• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Green cheek pineapple counure - Mojo

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay!! Saturday can’t come soon enough!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Oh this is the best thread EVER for someone like me who’s anxiously waiting to being home her baby yellow sided green cheek conure. Please do keep posting if you can! I’m learning so much and even though I know every parrot is different it is still really cool to read about how your first few weeks have gone.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@FiatLux
Interesting tidbit for you! So little Mojo here is a Pineapple- (a gorgeous high red that if I lived across the sea I’d snap up!) but can you believe that your new baby is actually one of the morph varieties involved in making this color? Yep. Pineapples are made by crossing a cinnamon with a yellow sided. You can then breed on with Pineapple to Pineapple breedings. Cool, huh?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
@FiatLux
Interesting tidbit for you! So little Mojo here is a Pineapple- (a gorgeous high red that if I lived across the sea I’d snap up!) but can you believe that your new baby is actually one of the morph varieties involved in making this color? Yep. Pineapples are made by crossing a cinnamon with a yellow sided. You can then breed on with Pineapple to Pineapple breedings. Cool, huh?
Oh that is really cool!! Had to Google “morph varieties” and then pull myself out of that rabbit hole lol! I think one day I’ll use this topic to explain genetics to my homeschooled sons. After I learn it, that is : )

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh this is the best thread EVER for someone like me who’s anxiously waiting to being home her baby yellow sided green cheek conure. Please do keep posting if you can! I’m learning so much and even though I know every parrot is different it is still really cool to read about how your first few weeks have gone.
Thanks for the nice feedback i plan to keep posting initially it planned as more of a log and point of referance for me as i go on this journey with Mojo, however it has been great to have people following along and offering advice and encouragement.

Yay!! Saturday can’t come soon enough!
I can't wait as i have said previously i am in no rush however i think she is itching to get out and as she loves her food i think she will return to her cage once its time for her late feed.

@FiatLux
Thats interesting i didnt know that thanks for the info and input on my thread.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well what a day

Mojo was getting crazy this morning when i headed upstairs to the office noisy as i had to head back downstairs the moment i walked in the room all good silence.
I work for local goverment and most of my day is generally spent on the phone today however i was free this morning ( not gettin call after call ) as i am involved in a new project so could sneak downstairs and indulge my girl.
There was some gentle nibbles and the half step up and then some bites that i felt, as soon as she bit i said No she sat up as i had raised my voice she stepped of i removed my hand from her cage and gave my finger a wave saying no bite Mojo naughty.

I then went again ground hog day nibbles and then bites i had read something @Mizerly ( dont know if i have tagged correctly) had posted so i blew on her she was well and truly shocked i.told her again bites where naughty and then.went again.

She nibbled but wouldnt step up i went back to work. No noise no fuss ( note to self i need to get out of bed 30 mins earlier.to spend some quality time with Mojo before work ) i spend time with her feed her but no 1 on 1 interaction i feel she is asking for this and thats why all the noise.
This will only be a short term problem i hope as once i have earned Mojos trust and she is out and about she will be coming to work with me.

I then got stuck work late I normally spend some training time with Mojo once i finish work after cleaning her cage and then i feed her fresh veg.
As i was late by a good hour i sorted her veg fed her she chowed down and then she went crazy loads of noise and jumping around the cage.
I had the football on tv ( you might all call it soccer ) huge game for my team however i knew she wanted to play.

So cut some pieces of grape ( her favourite )
Opened her cage she straight away moved across to her platform perch that is directly.at the right of her door.
I tapped the perch i wanted her on and said Mojo go there she swiftly run around her cage and stood on the perch.
Then groundhog day one foot nibbles then bites tell her she is naughty.

And then she stepped up both feet on my finger got her treat stepped off and enjoyed her treat.

I then offered my finger again didnt even need to ask her to step up she just stepped up gave her a treat she stepped off and enjoyed her treat.

I cant say i havent wondered if i was approaching this the right way when i have seen posts where people have brought birds home have them out of the cage and stroking them and interacting with them from day 1 however i couldnt be happier with how things have gone with my Girl i have said earlier in my thread i need to earn her trust i would like to think i have now.

