• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Other training treats other than millet?

tamagochi

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!! I was wondering if anyone had any advice on hand training my new budgie when they aren't very interested in millet. He's been settled in for about a month and a half now in a room where I am almost all the time. However, I think he is more scared of the millet than my hand! I've left some in his cage multiple times to hopefully try and show him it's yummy, but he doesn't even try to eat it unless he's done with his regular food/pellets/sometimes veggies if he's feeling like a good boy. I've also tried three different brand of millet in case it was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be so. (he does eat it in the end, but he doesn't seem very excited for it) My older bird that passed away last year was extremely curious, friendly and would sell her soul for some millet one week in, so this behavior definitely caught me off guard, haha. I've watched many videos and read many guides on training budgies, but pretty much all of them recommend rewarding them with millet as a treat. So, how would you recommend training a budgie who doesn't care much about millet, or does anyone have any recommendations for other treats? (or is millet something he will come to love...?)

Thank you!! :)

(also apologies if I've made any mistakes! First time ever using a forum and while I looked through a bit of the how-to's, I still wasn't sure if this should go in the budgie section or the food section aha)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The best treat for training a high value one. Figure out what his absolute favorite thing is and use that. Just because most budgies like millet, doesn't mean it's your bird's fave. Clearly, it isn't. Figure out what he really likes.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi
What’s his favourite out of his seed mix ? Take that out and he only gets it from you so maybe sunflower seeds safflower seeds

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
My budgie Percy didn't recognize millet as food until he saw another bird eating it!

Are you putting the whole head of millet it, or breaking off a tiny bud of it? You can also scrape off some individual seeds to see if he recognizes that as edible.