• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I am so sorry for your loss! Please don't blame yourselves - it was a true accident. I have had my girl for 9 years this year and all of my dogs up to this point have left her alone - except my newest guy, a German Shepherd. Ugh. He wants to catch her so bad and he got her one time (my fault) - I was clipping her nails and released her from the towel to fly back to her cage. She got caught up in the towel and went low and he grabbed her SO FAST! Thankfully no damage but it was then that I realized I had to be extra vigilant making sure she is locked and he is crated when we aren't home. And he is crated when she is out to fly. Please forgive yourself and grieve as you need to.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I can imagine how you feel... probably very hard to stop thinking about... terrible to consider, but we're human and we make mistakes that sometimes have terrible consequences. Try to forgive yourselves, and the dog.

ZymForever

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
I too struggled keeping the rescue dog. The rescue centre gave us 6 weeks to think about it. I had the same thoughts as you at the beginning of those 6 weeks...I could barely look at her. In hindsight I SO wish I hadn't got her in the first place. However, I know that she is attached to us and I'm not sure that I could pass her on to another home because at the end of the day she didn't know that it was wrong. I feel that something good has to come out of this heartbreak so I have chosen to keep her. The 'what ifs' and guilt also drive me crazy. I just keep telling myself that the 18 years with Jingles were happy...that is what I try to focus on. My thoughts are with you. This forum is always here if you need to talk. X
Thanks for this! I don't think we will re-home our dog but it is hard not to be angry. I too tell myself that she didn't know what she was doing, it was just instinct after all. When we get our next bird -- probably in a few months, it is all very raw right now -- we will have learned our lesson and the dogs and bird will be strictly segregated.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Hello. I have been thinking about you and your wife and was wondering how you both were doing x

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just so sad...the sounds of silence...so sad///

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I am so heartbroken to read this. Don't blame the dog. Don't blame the bird. Don't blame yourselves. Accidents happen, it's already a tragic enough of a situation without that ugly emotion trying to rear its ugly head. I know its difficult; think of the life of your Grey. Thirty-three years... holey moley you guys are one fantastic team of people. Make sure to keep on loving like that, it's not as common as people want to believe!

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Our African Grey of 33 yrs was killed by our dog two days ago. We are grieving terribly. My wife inadvertently forgot to latch the seed door and she went to work. Deedah got out and when she came home form work the scene was horrific. It looked like a pillow fight. Our Deeda was dead.
I can't stop crying. I can only imagine the horror she went through. We raised her from 6 weeks old. We have had 10 dogs during her lifetime. Our first 4 never bothered her. I would take her into the den at night close the door and we would watch TV. We have 5 schnauzers and only the eldest female was left out when we leave for work. I know it was an accident, but how do you get over the loss of a pet for 33years?
She was an absolute joy and now the house is silence as we no longer hear the constant talking and singing. She was my bird and I miss her terrribly.
I'm so sorry I understand what your going through I recently lost my rabbit who I raised from a baby and she died at the age of ten everytime I think about her tears come to my eyes I'm so sorry for your loss.