• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Our new puppy - Mouse, the tiny doggo

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Aw! Is it illegal to be that cute?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The final results are in!

This is my little trouble-maker Luna in her most dangerously cute puppy form:

20160713_105335.jpg

Don't be fooled. She ate two cellphones while looking this innocent. It is a trap.

20160717_143533.jpg
20160717_142512.jpg

And this is Luna at four years old:

20201119_095744.jpg

Luna is a bit of a rascal. She likes to grab leashes. Her own or anyone else's. Gracie is waiting for help to arrive. She was not trained for this situation.

20160815_130135.jpg

And she loves to dig. Check out this den. She made it herself. She was quite proud.

20170318_151016.jpg

And if she finds water, she jumps right in. Like a mother hen raising ducklings, Gracie does not understand this strange behavior. Water is for drinking, not for touching.

20161125_140856.jpg
20200518_174039.jpg

Luna is such a silly girl, she can't even turn it off when she sleeps.

20181228_192800.jpg

Luna can't do a bat impression, like Gracie, but she is working on her seal impression. I think it's looking pretty good.

20180514_151747.jpg

It must come naturally for her. She is a water dog.

20160829_094448.jpg
20160829_094500.jpg

According to the breeder, Luna is a labrador retriever. A silver lab or dilute chocolate lab to be precise. She has a pedigree and everything. Although her color does not meet the breed standards, so she probably wouldn't win any awards at a dog show.

Still, she has won my heart. Not only is she a total goofball, but she is very dedicated, people-oriented, and easy to train, despite being pretty stubborn sometimes.

20170501_141352.jpg

But is she really a labrador retiever? Or is she a Weimaraner/pit-bull cross that just happens to love water?

Let's find out ...

Screenshot_20210408-212234_Chrome.jpg

Yes, yes she is! 100% lab, through and through.

Luna and Gracie are both purebred dogs, as promised. Mouse and Bear are both mixed breed, more or less as expected.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with accuracy of the Wisdom panel. Some of the mixed breed results were questionable, but they are not just blindly guessing at breeds. Each dog's results was a decent match with their physical appearance and behaviors. I think the algorithm they use probably needs a little more fine-tuning to avoid picking rare and unlikely breeds. However, I think the bulk of the results are probably legitimate.

Resized_20190627_142704_5901.jpeg

The results of these tests don't really change anything about my dogs, but it is kind of cool to know the breeds that combined to make a dog like Mouse or Bear.

Also the tests confirmed that all four dogs are clear of 29 common genetic diseases, which is great to know. All in all, I am quite happy with the results of this little experiment in genetic mapping. It was quite fun and the results arrived pretty fast. If you have a rescue dog and you are curious enough to spend a hundred buck to get some answers, I'd say go for it. It won't be 100% accurate, but it should at least point you in the general direction of the truth.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
This has been very interesting! Does it happen to tell you what breeds it can pick up? I am honestly curious what it would tell me my dog is since she's a less common breed, but i wouldn't be willing to spend the money :shy:
Luna is sooo cute!!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
According to Wisdom Panel, they have over 300 breeds in their database.

On their breeds page, they list the following breeds:

