• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OUR BABY BIRD IS AN AWESOME FLYER!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Idk how to upload videos on here but we noticed that for his age of a little over 7 weeks he is a great flyer!

Here is a link to my Instagram story! I’m on private but if you can’t view my story I will put it to public for a couple hours:

Day 1: He flew around and landed on the highest edges of the living room and kitchen. He crashed a few times at the wall, kitchen cabinet, window and painting. He didn’t seem entirely scared of us but was scared easily by sudden noise and movement.

Day 2: He crashed some more but not nearly as much. We took the paintings down as it looked like was trying to land on them. He also tried landing onto us a couple times.

Day 3: He crashed way less and started to land onto the couch, the top of his cage, the lamp, the top ledge of our window, the blanket makeshift curtain, and our hands and head. We would reach out our hand to the direction where we thought he was flying to and he landed! We took this opportunity to see if we could possibly train him to fly to us. We just gave him praise and millet every time he successfully landed on anything and extra treats when he landed on any piece of us.

Day 4: He only crashed once! We continued giving him treats and praise when he successfully landed. When he was chillin on the lamp, cage, or couch we would walk a few feet away from him, he would notice and then we would get millet and put our hand out and the millet behind that hand and told him to “come!” He started flying towards us and did it 4 times yesterday. He’s not scared of being without us. His body language always seems relaxed and a little fluffy and he always grooms himself. This only related to when he is out of his cage. He’s starting to enjoy his cage though because since day 3 we have let him out of his cage for more than 8hours. Me and my s/o are doing online classes and always at home in our tiny 500 square feet apartment. He absolutely loves sitting on the lamp and we even put his food and water bowl to make sure hes not hungry.

Day 5: He hasn’t crashed at all!!!! He missed my hand this morning and ended up making a U turn in the air and landed perfectly! He is also eating his veggies without me having to pick it up and offer it to him.

What else can we do to help him with his training?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Birds are usually very quick to learn the flying skill :) Nice to hear you´re making great progress with recall training :starshower:

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Birds are usually very quick to learn the flying skill :) Nice to hear you´re making great progress with recall training :starshower:
I didn’t realize that I didn’t respond back! But yes thank you! I have had a few other birds in the past but have never trained them as I was still a child and my parents didn’t realize how clipping their wings were detrimental...They realized their mistake and are encouraging Mango the 14yr old conure to fly more :)