• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Kakarikis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Our Kakarikis - They Got Eggies, I got Question

Most of you guys know what the weather has been like in UK lately, its been snowing on and off since the week before Christmas and the temp has been as low as -17oC over night some nights.
Well our pair of Kakarikis decided to start mating about the time we got the first lot of snow!
Mum went out to feed them and check on them as she hadnt seen them today, she looked in the nest box and they were all curled up in the bottom, fearing they were dead she took the nest box down and found they have THREE eggs!
Are they mad, or is this a normal Kakariki behaviour for this time of year?
We were told they were born in January 09 from different parents, but I didnt actually think anything would happen with these two just yet.
Does anyone have any advice they can give me?
None of our other Parrots have bred since we have had them.

Last edited:

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
if you don't want them to breed or hadn't planned to, don't add nest boxes
it's still pretty cold here and there is more to come
remove all the boxes

kaks can get bald during breeding, they'd freeze to death :D

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I dont actually have any say in it because they are my mums birds, we were told they probably would breed with or without a nest box, I dont know how true this info was, and we were also told they prefer breeding in the cold weather, this I guess was true.
I didnt know they could go bald though, but as they were born in January and its winter here from Oct - March roughly, Im starting to think that winter is their breeding time.

Status
Not open for further replies.