Affenpinscher
Afghan Hound
Airedale Terrier
Akita
Alaskan Klee Kai
Alaskan Malamute
American Bulldog
American English Coonhound
American Eskimo Dog
American Foxhound
American Hairless Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Water Spaniel
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
Appenzell Cattle Dog
Argentine Dogo
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Kelpie
Australian Koolie
Australian Shepherd
Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog
Australian Terrier
Azawakh
Barbet
Basenji
Basset Fauve de Bretagne
Basset Hound
Bavarian Mountain Hound
Beagle
Bearded Collie
Beauceron
Bedlington Terrier
Belgian Malinois
Belgian Sheepdog
Belgian Tervuren
Bergamasco
Berger Picard
Bernese Mountain Dog
Bichon Frise
Biewer Terrier
Black Russian Terrier
Black and Tan Coonhound
Black and Tan English Toy Terrier
Bloodhound
Bluetick Coonhound
Boerboel
Bolognese
Border Collie
Border Terrier
Borzoi
Boston Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
Boxer
Boykin Spaniel
Bracco Italiano
Braque du Bourbonnais
Brazilian Terrier
Briard
Brittany
Broholmer
Brussels Griffon
Bulgarian Shepherd
Bull Terrier
Bulldog
Bullmastiff
Cairn Terrier
Canaan Dog
Canadian Eskimo Dog
Cane Corso
Cardigan Welsh Corgi
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Caucasian Shepherd Dog
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Central Asian Ovcharka
Cesky Terrier
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Chihuahua
Chinese Crested
Chinese Shar-Pei
Chinook
Chow Chow
Cirneco dell'Etna
Clumber Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
Collie
Continental Toy Spaniel
Coton de Tulear
Coyote
Croatian Shepherd Dog
Curly-Coated Retriever
Dalmatian
Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Doberman Pinscher
Dogue de Bordeaux
Drever
Dutch Shepherd Dog
English Cocker Spaniel
English Foxhound
English Setter
English Springer Spaniel
English Toy Spaniel
Entlebucher Mountain Dog
Estrela Mountain Dog
Eurasier
Field Spaniel
Finnish Hound
Finnish Lapphund
Finnish Spitz
Flat-Coated Retriever
French Bulldog
German Longhaired Pointer
German Pinscher
German Rough Haired Pointer
German Shepherd Dog
German Shorthaired Pointer
German Spitz
German Wirehaired Pointer
Giant Schnauzer
Glen of Imaal Terrier
Golden Retriever
Gordon Setter
Grand Basset Griffon Vendéen
Great Dane
Great Pyrenees
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Greyhound
Hamiltonstovare
Harrier
Havanese
Hokkaido Inu
Hovawart
Ibizan Hound
Icelandic Sheepdog
Irish Red and White Setter
Irish Setter
Irish Terrier
Irish Water Spaniel
Irish Wolfhound
Italian Greyhound
Japanese Chin
Japanese Spitz
Jindo
Kai Ken
Karelian Bear Dog
Keeshond
Kerry Blue Terrier
Kishu Ken
Komondor
Kooikerhondje
Kromfohrlander
Kuvasz
Labrador Retriever
Lacy Dog
Lagotto Romagnolo
Lakeland Terrier
Lancashire Heeler
Landseer (European Continental Type)
Lapponian Herder
Large Münsterlander
Leonberger
Lhasa Apso
Longhaired Dachshund
Löwchen
Maltese
Manchester Terrier
Maremma Sheepdog
Mastiff
McNab
Medium Poodle
Mexican Street Dog
Mi-ki
Miniature American Shepherd
Miniature Bull Terrier
Miniature Longhaired Dachshund
Miniature Pinscher
Miniature Poodle
Miniature Schnauzer
Miniature Shorthaired Dachshund
Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund
Mudi
Neapolitan Mastiff
Newfoundland
Nordic Spitz
Norfolk Terrier
Norwegian Buhund
Norwegian Elkhound
Norwegian Lundehund
Norwich Terrier
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Old English Sheepdog
Otterhound
Papillon
Parson Russell Terrier
Pekingese
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Perro de Presa Canario
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
Pharaoh Hound
Plott Hound
Pointer
Polish Lowland Sheepdog
Pomeranian
Portuguese Podengo Medio
Portuguese Podengo Pequeno
Portuguese Pointer
Portuguese Sheepdog
Portuguese Water Dog
Pug
Puli
Pumi
Pyrenean Mastiff
Pyrenean Shepherd
Rat Terrier
Redbone Coonhound
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Rottweiler
Russell Terrier
Russian Toy Terrier
Russian Tsvetnaya Bolonka
Saint Bernard
Saluki
Samoyed
Schapendoes
Schipperke
Scottish Deerhound
Scottish Terrier
Sealyham Terrier
Shetland Sheepdog
Shiba Inu
Shih Tzu
Shikoku Ken
Shorthaired Dachshund
Siberian Husky
Silky Terrier
Skye Terrier
Sloughi
Slovakian Chuvach
Small Münsterlander
Smooth Fox Terrier
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
South Russian Ovcharka
Spanish Water Dog
Spinone Italiano
Stabyhoun
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Standard Poodle
Standard Schnauzer
Sussex Spaniel
Swedish Elkhound
Swedish Vallhund
Thai Ridgeback
Tibetan Mastiff
Tibetan Spaniel
Tibetan Terrier
Toy Fox Terrier
Toy Manchester Terrier
Toy Poodle
Transylvanian Hound
Treeing Walker Coonhound
Vizsla
Weimaraner
Welsh Springer Spaniel
Welsh Terrier
West Highland White Terrier
Whippet
White Swiss Shepherd
Wire Fox Terrier
Wirehaired Dachshund
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
Wirehaired Vizsla
Wolf
Xoloitzcuintli
Yorkshire Terrier

Sadly, I do not see the Tenterfield Terrier on the list, although it does list "Australian Terrier" and "Toy Fox Terrier". Not the same thing, unfortunately.

