• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our new cage is here!

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
So, I'm terrible at delaying gratification! I was going to wait a bit to order a new cage so (flightless) Snowy and my other three could live together, but once I found the right cage... FedEx did their part to delay things and managed to have it "out for delivery" three days in a row before they finally decided to bring it to me! :rolleyes: Truck troubles, apparently.

I got the MCage double flight cage, in white, which is actually light gray. I've always had black cages, and I think I probably prefer them, but the trim in our house is white (the windows in the photo below are the last ones waiting for paint -- and of course the budgies will be nowhere in the area when I do that!), so I figured a light cage might look better, especially since it's so big...

newcage.jpg

And it's SO BIG! :wideyed: My younger daughter there is nearly four feet tall. It's as wide as they said it would be, and roughly as deep, but it's taller than I expected -- the cage part, in particular. People said it was 32" tall, but it's more like 36". And the floor grates don't fit inside the cage, so I can't use them to raise the floor, as I'd hoped. It came with the little shelves you can see halfway up, and I realized I could put them lower and use them to create a floor just under the bottom of the door... but that makes for a cage that's ~30" tall, which would still be a long way for Snowy to fall. I think if I leave them where they are and don't put perches directly over the gaps, then it'll be really unlikely she'll ever fall (or, lbh, jump, thinking she can fly) the entire height of the cage. I'll put a layer of fleece on them and cover it with paper towel to make it easy to change, for a soft landing. That's what I'll try first, anyway.

My (human) girls are VERY excited to get the budgies moved over today! But first I have to close up the gap between the two sides, get the fleece padding ready, etc, etc. Oh, and move over all the perches and toys! I'll definitely post more photos once we have it set up, but *I* might also very a little bit super excited, so I had to share ASAP.

Oh, btw, I found the cage very easy to put together. The instructions are laughable, and it's a bit of a logic puzzle to figure out which screws are for which parts, but it went together really quickly. And it feels nice and sturdy. Not the most heavy-duty cage, but not flimsy -- certainly enough for budgies!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Nice cage!

And welcome to the Avenue from:
Kiwi :budgie: Oreo :tielmu: and Nacho! :tiel3:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Can't believe the size of that cage--- wow! You make your birds VERY happy!

I'm sure it weighed alot more than the normal 50# max for delivery! You are a good Mom...

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
It took a couple of hours, but the cage is all set up, and the girls have moved in! I cut strips of clear acrylic-type plastic to cover the gap between the two sides. That worked so well -- you can't even see it! All the horizontal surfaces are covered with fleece and then paper, so Snowy doesn't have anything too hard to land on. I didn't move over all the perches we have, and the cage feels a bit wide-open, but I want there to be room for the flighted budgies to actually fly. Snowy uses the bars to get where she wants to go, so she'll be fine.

2020-03-05cage.jpg

I'm soooo happy I went with the white/gray cage!! I was really torn when I was ordering, but the black one would have been so dark in this spot. I put the plastic trays on top of the floor grates, since I wanted a solid floor to place the fleece and paper on.

I moved Snowy over first and then got Pickle over with a handful of seeds. Pickle pretty quickly went over to Snowy, and Snowy immediately started singing to her! :heart::heart::heart: I have only ever heard her sing ONCE before, which was when Gemmy was hanging on the outside of her cage. Snowy is so delighted to be with the others. She was the first to settle in and start preening once they were all over. Here's the girl gang, all together at last:

2020-03-05fourgirls.jpg

(I know some people don't like those coconuts, but we've had it for ages, and it's never been a problem for my hens.) Pickle and Ivy are going through a molt, don't mind them. Everybody seems to be peacefully coexisting, exploring, eating, etc. It'll be fun to see which areas of the cage become their favorites and which needs to be reconfigured.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww such lucky birds!!!!!!!!! I love the new cage setup and it looks really good!!

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oh wow, major cage envy! :starscfe:
Looks like you put a lot of thought into making the perfect home for your girls. They look thrilled!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yay! They are so happy!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great setup! I agree that the light colored cage really has a wonderful open look on that wall. Lucky birds!

I call my 4 granddaughters the "girl gang" too. Hilarious (and typical) that your girls are all smushed together in that great big cage!

Gigibirds

Oh my goodness that looks amazing!! I've been thinking of getting a cage for my family of lovebirds (parents and 2 babies) for when the weather is too bad to be in the aviary.....could you please post the link to where to get this cage? It looks gorgeous (and I want one just like it)!

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
I don't usually buy off Amazon, but this is the one I got: Amazon.com : Large Double Flight Bird Wrought Iron Double Cage w/ Slide Out Divider 3 Levels Bird Parrot Cage Cockatiel Conure Bird Cage 63" Lx19 Dx64 H W/Stand on Wheels (63" Lx19 Dx64 H, White Vein) : Kitchen & Dining Of course, it now says it's unavailable! There are other very similar ones by different manufacturers, and you can probably find the MCage one through a different retailer.

I'm really loving how huge the doors are and how easy they are (for me, not the budgies) to unlatch and open. No more doors that go TWANG! and scare the birds.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
My girls are settling in nicely! I swear they don't ALWAYS all hang out in the same spot together.

C2C3CCB0-6D35-4986-89A9-A554594EBF4F.JPG

I hadn't quite realized that Snowy is smaller than the others, though it's not surprising. I was a bit worried about whether she'd hold her own, but I shouldn't have been. She just (somewhat) quietly holds her ground, and the others don't mess with her. I had put acrylic on the ceiling of her old cage, so she wouldn't climb on it while her wings were healing, but she's back to being a bat in this cage. It seems to be the way she prefers to sleep, even though it looks terribly uncomfortable to me. At least she spends her days upright! :laugh:

I wouldn't have put the platforms in this cage if it weren't for Snowy, but all the birds seem to really like them. I put their food dishes on the center platform, and it's so cute watching them run back and forth between the bowls. They haven't really explored the lower half of the cage yet (they always used the entirety of their tall cage), but it hasn't even been two full days yet.