• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Green cheek pineapple counure - Mojo

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What treats ? I need to find something to use as a treat for her i was told banana chips where a favourite however she really doesnt seem that fussed with them,saying that she did nearly take one from my hand through the bars today touched it with her beak then decided not to bother. I was pleased she came across to me though she is definately becoming more confident with me now by the day hopefully this continues.

So back to the question what kind of things can i buy her to use as treats to reward her good behaviour and assist when i start training her.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo has been a good girl today apart from generally amusing me with her antics. 20210430_143156.jpg
Like walking around on the top of her cage upside down, she has started taking food from my hand through the bars i am really pleased her trust in me is growing.
Gave a click with a clicker each time and made sure i praised her by telling her she was a good girl.

She has had a good first 6 days really pleased and proud of her.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What treats ?
So back to the question what kind of things can i buy her to use as treats to reward her good behaviour and assist when i start training?
My pineapple loves safflower seeds and sunflower seeds as treats for going back to her cage for bedtime.

Almost all of her fruit intake comes in the form of treats throughout the day. We only do 10% of her diet as fruit, as it’s high in sugar and GCC can be prone to obesity. Her vet has her diet 50% pellets, 30% fresh vegetables and chop and 10% seeds. With the remaining 10% to be used for treats. Sometimes that 10% treat is more seeds (like the sunflower/safflower at bedtime) and sometimes it’s fruit. She loves chunks of watermelon and strawberries! Blueberry and raspberry are big favorites too, she only gets 1 at a time of those. Tiny chunks of apple and sometimes plum as well. Occasionally the 10% treat portion for the day goes to something processed and manufactured for birds, like Avi-cakes from Lafeber but ours really does like fresh fruit more than anything else.

We do short training sessions and always show her the fruit she will be earning before we start! It works really well for us.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pineapple loves safflower seeds and sunflower seeds as treats for going back to her cage for bedtime.

Almost all of her fruit intake comes in the form of treats throughout the day. We only do 10% of her diet as fruit, as it’s high in sugar and GCC can be prone to obesity. Her vet has her diet 50% pellets, 30% fresh vegetables and chop and 10% seeds. With the remaining 10% to be used for treats. Sometimes that 10% treat is more seeds (like the sunflower/safflower at bedtime) and sometimes it’s fruit. She loves chunks of watermelon and strawberries! Blueberry and raspberry are big favorites too, she only gets 1 at a time of those. Tiny chunks of apple and sometimes plum as well. Occasionally the 10% treat portion for the day goes to something processed and manufactured for birds, like Avi-cakes from Lafeber but ours really does like fresh fruit more than anything else.

We do short training sessions and always show her the fruit she will be earning before we start! It works really well for us.
Sounds good thanks

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Mojo is such a cutie!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Had to give Mojos cage a good clean today i clean it daily but today was a deeper clean.
So had my hands in the cage for longer than usual and she was no bother just stood on her perch and watched not bothered in the least.
The plan was to give her some treats through the bars for being so good but i thought i would try and see if she would take a treat from me with my hand in the cage and she took them from me no problem really pleased with how she has settled in so far.

20210501_181101.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has mojo tried a bath yet!? She so adorable!
Not yet i am going to put a bowl on the bottom of her cage tomorrow she has dunked her head in her water but not gone full on into her bowl.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she eating out of your hand yet?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she eating out of your hand yet?
yeah she has been for about 5 days now with my hand in the cage and before that was taking food from my hand through the bars have been doing target training as you suggested asking her to touch the stick she does and gets her treat, hasnt stepped up yet but will move from one perch to another when taget training but looses interest after about 7 or 8 mins.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but looses interest after about 7 or 8 mins.
Typical baby behavior!! Ugh. You’re making me miss having babies around. From taking food from your hand, quickly comes stepping up on it! And then before you know it, she’ll be cruising around your house!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The training is pretty much a stand of with mojo not wanting to go any further and thats fair enough she has got to set the comfort level but she does appear bored very easily with just touching a stick couple of times and she is done.
She now go's crazy of a evening if i leave the room whistling and chirping until i return.
Doesnt go crazy during the day as i think she knows i have to go upstairs for work ( well understands the routine )

She is playing with her toys a lot more now and seems so much more settled each day.

When it's time for her to settle i close the curtains behind her cage and tell her to go to bed and she go's to her sleep perch ( she has stopped sleeping hanging on the side of the cage now )

She has been my girl 2 weeks tomorrow and i couldnt be any happier with how things have gone, she is so much more confident but still cautious.

20210507_210214.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After what i would think is a couple of good weeks progress with Mojo things have stalled somewhat but thats ok :(

I will admit it is slightly frustrating for me but i am absolutely fine with Mojo dictating the pace of how things move forward ( i keep a reef tank and one of the things i have learnt is nothing good happens fast but things can go wrong at the drop of a hat so i have learnt patience )

She is excelent with her target training i say touch she touches aned gets her treat after a two or thre times she is bored i have tried getting her to step up on a perch and my finger and she is showing no interest in either she would rather just get off and play with one of her toys.

If i leave the room and she cant see me ( my kitchen is next to the room she lives in so if i am in there she can see me ) she whistles calling for me and when i retrun she is right over to the closest side of the cage to see me :heart:

when she does come out of the cage i will be putting up a curtain so she cant get into the kitchen by the way so no worries there i know there will be a degree of Mojo proofing when she is ready to come out and that is fine.

