• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our first fight

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Beau now likes to sit on my laptop due to the warmth. He likes to jump around my keys and mess with my touch screen with his tongue lol.

Well, I am taking notes in online class and he is sitting on the top right corner of the keyboard.

I made a typing mistake and had to use backspace so in my quick rhythm I move my pinky and slam it on the backspace.

He lets out a SREEEEEEECCH!!!!! :mad:

Then he tries to square up and fight my pinky lol
:sissfgt:

When he lunged at my finger, I let out a *sssshhhhttt!* blowing air at him and it got him to back off. My initial instinct was to swat him but I don't think I'm supposed to reinforce my hand being the enemy. I then got my pinky close to his face slowly and made that sound until he stopped trying to grab at it. He is a baby, I believe he is 8 weeks old so his bite isn't that hard yet but he's getting braver and the nip he gave me was uncomfortable compared to the baby nibbles he would give before.

Did i do that right? Redirecting him that way with sounds and blowing? Any tips to discourage biting are appreciated.

Vittror

Jogging around the block
To me it sounds like he got startled when you slammed the backspace button and that might be why he reacted/communicated like that.

Blowing to your bird is called 'positive punishment' (adding a negative stimulus to reduce behaviour).
So please don't swat or blow at your bird.
It might seem to work but it's not the best way to go about things.
You want your bird to trust you and be with you, not be scared of you.

Flock-talk has a video where she explains about different kinds of rewarding and punishment: Flock-talk: Training Tips From 10:55 - 14:10.
I personally also find her other videos (especially about training) to be helpful.

Also something to check out: Free Training Resources :)

Next time something like that would happen I'd pull away (if possible) from your bird.
For example in the situation you gave in your post:

You slam the backspace button, your bird startles and lunges at your finger.
He catches your finger and bites: you put your hands away so he can't reach them and you turn away from him for a few seconds.
Don't give him attention for that few seconds. At that moment he also has the time to calm down a bit.
After that bit out time-out you continue with what you were doing.
Don't stay mad at your bird, he had a time-out to realize 'hey, if I bite my friend/treat/nice thing goes away from me and I liked being with her'' so next time he might realize that's not really the way to go.

Pris

Meeting neighbors
To me it sounds like he got startled when you slammed the backspace button and that might be why he reacted/communicated like that.

Blowing to your bird is called 'positive punishment' (adding a negative stimulus to reduce behaviour).
So please don't swat or blow at your bird.
It might seem to work but it's not the best way to go about things.
You want your bird to trust you and be with you, not be scared of you.

Flock-talk has a video where she explains about different kinds of rewarding and punishment: Flock-talk: Training Tips From 10:55 - 14:10.
I personally also find her other videos (especially about training) to be helpful.

Also something to check out: Free Training Resources :)

Next time something like that would happen I'd pull away (if possible) from your bird.
For example in the situation you gave in your post:

You slam the backspace button, your bird startles and lunges at your finger.
He catches your finger and bites: you put your hands away so he can't reach them and you turn away from him for a few seconds.
Don't give him attention for that few seconds. At that moment he also has the time to calm down a bit.
After that bit out time-out you continue with what you were doing.
Don't stay mad at your bird, he had a time-out to realize 'hey, if I bite my friend/treat/nice thing goes away from me and I liked being with her'' so next time he might realize that's not really the way to go.
I see what you mean. Okay I wont blow at him again. What about just the SSHHH sound? Is that bad too? The thing is, he doesnt fully love me yet, he loves the laptop warmth so maybe me pulling away and ignoring him wont really work? Should I still ignoring him?

I also moved him away using a branch and placed him behind me afterwords, i forgot to mention that

Vittror

Jogging around the block
I'm not really sure about the SSHHH sound to be honest.
To me it sounds like it could startle him, hence 'triggering' another posible bite.
But I don't know enough about what kind of effects sounds possibly could have on birds - so I think someone else might be able to answer your question better.

The only thing I know about sounds having effects on birds is that the past owner of Whiskey used to clap in his hands, or slam his hand(s) on the table when Whiskey was something he didn't think desirable.
The effect it had that Whiskey is still afraid of hands moving fast nearby him, and he startles very badly when someone claps in their hands or something accidentally 'slams' or falls down.
If I put my mug to hard on the table - he gets startled for example.

