• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our first second bird

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
A little over a year ago we got our first bird a two month old green cheeked conure we named Hobgoblin aka Hobs. Over the course of the year he has become a bright, snuggly, fun little bird. We enjoy him very much.
Yesterday we decided to add to the flock and brought home a 5 month old pearl cockatiel, Bogart or Bo for short. He/she is very sweet though a little shy. They will happily crawl across your lap but is very uncertain about hands which I’m sure will come with time and patience. But for now it is happily eating, drinking, and taking regular poos.
Both birds are currently in different sections of the house and we are being careful to keep things separate and wash ourselves between handling.
We would love any tips, tricks, and words of wisdom for making this a good experience for everyone involved, including the eventual introduction. Thank you in advance! 2BB17D0E-6002-4BBA-9BFF-296A4859EA89.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an exceptionally handsome cockatiel!!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute names, are you a Harry Potter fan?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness he's absolutely precious! :heart:

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Cute names, are you a Harry Potter fan?
We aren’t huge Harry Potter fans tho we do like them. My mother always read me books about Irish and English fairies growing up. So when I was reading about conure characteristics imp came to mind, but I didn’t love that name so we landed on Hobgoblin. Then when we got Bogart we decided to stick with the theme. Sorry that was a longer explication than I meant to write! What are your birds named?

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Oh my goodness he's absolutely precious! :heart:
He’s a love! He’s very afraid of hands at the moment but is otherwise super snuggly. But I’m sure he’ll learn we aren’t going to grab him and become ok with them in time.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s a love! He’s very afraid of hands at the moment but is otherwise super snuggly. But I’m sure he’ll learn we aren’t going to grab him and become ok with them in time.
I understand how that goes. I've got my first untamed bird in almost 16 years of having them so I'm working on showing Bosco that I can be trusted and that if he steps up and wants to hang out with me we could have a lovely time. So far he still terrified of my hands over a month in but we make progress everyday and he definitely wants to be with me he's just afraid to take that next step at the moment but I hope and believe that it will come in time.

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
I understand how that goes. I've got my first untamed bird in almost 16 years of having them so I'm working on showing Bosco that I can be trusted and that if he steps up and wants to hang out with me we could have a lovely time. So far he still terrified of my hands over a month in but we make progress everyday and he definitely wants to be with me he's just afraid to take that next step at the moment but I hope and believe that it will come in time.
Awww I have no doubt it he will! Bogart will walk himself out of his cage and over to me on the chair. Once on my shoulder he happily rides around and snuggles but it’s all very much on his terms. Which I think is fairly understandable and sensible of a bird considering we are many, many times their size!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww I have no doubt it he will! Bogart will walk himself out of his cage and over to me on the chair. Once on my shoulder he happily rides around and snuggles but it’s all very much on his terms. Which I think is fairly understandable and sensible of a bird considering we are many, many times their size!
I've tried to offer him my shoulder and he's definitely contemplated stepping up he'll reach over and beak my shirt but still isn't quite brave enough yet.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwww he’s gorgeous!! :heart2: Beautiful colouring.

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Day 3 was full of lots of big steps! He now steps up with a little coaxing of sunflower seeds. He has discovered a deep love of head scratches and thinks hands might not be so bad after all. He even took a shower with Dad and quite happily stood under the warm water to get all clean. He’s singing a lot which is very cute. The only downside is it’s looking like he’s going to be a Daddy’s bird! AD5A6AA9-5E49-436D-BA30-3FA61A1024CA.jpeg 194377DE-E4D3-4848-B62B-62A9F83D7343.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a pretty tiel!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Not that anyone asked but here’s an update on our sweet Bogart. Just over a week in and he confidently is stepping up on to our fingers, flying over to our shoulders, and climbing all over his new big boy cage. We just love his little cuddly personality. So far top interests involve showers, long naps in his food bowl, and long snuggles. 8D875976-1980-4557-8393-98BE41EC3618.jpeg C8683E84-CA45-44D9-8270-200D981ED5DA.jpeg 8D875976-1980-4557-8393-98BE41EC3618.jpeg C8683E84-CA45-44D9-8270-200D981ED5DA.jpeg 714C3CF0-3AAD-448A-8DB7-E98CA388B62F.jpeg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I just love the fluffy tiel face!