I have just placed a order for more food ( seed i know i need to look into pellets and i will do ) she is currently eating a good amount of veg daily and picking at seed during the day she gets fruit when we train with her fave ( to much of a fave imo being grape )

I have though also ordered stuff to grow sprouts for her so hopefully can add some good protein rich nice fresh food to her diet.

I woud just like to add to the above with regards buying more seed for her my priority is keeping her eating and as i am still feeding her on a mix of the food the breeder gave me and what he suggested i buy to transition her onto i will continue with this for a while, she has had a huge change in her young life landing in my house without the stress of messing with her food at the moment in my opinion.

I also couldnt help myself and bought her some new toys as well and a naural wood perch ( would have bought her two but the other one was out of stock :bash:)

I have also bought some F10 vetrinarian detergant am i ok using this on a cloth to wipe her cage down until i get to the point where she is out of the cage and i can give it a good spray ?

20210502_163209.jpg

Mojo would like to thank you all for all you help and advise

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Still loving all the photos of Mojo!

1.) Holy crap about patience and reefs. Ugh, I’ve been putting off refugium maintenance on all 3 of mine…you just reminded me I need to get my butt in gear this weekend.
2.) Seeds are not the devil. They can lead to poor health in many birds- they’re high in fat and most are not vitamin enriched or balanced. So obesity prone birds can balloon weight on eating them exclusively and because they’re not balanced, vitamin and mineral deficiencies can result. Mojo does not need to worry for a bit. She is still a baby, and I’ve always had GCC on higher amounts of seed well through their first birthday. They need protein and fats because they’re growing and big feather moults, etc. I 100% wouldn’t worry about you going through so much seed right now. Keep the veggies as varied as possible… corn, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, squash, pumpkin, cucumbers, peppers, and potatoes were all in my chop mix this week. The only thing I would keep to a minimum is fruit, that I would use as high value treats.
3.) No F10 while she is still cage bound. It’s strictly only bird safe once dry. And the contact/dry time is too long for a bird still mainly residing in the cage. If you let her out, you can clean the cage with it, provided she is out the entire time the cage is drying and only put away when everything is 100% dry. I stick to dawn dish soap and water for cage bound birds cleaning.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone woke me up at 3am this morning was the loudest squawk ever ( well loudest i have heard ) i only heard the one the one that woke me up i lay there for a bit and total silence i couldnt settle so got up to check on Mojo and she was well away sleeping like a baby so assuming she got a fright and then dropped back off to sleep.

She has really got her routine now my wife gets up at about 6.30 and Mojo just mills about her cage having a play with her toys until 7.30 when i get up and then she gets excited as she knows her food is on the way if i am not down by 7.30 though she starts rattling on her empty bowl by all acounts asking where i am and where is her breakfast.
there is no squaking or noise though just rattling on her bowl asking for her food.

she is playing with her toys a lot more now bar one of them i am going to move that so it is lower down in the cage giving her the oppertunity so use it more it is possibly not placed in the better place for her to enjoy it i also have a lolly ice stick toy that i havent added yet i am goint to leave it outside of her cage tomorrow after i give her cage a good scrub to let her get used to it and then add put it inside.

I dont work on a Tuesday so i can spendmost of the day with her and will crack on with the target training she really lost interest in it so have given her a break for a couple of days.

My wife is now feeding her from her hand through the bars so she is now happily taking food from both of us from our hands....

She done something yesterday that made us both laugh loads i think she knows how funny we thought it as she seems to do it now if she isnt getting enough attention

I swear the first time she done it she done if for 30 mins straight.

When i was on my dinner today and stopped chatting to her she rolled it out again ( excuse the pun ) she really does make me chuckle.

20210510_114205.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
1.) Holy crap about patience and reefs. Ugh, I’ve been putting off refugium maintenance on all 3 of mine
3 reef tanks ? where do you find the time ?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After a little bit of target training today with Mojo i could see that she was loosing interest she took to it straight away and has always just touched the target never grabbing it i can direct her from perch to perch with the stick and also just pointing to the perch with my finger now and saying " this perch Mojo "
Once she started to loose interest i thought i would offer her my finger and ask her to step up she leaned down and gave it a gentle nibble as if she was checking it out i told her no and she stopped before giving it a another little nibble i wouldnt describe it as anything aggressive more a case of her checking out what was on offer.
I asked her to step up again she just happily stood there not doing anything this is the closest i have got so far i thought i would try and give her belly a gentle rub and she happily let me me do this up until now she has backed away from my outstretch finger even though she has been taking food from my fingers and off the palm of my hand i gave her a treat and removed my hands from my cage whilst she enjoyed it and then moved my hand back into the cage with my finger outstretched again and asked her to step up.
Then she lifted her right leg and her foot was on my finger she gave it another gentle nibble again i said no beak Mojo she again stopped and just stood with one foot on my finger i gave her a treat and told her she was a good girl.
Once she had eaten her treat i again offered her my finger this time it was her left leg that was lifted and her left foot that wrapped around my finger she didnt nibble this time and just stood there with her foot on my finger me talking to her this lasted for a couple of mins before she removed her foot i gave her a treat telling her she was a good girl.

So i have got to half stepups if there is such a thing ? well if there isnt there is now i was pretty happy with myself and more happy with Mojo and will continue with this tomorrow and hopefully will see more progress.

Also what is very noticable is when her cage door now is she likes to get on her water bowl and lean over looking out the door i really get the impression she wants out so hopefully i can get her to step up over the next few days and then give her the opportunity to come out of her cage on Saturday.

20210511_141604.jpg

Enjoying her new toy.