• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Hey Cindy..... Yes, we got Akando as a baby. We actually brought him home at four months. I don't know if it's because I spend so much time with him every day but I haven't noticed much of a difference in his demeanor from baby to youngster, other than he's more set in his ways. We do respect his boundaries, all of our fids have their own little boundaries here and there.

I didn't intend for my post to come across as though I'll probably re-home him within the next few years, that's not the case, none of our birds will ever be re-homed, some of our birds have had many homes already. In all honesty, when I'm at the office or just out and about, I can't get home fast enough just so I can grab Akando and hang out with him while I do the daily house chores, hang out, training....etc. On weekends, he and I do the gardening together. All our fids do different things with us each day for that matter, it's just that Akando needs a little more. This said, I still stand firm in the fact that I would have never gotten him had I known the true temperament of a Severe. I am pretty good at reading his body language which is very helpful in preventing bites but I do get a curve ball thrown at me here and there. I'm sure that if I hadn't continued to arm myself with more knowldege about Severes (and still do), the chances would have been great that I would have decided to re-home Akando. I truly DO love him though, he has a VERY strong bond with me and a pretty substantial bond with my other half, which used to be non-existent. I spend a good four hours of one on one time with Akando at the very minimum. Not only does he require it, I too, enjoy hanging out with him. Like all Severes, he's extremely comical. He has the ability to make anybody laugh, especially when he performs all the little tricks I've taught him, or decides to recite his long lost of words and phrases. Don't get me wrong, is VERY CUTE! He's just a handful. Hope I answered everything OK :D
You did! I didn't get the impression that you would rehome. I just appreciate your perspective on severes. Ringo sounds alot like your severe. She's not clingy or needy, but she will scream in a heartbeat if she wants something. And bite! LOL! The thing I notice about her that seems to be "greyish" is that she will try to go around offered treats to get to my finger sometimes. Another lady I know who has a severe says the same about hers!

I would LOVE to see some pics and videos of Akando! Severe parronts seem to be far between! Did you say how old yours is? If you did, I forgot. Thanks for the info!!

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
I rescued a 10 year old very neglected severe Macaw a few years ago. It took a full year to get him to come out of his cage and allow scritches. sometimes he was fine and so so cute and sometimes he was the meanest thing it was like he had 2 totally different personalitys one that was cute and nice and one that was as vicious as a rabbid wolf. One day I was standing by his play stand talking to him and scritching his little head and I turned my back for a second to get him a treat and he took a chunk out of my back the size of a quarter right down to the bone he just bit and ripped. Shortly after that I rehomed him he was just toto unpredictable It broke my heart because I had grown to love him but he just could not be trusted and I have a 14yr old daughter that I have to watch out for. Severe Macaws are the only birds that I feel should have been left in the wild they had no bussines being put in the pet trade.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Awww, that's sad. Ringo is like that sometimes. One minute, she's loving and sweet. The next second, she will lunge at me, ready to tear flesh! Mostly when my youngest son is around. Wow, she's a witch!

Status
Not open for further replies.