• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog two days ago. We are grieving terribly. My wife inadvertently forgot to latch the seed door and she went to work. Deedah got out and when she came home form work the scene was horrific. It looked like a pillow fight. Our Deeda was dead.
I can't stop crying. I can only imagine the horror she went through. We raised her from 6 weeks old. We have had 10 dogs during her lifetime. Our first 4 never bothered her. I would take her into the den at night close the door and we would watch TV. We have 5 schnauzers and only the eldest female was left out when we leave for work. I know it was an accident, but how do you get over the loss of a pet for 33years?
She was an absolute joy and now the house is silence as we no longer hear the constant talking and singing. She was my bird and I miss her terrribly.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so incredibly sorry for you loss. It is definitely hard to lose them and even more so when you experience a tragedy like this. :(

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow: My heart breaks for you. Leaving the feeder door open is such an innocent mistake. I've done it plenty of times, thankfully everything was ok for me and my birds, but there were times I felt I dodged a bullet. As for coping, I think you just take one day at a time.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I too am so very sorry you lost your bird to such a tragic event. I don't know if there can be any words to console you other than we feel your pain and have our deepest sympathies. Yours is the second bird in this past week to have been killed by a dog when a door was not latched and no one was home. It's not the dogs fault for her natural instincts. Many of us have made an error with not latching a door properly, we may not have had a loss but we can understand how a mistake can happen. Wishing you God's healing for your broken heart.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so terribly sorry for your loss :sorrow::sadhug2:

Marcy33

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marcy
I’m so very sorry to hear this. My heart breaks. I can’t imagine what your going through right now. Thank you for sharing a picture of your African grey. Beautiful picture. It’s so easy for accidents to happen and it’s never are intentions. Prayers for you and your family

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the pain you are going through. :sorrow:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
So very sorry for your loss. It is one thing to know your pet is ill, or old, are is nearing the end. You have time to prepare. But when it is sudden, it is so difficult. And it doesn't have to be one you have had for many years. Just one you love with all your heart. God bless you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can just imagine the grief and sadness you both are feeling. I am thinking once the overwhelming sadness of it all slows down you can in the future teach other new bird owners on safety when a dog or cat is also in the home. Maybe a check list to go through before leaving home. Sending you a birdie hug and healing.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry for your tragic loss. I wish you healing and solace in your grief.

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Oh thank you all so much for your kind uplifting words. It helps to hear from folks like you. People who have never had a bird don't know how attached you get to them. They are so intelligent and beautiful. . Unfortunately at age 65 I can't take i another bird of that nature with so many years ahead of it.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Unfortunately at age 65 I can't take i another bird of that nature with so many years ahead of it.
I'm so sorry.
I know it's too soon to think of it, but please realize there are some wonderful senior birds out there who have lost their people and need a loving home.
I only adopt the seniors myself and they are so wonderful.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I am sorry for your loss:sorrow:

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog two days ago. We are grieving terribly. My wife inadvertently forgot to latch the seed door and she went to work. Deedah got out and when she came home form work the scene was horrific. It looked like a pillow fight. Our Deeda was dead.
I can't stop crying. I can only imagine the horror she went through. We raised her from 6 weeks old. We have had 10 dogs during her lifetime. Our first 4 never bothered her. I would take her into the den at night close the door and we would watch TV. We have 5 schnauzers and only the eldest female was left out when we leave for work. I know it was an accident, but how do you get over the loss of a pet for 33years?
She was an absolute joy and now the house is silence as we no longer hear the constant talking and singing. She was my bird and I miss her terrribly.
Hello. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going through. I posted on here this week. My partner left the cage door open and went out for 2 hours. My beloved Amazon was killed by my rescue dog. There were feathers left...nothing else. I had him from 4 months old. He was 17 yrs old. I cry everyday. I loved him so much as he did me. We had been through good and bad times together. He had a massive personality. I too have had 8 rescue dogs over the years...never had any problems. I too imagine what he went through....it haunts me. Shazbug posted a very helpful reply. (My thread is two before yours) This happened 10 weeks ago. I can say that I feel just as sad as when it happened. But you do have to take 1 day at a time. These forums have kept me going. Your parrot was so lucky to have had a happy, long life with you. He is surely looking down on a very loving family indeed. My thoughts are with you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Hello. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going through. I posted on here this week. My partner left the cage door open and went out for 2 hours. My beloved Amazon was killed by my rescue dog. There were feathers left...nothing else. I had him from 4 months old. He was 17 yrs old. I cry everyday. I loved him so much as he did me. We had been through good and bad times together. He had a massive personality. I too have had 8 rescue dogs over the years...never had any problems. I too imagine what he went through....it haunts me. Shazbug posted a very helpful reply. (My thread is two before yours) This happened 10 weeks ago. I can say that I feel just as sad as when it happened. But you do have to take 1 day at a time. These forums have kept me going. Your parrot was so lucky to have had a happy, long life with you. He is surely looking down on a very loving family indeed. My thoughts are with you.
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss too. The images we keep in our mind of something like this is like a tapeloop that keeps playing over and over what the liitle innocent bird went through and we weren't there to save them. My thoughts and prayers are with you through this difficult time

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry for your loss