Your bird might love the laptop warmth indeed but the fact that he was sitting very close to you while working on the laptop.. he's at the least interested in you I think, otherwise he wouldn't be sitting that close.
Even if he might not be interested in you I think I would still give him a time-out, if only so he can calm down a bit.

How long did you wait before you moved him away?

May I ask why you think he doesn't love you yet?

And what is the name of your bird? :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Beau ;)

I made a typing mistake and had to use backspace so in my quick rhythm I move my pinky and slam it on the backspace.

He lets out a SREEEEEEECCH!!!!! :mad:

Then he tries to square up and fight my pinky lol
Firstly, expect that around now is when chicks are quite beaky, and will maybe nip you gently, or a little harder as they are growing and exploring.
Secondly, when there is a bite, or a strong nip, it´s important to figure out, why?. You have said why in your original post. You moved quickly and pressed that button, and birds don´t like that quick movement. Especially if Beau was all happy and relaxed.
I would avoid the noise, as it creates drama.
In those circumstances, best to not react, just ignore Beau for a few seconds. Then learn from it, and next time, try to be a little more aware if Beau is on the keyboard that he may get startled if you move quickly.
Try having some little beak toys out for him. I do this with Gisli at nights (though I also have a plug in keyboard for my laptop), I lay out some toys for him to play with at my side, every now and then I join in, but he also learns to play alone.

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Beau ;)

Firstly, expect that around now is when chicks are quite beaky, and will maybe nip you gently, or a little harder as they are growing and exploring.
Secondly, when there is a bite, or a strong nip, it´s important to figure out, why?. You have said why in your original post. You moved quickly and pressed that button, and birds don´t like that quick movement. Especially if Beau was all happy and relaxed.
I would avoid the noise, as it creates drama.
In those circumstances, best to not react, just ignore Beau for a few seconds. Then learn from it, and next time, try to be a little more aware if Beau is on the keyboard that he may get startled if you move quickly.
Try having some little beak toys out for him. I do this with Gisli at nights (though I also have a plug in keyboard for my laptop), I lay out some toys for him to play with at my side, every now and then I join in, but he also learns to play alone.
Thank you. I forget he's not a dog. I tried to caesar milan him lol

Pris

Meeting neighbors
I'm not really sure about the SSHHH sound to be honest.
To me it sounds like it could startle him, hence 'triggering' another posible bite.
But I don't know enough about what kind of effects sounds possibly could have on birds - so I think someone else might be able to answer your question better.

The only thing I know about sounds having effects on birds is that the past owner of Whiskey used to clap in his hands, or slam his hand(s) on the table when Whiskey was something he didn't think desirable.
The effect it had that Whiskey is still afraid of hands moving fast nearby him, and he startles very badly when someone claps in their hands or something accidentally 'slams' or falls down.
If I put my mug to hard on the table - he gets startled for example.

Your bird might love the laptop warmth indeed but the fact that he was sitting very close to you while working on the laptop.. he's at the least interested in you I think, otherwise he wouldn't be sitting that close.
Even if he might not be interested in you I think I would still give him a time-out, if only so he can calm down a bit.

How long did you wait before you moved him away?

May I ask why you think he doesn't love you yet?

His name is Rainbow. I say he doesnt love me yet because he only comes near me if I'm playing love bird sounds on my phone. Im probably not giving him enough credit but for now he doesn't care to be with me unless have the sounds on.

I waited about 20 seconds before I moved him away. I think it was too late and he didn't associate the moving to him lunging at me.
it's weird I'm playing the sounds now and he's dancing around my chest and nipping at my nose. I think I'm being too picky.

I really want him to step up but He is still scared of my hands and moves away when I put them close to him. He is definitely not scared of my face though Right now he's biting my lips and nose gently.

I'm being impatient, right?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It does take a long time to tame a bird, in @Khizz 's case, her birds have been with her for a year (?) And they're still not willing to step up. (They were aviary birds, and that contributes to their fear)

I would suggest a perch he can stand on and you xan carry instead of your finger, most birds are okay with that before they're okay with a hand.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I say he doesnt love me yet because he only comes near me if I'm playing love bird sounds on my phone. Im probably not giving him enough credit but for now he doesn't care to be with me unless have the sounds on.