I bet that you would get a result indicating that your dog is a mix of a couple of the terriers it is able to recognize, like the fox terrier. In fact, I suspect that is why Mouse and Bear's results included spurious rare breeds. Some of their DNA probably didn't closely match any specific breed, so the algorithm just grabbed the closest thing it could find that sort of fit instead of defaulting to "Mixed breed" for the remaining DNA. They probably do this on purpose because people would rather imagine that their dog has a little Saluki or Brazilian Terrier in them, rather than getting told they are 20% "I don't know".

On an unrelated note, this is one of the problems with using Google Translate to help you translate stuff into a language you do not speak. Even if you input pure gibberish, it won't tell you it doesn't understand what you wrote, please try again. It will just out-put complete gibberish in a different language. This isn't so terrible when you are asking it to translate from an unknown language to your native tongue, because you can probably figure out if it is objectively nonsense, but going the other direction is asking for trouble. With the Wisdom Panel, it wants to assign a dog breed to 100% of your dog's DNA. But realistically, it probably can't do that, especially with a heavily mixed dog, like Mouse. So it identifies the big chunks and then throws some wild guesses at the little stuff. Maybe your dog is 2% Saint Bernard. You weren't there when its great great great great great grand parents had a litter of puppies, so how can you prove it didn't happen?
Anything is possible, if you believe. :lol:

Still, I'm impressed that the DNA panel was able to hit the mark more than it missed it. It might not be completely perfect, but it is better than visual breed analysis and it provides some interesting insights into your dog's genetic heritage. I imagine that the science behind dog DNA panels will only get stronger with time. It is essentially a novelty, but one that does give you some real information about your dog that might not be obvious at a glance.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Much to the annoyance to some TT owners, people often refer to Tenterfield Terriers as Mini Foxies (Toy Fox Terrier), which is incorrect.
I am quite impressed with the test and the results though, like you said maybe one day it'll be better and able to tell me my dog's a Tentie :geek:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I used to have a Northern Inuit (Tamaskan) back in the UK, so he´s not on the list I guess, though I think they´re mixes of breeds, I´m not really sure.

Nice to see Lunas results, A very interesting activity that´s for sure! :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the difference in Gracie and Luna's temperaments. Gracie is all "I am a Good Girl, please stop being a dumba$$" and Luna is like "LET'S GO"

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I love the difference in Gracie and Luna's temperaments. Gracie is all "I am a Good Girl, please stop being a dumba$$" and Luna is like "LET'S GO"
Yes, that is Luna and Gracie's relationship in a nutshell. Gracie is the strict older sister who gets straight As and always keeps her room perfectly clean and tidy. Luna is the excitable, silly younger sister who is always quick with a joke or a prank. Gracie tries so hard to be perfect and expects Luna to do the same. But Luna doesn't care about perfection because she is too busy enjoying life and living every moment to the fullest, with no regard for the consequences.

Meanwhile, Bear doesn't have Luna's puppy playfulness or Gracie's nervous energy. He is just really solid and thoughtful and quiet. He is a very zen doggo.

Bear's personality and temperament is completely different from the majority of the dogs I've encountered. Gracie and Luna are both very people-oriented. Bear is not. He is task-oriented. And his task is watching over his charges ... which happens to me and the other people or animals that he considers part of his pack. I can tell that Bear likes and respects me as a pack member, but he also doesn't obey my commands instantly and without question. If I tell Bear to do something, he thinks about it and decides if it is a good idea. Sometimes he decides that it isn't, so he just ignores me. He already has a job to do and the job comes first.

Do I really expect him to come when he is busy staring at suspicious-looking trees?

20190127_112405.jpg

"Sure lady, that sounds like a great idea ... if you want to get eaten by a cougar!"

20190127_112409.jpg

To give him credit, I am still alive and uneaten. So he must doing his job right. Who am I to argue with the results?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Oh wow, super cool! Luna is too cute. Aren’t those tests so fascinating? I also did a DNA test on Casper but with Embark. Here’s his profile.

I already had known roughly what his mix would be but they gave so much information from recessive health traits, why he is the color he is and even relatives. I’m in contact with a few of his now, actually!

Only thing they may have missed the mark on is his weight. His “predicted adult weight” by Embark was 57, and he’s a fit 70 right now at 9.5 months.