Loving the journey.with my girl
20210513_192708.jpg 20210513_144046.jpg 20210513_144210.jpg 20210513_143959.jpg 20210513_143953.jpg 20210513_143451.jpg 20210513_143445.jpg 20210513_143310.jpg

Looking forward to Saturday when i open the door of her cage and see where it go's

More step ups tommorow

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will be three weeks tomorrow since i brought my girl home and i am now just as excited as i will be opening here cage and giving her the oppertunity if she chooses to come out and join us in the room spread her wings and do a little bit of exploring.

she is stepping up over and over now there has been a bit more biting however i have been being saying NO Mojo quite directly with a different tone than i normally speak to her and i feel she is getting the message when it looks as is she is going to bit i say no she has been nibbling and then comes the bite all the time with her foot on my finger i believe this is more curiousity than aggresion.
After a bit of the above she stepped up over and over again :)

will be bird prooffing the room covering mirrors curtains will be shut a curtain will be getting hung between the room and the kitchen @Sparkles! do i need to cover the side glass and front glass on my reef ?

really looking forward to seeing if she heads out to join us but got to say there are some nerves all part of the journey no doubt.

Just noticed it's 7 mins past midnight so later today now

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your tank an open top? It’s rimless, right? It’s most important that the top be covered- (egg crate or fluorescent lighting grid works in a pinch) and if you’re using pendant lighting that get hot that she can’t fly directly into one.
I don’t cover my sides or fronts. But do really get a plan for a top and light protection if you don’t already. I’ve seen halide cooked birds and never care to again. And I’ve personally had a bird hit/land on a suspended high end LED pendant and send it crashing into 20 pieces.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your tank an open top? It’s rimless, right? It’s most important that the top be covered- (egg crate or fluorescent lighting grid works in a pinch) and if you’re using pendant lighting that get hot that she can’t fly directly into one.
I don’t cover my sides or fronts. But do really get a plan for a top and light protection if you don’t already. I’ve seen halide cooked birds and never care to again. And I’ve personally had a bird hit/land on a suspended high end LED pendant and send it crashing into 20 pieces.
it is rimless but is covered by a perspex sheet wrasse can jump lights arent pendant they are on brackets over the tank

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
it is rimless but is covered by a perspex sheet wrasse can jump lights arent pendant they are on brackets over the tank
How well installed are the brackets? If a tennis ball were to go flying through the living room and pop one of them, would they hold? That’s pretty much a conure. If whatever you’re wondering about being safe/stable can take a bonk from a flying tennis ball, it’ll survive a conure.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How well installed are the brackets? If a tennis ball were to go flying through the living room and pop one of them, would they hold? That’s pretty much a conure. If whatever you’re wondering about being safe/stable can take a bonk from a flying tennis ball, it’ll survive a conure.
They would take a tennins ball

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg!!!
She’s gorgeous. How is she doing? Things going well?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks like a young version of my little girl! Oh how I love the pineapples!:pgcc::pgcc::pgcc::pgcc:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And back in her cage

20210515_170805.jpg
Omg!!!
She’s gorgeous. How is she doing? Things going well?
Done really well was a little overwhelmed at first had a hour out a good fly about

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
And back in her cage

View attachment 382788

Done really well was a little overwhelmed at first had a hour out a good fly about
So you got her wings unclipped? The bird store I’m getting mine from requires wings clipped before they go home. I have very mixed feelings about it. Do post a video when you can. What a great start y’all are off to!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So you got her wings unclipped? The bird store I’m getting mine from requires wings clipped before they go home. I have very mixed feelings about it. Do post a video when you can. What a great start y’all are off to!
Yes her wings where unclipped i didn't buy her from a store i bought direct from the breeder and is not something he believes in doing i was happy with that.

I understand you having mixed feelings however that wasnt your choice was the store, will you clip the bird when you have him/her home i doubt it.

No videos sorry just about managed to get some pics for about 90% of the time she was climbing all over me

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks like a young version of my little girl! Oh how I love the pineapples!:pgcc::pgcc::pgcc::pgcc:

I cant recall seeing pics of your girl apart from in your avatar could you post some please