• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Unimaginable horror...Unfortunately accidents happen. When you have other predatory pets even other birds injuries are always possible. Even if you don;t then there is chemicals used by a guest or cleaning woman or a neighbor burning garbage. This is the 2nd death by dog in a few weeks & I just can't imagine living with that thought of treasured birds life ending like that. Thing is most of us have hearts & we hurt. Still it happens every day. I still think of Kobe & his daughters last thoughts flying into a mountain or that police woman that was run over by a car after she rescued an elderly woman who fell in the street. I really don;t even want to hear of these things as they shake me deep in my soul...Thing is its done & nothing you can do to bring them back. Its not fair...33 years is a long time...

I'm so sorry but you cant blame your wife. Sometimes I misplace my keys as I forgot where I left them or a receipt I needed & it happens. Things happen no matter how hard to try to remind yourself to do something.We are human & we are not infallible. You had 33 beautiful years so please try to focus on them & be thankful you shared those years together because at some time out loved ones check out & so do we & sometimes its not peacefully in our sleep.

I try to hang onto logic & reason in these times as the pain of the loss in tragic circumstances is enough to make us sick...I mean it...You bird would not want that...Grief can age us & make us ill...

I know the dead silence & looking at the cage & the trauma are all around. Can you put the cage in another room or something like that. Perhaps a memorial. For weeks people were leaving flowers where the woman was run over & the masses are all surrounding mourning a basketball player but for the rest like us we just have a few loved ones & AA who can share in our loss...

:sorrow: :sadhug2:

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Thank you everyone for your condolences.:( Yes, her cage was cleaned and put away. We have a plant standing where her cage stood for the last 12 years. I was so full of rage and anger at my favorite dog that I can't bring myself to even pet her, yet she greets me everyday at the door. I let go of the anger and rage and negative emotions are not healthy. I'm picking up her ashes next week in a lovely little engraved cedar box. I too am reminded about the horror Kobe's wife and family are going through. Your thoughts and perspective was sincerely noted.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry that this happened, and I can only imagine your pain and sorry. I hope you can somehow find peace.
:sadhug2:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry for the tragic accident that has come to your household. I hope you find peace again. We always miss them and accidents leave us with so many ..what ifs. I am very sympathetic to your situation. Sending sincere warm hugs. :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss. They fly into our hearts, and leave feather dust on our souls... forever....

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so very sorry. This is such a tragedy, and I know you both must be devastated. Huge hugs to both of you. :sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Give it time. Was not making light of it just trying to say in this world these things happen & we have to go on. Birds are children to many of us...The loss is just as deep. Possible another senior bird lost his person so when you are ready but then again your dog is a bird dog so she should not be around birds.

:sadhug2: :sorrow:

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved winged companion. It is not anyone's fault, it is just one of those awful tragedies that unfortunately happen. I hope you do consider adopting a senior bird, there are many who are going through their own losses and could use a loving person like yourself.

Once again, I am so sorry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so very sorry for your loss. And I know it's easy for me to say, but don't be mad at your dog. Instinct is a powerful thing.

Last edited:

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Tilly...I have let go of the anger towards my dog. My wife still has a hard time looking at her. I am doing better, my wife a tad. The grieving will take a long time. We miss her so much. I hope you are doing better. We can't take the chance of adopting a bird of any kind. Any one of our 5 dogs would kill it and we are not going through it again. If this happened 20 years ago I would have considered it. Not now . that ship has sailed unfortunately. 3 of our dogs probably have another 10 years. When they are gone , that will be the end of our pets. We'll be well into our 70"s. Our pets were treated extremely well. My wife does everything for them makes their own, food grooms them and our late Chickster as well. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. My wife read these also and found it very comforting. here she is with our first 2 schnauzers about 30 years ago. Never a bother with them

Attachments

Last edited:

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Hi.Thank you for your post. I have today posted on your thread. I too have problems looking at the rescue dog who did what she did. However she was a stray, picked up from Ireland so it was instinct. She had completely ignored Mr Jingles up until that day (If she was curious about him I wouldn't have kept him) but because of movement and the fact that we were not here, made the difference. She didn't and still don't know that her actions have caused me this much hurt so I cannot be angry with her. I have been told and researched shock/adrenaline rushes etc and also good people on forums have told me that the end would have been quick. I hang on to that thought. My partner made a mistake...we are human and ALL make mistakes. I also know that our parrots had beautiful lives with us and so many poor creatures never ever have that. Having said that the pain is still raw and it's true that the grief comes in waves. I guess we just have to keep swimming. We will always feel the love and admiration for them ...always.

ZymForever

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Our family is going through a similar tragedy, which is actually what inspired me to join these forums, to see if someone had gone through similar. On Saturday our beloved Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure Zym was killed by one of our dogs. We are also, our whole family, struggling with anger at the dog, but especially my husband. He wants to re-home the dog because he doesn't think he can love her the same way any longer. Grief isn't rational. I know, intellectually, that the dog was just being a dog, but it is so hard not to look at her and imagine. I feel so guilty too, so many what ifs. These little creatures leave such a deep impression on our hearts. Sending hugs to both of you, and anyone else, who experienced this kind of tragedy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Our family is going through a similar tragedy, which is actually what inspired me to join these forums, to see if someone had gone through similar. On Saturday our beloved Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure Zym was killed by one of our dogs. We are also, our whole family, struggling with anger at the dog, but especially my husband. He wants to re-home the dog because he doesn't think he can love her the same way any longer. Grief isn't rational. I know, intellectually, that the dog was just being a dog, but it is so hard not to look at her and imagine. I feel so guilty too, so many what ifs. These little creatures leave such a deep impression on our hearts. Sending hugs to both of you, and anyone else, who experienced this kind of tragedy.
I'm so sorry you also had to suffer such a tragedy in the loss of your conure. Truly, it is not the dogs fault for acting on natural instinct. We all wish to believe our other household companions wouldn't harm our birds but at some point with the right given opportunity it can happen. I'm sure your dog has forgotten about it and probably doesn't understand why you might not give it the same attention as it had before the tragedy. It wouldn't be fair to your dog to re-home because of it. The best you can do is create a memorial for your bird, remember the joy it gave you and love on your dog.... because she will always love you unconditionally.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I too struggled keeping the rescue dog. The rescue centre gave us 6 weeks to think about it. I had the same thoughts as you at the beginning of those 6 weeks...I could barely look at her. In hindsight I SO wish I hadn't got her in the first place. However, I know that she is attached to us and I'm not sure that I could pass her on to another home because at the end of the day she didn't know that it was wrong. I feel that something good has to come out of this heartbreak so I have chosen to keep her. The 'what ifs' and guilt also drive me crazy. I just keep telling myself that the 18 years with Jingles were happy...that is what I try to focus on. My thoughts are with you. This forum is always here if you need to talk. X