• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our double yellow head has bonded with my blue front....now he's more aggressive

ChicosMom

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Mooney
My husband and I got my blue front Amazon which has taken to me and not him. We have since got a double yellow head which is more friendly with him. He attacks me even if I'm just walking through the house he will chase me on the floor and try to bite me (and has). For some reason he has bonded with my blue front when they are out and about now. At this point he will let my husband pick him up but will shortly fly down off of him to get closer to my parrot. If I am sitting there holding my parrot he has to sit on the floor below the couch just watching. We can't trust him and are wondering how we can possibly un-bond them so that he stops so much aggression towards us now. He's better with my husband but very, very unpredictable. I have to also mention that my blue front seems to care less about being bonded with him. He doesn't have to be next to him and is perfectly fine and loves being with me. It seems to be a one sided relationship lol. His parrot seems to be dominant over mine as mine will lower his head so his can preen him. Any ideas to break this behavior? They are in separate cages also. Rico (his) just always wants to stay on Chico's (mnine) cage. Doesn't care to go back to his cage unless he wants to eat or he's locked in. HELP!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll tag someone for you. @melissasparrots do you have any info on this sort of thing?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would put them in separate rooms personally and not ever let them see each other. There is a decent chance the aggression you are seeing in your DYH will keep getting worse until he can no longer see your bird. Also, realize we are getting into the hormone season so many yellow headed and blue front amazons will go through an intense aggression phase about this time of year. The difference though is that a male that is pair bonded with a another bird may show that behavior year long with maximum intensity.

ChicosMom

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Mooney
Thank you so much! So when we take them out we should do it at separate times I’m taking it. That way they cannot interact with each other. We generally let them out in the house so they can walk about. I guess we still could just as long as we do it at separate times and they are in separate rooms at all times. Correct?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess it depends on your level of tolerance for aggression. Also, I would be careful of allowing an amazon to roam around on the floor. They might try to find a nice dark nook somewhere, claim it as their nest and defend it from whatever body part gets too close. Having another bird that is considered a love interest around will just make all that much worse. I would have them out at separate times, in separate rooms. No visual contact.

ChicosMom

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Mooney
Thanks again! My blue front as crazy as it seems, is the most domicile bird I’ve ever seen. Others have commented on it as well lol. He has no interest in the DYH at all as far as protecting him or getting aggressive. He has never ever even thought about biting. We will try keeping them separated and see if the DYH improves.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Birds are individuals. Secret (my avatar) is just plain ornery but .....at times, can be sweet. I know her personality and don't trust her but do give skritches on my lap (with protection).

MC was my other blue front and he was my best buddy (passed from cancer).....but had it out for my hubby. He'd flutter at him when he walked by the cage. Funny.

ChicosMom

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Mooney
Awwww sorry about your baby . My blue front flips his wings at him and will run up to his feet if he’s walking about lol. He’s definitely picked me