• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our first backyard chickens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
It is very adorable :) I could never ignorantly support the commercial poultry industry cause of faces like those :heart:

CuteHippieChic

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kitty Mel
It really does.. Looking at this little chick and watching my daughter and her interact.. The little chickens don't deserve factory farming =( Watched a video online one time of the horrors they live thru at those factories is heartbreaking!!!

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
So cute! I wish I could have chickens but we have a nasty raccoon problem here. :(

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
My daughter just got 6 peeps, but one passed away. We're looking forward to watching the others grow.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I really wanted to do this! I researched, planned the coop, looked at chicks, the whole 9. In the end I didn't do it because I am scared of hawks! Do you have any advice on that end, I would really like to do this if I can keep the hawks away! I wanted to do free range by day and in the coop at night but I got too nervous :(

Your pics are great! I would frame those 2 pics of your daughter, she is absolutely adorable :heart::heart::heart:

CuteHippieChic

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kitty Mel
I really wanted to do this! I researched, planned the coop, looked at chicks, the whole 9. In the end I didn't do it because I am scared of hawks! Do you have any advice on that end, I would really like to do this if I can keep the hawks away! I wanted to do free range by day and in the coop at night but I got too nervous :(

Your pics are great! I would frame those 2 pics of your daughter, she is absolutely adorable :heart::heart::heart:
I think everyone should have backyard chickens.. This will be our first year with chickens =) I live in a tiny town in very rural Nebraska.. we have tons of predictor animals.. raccoon, hawks, vultures, and the occasional coyote. Our solution to this problem is building a large flight area out of chicken wire with a chicken house inside... we have a total of 6 chickens ( we bought more than we needed in anticipation of possible chick loss.. all are super healthy and doing great) I would think you wouldn't need to go super huge if you only bought a couple chickens.. the lady down the road has a movable coop small ish in size and her two chickens seem to be thriving!!! I think we can keep chickens but with hawks like you and I have the free range idea isn't in the cards...

Thanks for the kind words.. I defiantly should frame those pics of her..:heart:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Those photos are breathtaking! I love the two with your daughter in them!

Such cute little creatures. I eventually would like to own some, but every time I consider it I think back to the horror of having them at the horse farm I use to have my horse at. Poop everywhere!!! Literally once I stepped on like three wet piles at once and slid and almost fell in it!! :eek:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Great photos, they are both adorable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.