• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Little Ones Have Arrived

Kiko&Mango

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tyler
Our 2 baby girl caiques just arrived this morning and we're overjoyed to have them! However, we have a few questions and are hoping people here have had experience and can give us some guidance. They just arrived this morning and are not fully weaned. We have the syringes and formula but they seem tired/shocked after their journey on the airplane. When should we try to feed them? They're resting comfortable together. Also, when should we move them to their cage? We have a large beautifully stocked cage with toys, ladders, etc for them but aren't sure when they should get moved in on a full time basis.

Any other general advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@Laurie you are the best person I know to answer these questions.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Keep them in a warm dark humid place
Feed them when their crops are empty.
Feeding baby birds is a technical skill. Not for beginners
Temperature is critical
Food consistency is critical

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there,

Sorry I did not see this until now. I have had a very busy week :)

How are the babies doing? How old are they?

Kiko&Mango

Real Name
Tyler
They're doing great! They love snuggling and playing around on the floor. They've begun to test out the ladders we got for them, but they're still a little unsure of their feet. From the information we were given, they hatched around May 25th. The bigger one has begun showing some interest in nonformula food (she had a couple nibbles of an apple last night). They're growing quick!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They are cute!!!! At 8 weeks I guess they should be eating some solid food. Would think maybe lucky for them that they are not too vulnerable on the temp of food. I would suppose even warm cereals like oatmeal could be given...Not sure so the cakies feel free to advise.

Not really good for a breeder to let babies go before they are fully weaned & I hope these ladies don;t have any problems because of it

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are adorable.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful. Congrats.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Such little sweeties!:heart:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
They are so adorable :heart::heart:

Kiko&Mango

Real Name
Tyler
UPDATE-- Kiko and Mango went to the vet last night (for their routine physical- no causes for concern), and we are happy to report they are as healthy as can be. Everything is normal and they are quickly learning flying, eating, climbing, etc. We did, however, learn some very saddening news. Our babies are significantly younger than we were told and that basically everything we were told by our breeder was a lie/incorrect. We were told by the breeder that they hatched ~May 25th, but the vet doesn't think they hatched until later into the first week of June, meaning that they were between 5-7 weeks old when they were shipped, not to mention, unweaned. Our hearts broke as we found this out because we both realized how lucky they were to have survived the trip. As we got closer to having the birds shipped (from Miami to NC), we found out that our birds may not have been receiving the level of care they needed, and thus we decided to have them shipped under the impression that they were a couple weeks older than they actually were. We believed they were going to be better taken care of by us than the breeder's "friend."

We're at a loss about what to do about the breeder because the website only gives 250 characters to review the breeder, and what happened with our babies should not happen to anyone else. I feel the need to do something so that someone else does not have their hearts broken, but I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. FYI, we found the breeder on BirdsNow.com

PS- Mango and Kiko are receiving lots of love and care through their development as they grow. Here they are practicing their eating!
birdies4.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh gosh. I got Capt Jack over by Miami. Would you mind to pm me the breeder's name?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That isn't my breeder. Thanks.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month