• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our First Cockatiel

Kilina

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jo
Hello there! :)

Last week (Tuesday 4th February) we got a Lutino Cockatiel, Lumi. We got him from another family who had 2 other cockatiels; Lumi was the youngest of the 3, around 3 months old. His feathers are clipped, was hand reared and lived outside the cage.

Since Lumi lived outside the cage we let him roam around (only in one room) to get acquainted with his new home. We put him in a cage when it’s time for him to go to sleep (we also place him in a quiet room so that his sleep is not interrupted).

He didn’t want to interact with us the first two days, which is understandable. Around the third day he started eating from our hands and even climbed on our heads/shoulders. Sometimes he’s a bit crabby, other times he’ll spend hours on us. We built him a small playing area for him; we made him a perch, some toys, a swing (which now has been substituted for a ladder which he really likes) and he has food there too. He spends most of his time in the playing area; nibbling and hanging about. We think he likes it. We also play birds sounds (usually female cockatiel sounds) and he shows interest in them, he usually responds and listens attentively (not sure if this is bad practice or not..?)

Now here’s what I’m trying to understand, every time we try to pet him he get’s nippy and/or hisses. He doesn’t want us to touch him or anything. But then again he has no problem getting on us and staying there for hours. His crest is usually up or flat and down. I don’t think he’s ever been relaxed since we’ve got him.

I fear that we may have let him roam around before he got used to us. The problem is that when we got him, we left him in the cage and he went into panic mode, hence why we let him out of his cage…

Any ideas on what we can do? I’ve tried to bribe him with food/treats but that doesn’t seem to work (he usually does that biting motion).

Attachments

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I may get blowback from this but here is my opinion: I personally think it would be wiser for him to get use to your voice if he was in a cage. I have always felt that a bird should have a big roomy cage to call his/her very own. That will be their space, their sanctuary. If left out birds can get hurt. Why don't you try putting him in a nice cage and sit outside of it and just talk to him in a quiet and calm voice? Read from a newspaper, or book. if you run out of things to say.

Please remember that it has been only one week and right now he is terrified.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @Kilina (Jo) Welcome to the avenue! Lumi sounds (and looks) like such a cutie. After only 10 nights of being with you, this sounds like marvelous progress to me. Things go on their timeline, that's for sure. I'll bet if you keep talking softly to him and keep him in a relaxed atmosphere, he will allow you to socialize more with him! What a beautiful guy he is. :welcome2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he’s settling very well to me. It hasn’t been very long, so just be patient with the scratches. It might take months for your bird to accept them, and some birds never like them. Just make sure you never force him to do anything and give him treats with your hands so he will think of them positively.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is cute! Just take things at his pace.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
The problem is that when we got him, we left him in the cage and he went into panic mode, hence why we let him out of his cage…
Maybe the cage was too small. I think in time your tiel will bond with you more :) Try showing him hands are his friend by offering some millet spray from your hand :]