Disability: Hypothyroid issue causing extreme obesity and fatty tumors
Accommodations: Low-fat diet and extra exercise with weight monitoring and possibility of starting daily meds to control the thyroid

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Name: Lancelot
Species: Medium Sulfur-Crested (Eleonora) Cockatoo
Disability: Blind in one eye
Accommodations, nothing major, but always talking to her before approaching on her blind side.
J250x242-01552.jpg

Name: Cecil
Species: Lilac-Crowned Amazon
Disability: Loss of motor function from bad fall (and concussion) as a baby.
Accommodations: Large cage but not tall in height. Perches with lots of "grip" so it is not easy for her to slip. Always kept full-flight as well.
Cecil245x400.jpg

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So this is where everyone will come to learn about courage and resiliency. :D :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am weeping for those birdies..weeping because they have such wonderful parronts to care for them bless you alll:hug8: here is our little special needs wonder..Fletcher...born 2000 ancient of days now...disability...he is crippled..he cannot use his left foot at all and cannot perch well....my father in law did not know that you could not put a canary in with a finch so he took his orange canary (now named Charlotte) & put her in with Fletcher..it was a wonderful decision turns out as |Charlotte is his birdie love....they protect each other, they preen each other...Charlotte even lets him eat first...accommodation...my husband noticed when we rescued them (more at another time on that)--that Fletcher could not perch properly & then noticed his foot...we t hink he may have had a stroke..so my hubby fashioned wooden flat platforms for Fletcher..he loves them..and we love him..he is a chubby little character...always the first to check out new foods..after all for years he had only seeds..now they all have toys & veggies and oh millet lol....I just love them all so muchhttp://
http://
]

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Rocky born with a crooked neck sees the world upside down
no special requirements needed
here is a picture

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw, that is amazing to see these special little birdies being cared for and accomidated.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
What a great thread! I will post about our special abled birds when my computer is fixed and I can post pictures!:p

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
It is SO Heart warming to read about Our"Special Abled Fids"and How they have changed Our Lives(for the better:heart:)
I have had a few special abled Fids in the past-Quirky,a splayed Quaker-He was a wonderful guy,and He never let his "disability "slow him down:) Frankie-a Canary that only had one leg,He also did not allow his-differentness to make a difference:( And Lucky-a Parakeet that had flown into a window at the Pet shop where I worked-and had broken his back-They had tossed the poor little guy in the trash to die:mad:I did not care if they fired Me-I clocked out for the day and took him home!With lots of ladders and perch's placed close together,He learned how to Pull himself anywhere in the cage he wanted to go:) He did eventually even gain some use of his legs:DHe was a Happy little guy:hug8:
Now My Life is Graced by the Presence of
Gemini-19 year old Cag with Tortocollis

Her story is a sticky here in this Forum:)
GiggleButt-3 year old Cag also with Tortocollis

I have not had to make any changes in living conditions for either of them:heart:Because They do not know they are Special-and I sure am not going to tell them:hug8:
OH and I think I will add:hehe:
GrizzleBird to this list:DHe suffers from Severe identity crisis:eek:
Because Everybirdy here knows that The Grizz is the number one Macho Fid of the flock:) And here he goes and grows the prettiest Pink feathers you would ever want to see:rofl:
How I have helped Him to deal with this "Crisis" I just assure Him that He is still My Main Guy:heart::rofl:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Funny post Bonnie
:laughin:

Because Everybirdy here knows that The Grizz is the number one Macho Fid of the flock:) And here he goes and grows the prettiest Pink feathers you would ever want to see:rofl:
How I have helped Him to deal with this "Crisis" I just assure Him that He is still My Main Guy:heart::rofl:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Shiro is sort of a special needs birdie.. :heart:

I purchased him not knowing what had happened, his wings were cut and one of his wings were cut ever so badly! (I think they got the bone.) Shiro can no longer fly properly, he can't fly around or to high places, nor can he fly far.. he will fly 3-4 steps, even when he does, it's very lop-sided. :( I have to watch him closely while he's out, otherwise he could very well damage the wing again although it's healed.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
OH and I think I will add:hehe:
:hehe: I just LOVE Grizz!!! :heart:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Tildy is the Scarlet Chested Grass Parakeet that we adopted from the SPCA this week. She is a doll that has had a very bad life so far. She was housed with a lovebird(s) that used her as a punching bag:( She is very thin. She has a bald spot on the back of her head from a healed head injury and a permanent head tilt to the left and a head tic. She has 2 functional toes on her left foot, plus one that has been dislocated and healed at a weird angle. She has 1 functional toe on her right foot, one is missing and her "elbow" has been broken or dislocated and has healed in a flexed and locked position. You think that she would be a miserable untrusting creature, instead when I took her out of the cage to see just how bad it was, she snuggled down in my hand! I wasn't leaving there without her - they would have euthanized her - and they were happy to adopt her to me :). I'm in the process of learning about special needs cage setups - things like wide perches ( that excellent article on arthritic birds has really helped!) The first morning at her new home ( in quarantine in the office) I was on the computer and with my back to her and I heard a quiet, soft but perfectly understanable "Hello" and she was on the bars of her cage looking at me. I am smitten!!! :) tildy 006.jpg

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Name: Tiresias
Species: Budgie
Special Needs: Blind
Accomodations: Needs a cage where she can navigate easily from perch to perch by touch. Has "seeing eye bird" (Ngala) as well.

Name: Ngala
Species: Cockatiel
Special Needs: Improperly healed wing break; slightly crooked beak
Accomodations: Can not fly, doesn't seem to interfere with anything. Needs beak ground to prevent it from overgrowing and deformimg.

Name: Alejandro
Species: Chicken
Special Needs: Chronic sinus inflammation
Accomodations: Needs nose drops and "steaming" sessions to loosen mucous and reduce swelling.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Cinder, 14 years old, had leg amputated at age 9 due to abuse in her past home. The leg had been broken and dislocated and then never healed properly so it stuck way out to the side and was a danger and a discomfort to her. So, we had the vet remove it, and now she is much happier and safer. She has a cage that is not too tall, and soft padded perches to keep her one foot comfortable. Otherwise she acts like a normal tiel and does just fine. :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Here is Miracle who is flying free. She had bad arthritis in her feet and got gout which made it even harder for her to get around. These pics were from shortly before she passed away. Her and Harper were best friends. I also attached a pic of her cage. I miss her. :(

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.