I waited about 20 seconds before I moved him away. I think it was too late and he didn't associate the moving to him lunging at me.
it's weird I'm playing the sounds now and he's dancing around my chest and nipping at my nose. I think I'm being too picky.
...so make your own sounds?
I can´t speak for other lovebird folks, but mine love when I make a variety sounds. My boyfriend makes a strange whistle that Lapis now copies. Me and my boyfriend also started our own flock call to each other for fun, a simple ¨Pi-Pew¨, but if I call this in a certain way, most of my birds will call back.
They like when we make beeps and boops, whistles and clicks, they look engaged when we talk to them. I find they aren´t as interested if we are silent.

Worth a try :)

Vittror

Jogging around the block
His name is Rainbow.
Completely read over it, sorry! Nice name :)

I think you waited a bit too long indeed. Maybe next time try to react quicker if possible.
I also think it's better to remove x (your hand/treat/toy) from him and give him some time (few seconds or something) to cool down than it is to remove him from that situation by first having to 'catch him/have him step up on a branch' and then putting him somewhere else.
The 'catching/stepping up on the branch' might give him stress (especially if you try to do it in a hurried way) and he might link that with being put down somewhere else, not with the biting.
I'm not completely sure about the last part - but from what I saw with my own birds it doesn't sound too far-fetched I think.

These things cost time for you and for Beau both. It's a learning progress for both of you.

For example: I know what I have to do when one of my birds bites me: remove my hand/treat/attention/the nice thing from them, wait for a bit (give them time to cool down) and then continue with what we were doing.
Instead of that I often first get startled, react by saying something (to my bird) and then the 'hey I shouldn't say something to my bird and remove the nice thing from them and continue the process'.

I think by doing these things and keep doing them it becomes kind of automatism? So it should become easier.

I would suggest a perch he can stand on and you xan carry instead of your finger, most birds are okay with that before they're okay with a hand.
Good idea!
I also moved him away using a branch and placed him behind me afterwords, i forgot to mention that
You said you used a branch to place him behind you, does he voluntarily step up on that?

...so make your own sounds?
I can´t speak for other lovebird folks, but mine love when I make a variety sounds.
My lovebirds love this as well! :)
With my birds it also helps to mimic (as much as possible) the sounds they make.
The beeps, boops, whistles and clicks Zara was talking about also work with my birds :)

I'm being impatient, right?
I'm not sure whether impatient is the right word.
I understand if you have hopes/dreams or maybe even expectations of how you would like your bond with your bird to look like.
And that's a good thing to have. But I think it's important to realize that not every bird is the same and every bird has their own personality/character.
And some things might be possible to do with your bird where other things might not.
It could also be that some things take more time than you might like/or expect but that's not necessarily a bad thing I think.
I think it's important to stay honest to yourself and your bird about your expectations and where needed to lower them and go along with the pace of your bird.

On youtube for example there are lots of videos of other people's birds doing amazing tricks, being scritched/'cuddled', hanging out and so on.
But I think what a lot of people tend to forget is that it took a lot of time, energy and trust to even reach a place like that for those owners and their birds.

What I also think is important to realize is that birds don't necessarily* show affection the same way for example dogs and cats do.
*There are always exceptions.

Sometimes Whiskey likes me to scritch his head and other times he'd rather have I do not do that.
That doesn't mean he loves me less or completely not at all. Just that at the moment he doesn't feel like it and that's okay as well!

My budgie is still afraid of hands but he likes it when I'm sitting in the same room as him reading aloud a book for him.
He's relaxed at those moments and sometimes starts beak grinding or he shuffles closer to be near me.
At the same time I still can't pet him or hang out with him outside his cage, but that's okay as well.

I think it's really positive that Beau wants to hang out with you even if it might look like he only wants to warm his butt on your laptop or that he only wants to do so when you're playing lovebirds sounds.
To me it sounds like you two are on the right track :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My lovebirds love this as well! :)
With my birds it also helps to mimic (as much as possible) the sounds they make.
The beeps, boops, whistles and clicks Zara was talking about also work with my birds :)
Today on the way home from our office, I pulled up to the traffic lights at the T junction, it was quiet and we had the windows down, I heard the lovebird in the garden of the corner house cheep once, so I called PiPew out of the window and s/he called back. My boyfriend and the lovebird spent the next two minutes whistling back and forth :lol:

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
Well I’m patient with my bird friend. She’s like Mommy chirp , chatter, screams. I was like silly what are you doing in a gentle voice